Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 22:46   #781
BHPian

Quote:
Simple Guidelines
  • Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.
  • Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.
  • Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.
  • Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)
  • Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.
  • If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge.
source: [SIZE=1][COLOR=#408040]FAQ - Lithium Ion Batteries* - Education
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Here you go seems like someone fiddled with wikipedia source.[SIZE=1][COLOR=#408040]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited by somebodystopme : 12th September 2007 at 22:51.
Old 12th September 2007, 23:00   #782
Senior - BHPian

full discharges mean complete discharging. Laptops usually get into standby once battery is dangerously low. So Li-ions in notebooks never really get discharged completely.

ABout removing the battery while running on power. Its not true. While battery is fully charged, mains do not affect it. you can check this with your notebook pc company technical support center. Except this point I agree completely to what the link mentions.
Old 13th September 2007, 16:20   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
full discharges mean complete discharging. Laptops usually get into standby once battery is dangerously low. So Li-ions in notebooks never really get discharged completely.

ABout removing the battery while running on power. Its not true. While battery is fully charged, mains do not affect it. you can check this with your notebook pc company technical support center. Except this point I agree completely to what the link mentions.
Hmmm about lithium ion batteries they also says that "Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory." Thus if you Dont charge your battery only when it is very low it wont affect your battery life.

Anyway I sent you address of shop regarding that pendrive thing. Any development there bro??
Old 15th September 2007, 01:49   #784
Senior - BHPian

I havent received your PM. Can you send again?
Old 21st September 2007, 07:34   #785
BHPian

problems with the laptop

hey guys, i thought i could use some help. I think either a virus or spyware is preventing me from accessing orkut, youtube and loading firefox. It says "ive been banned or dont use" in the message that pops up. Ive run scans, removed at least 6 viruses and trojans, but no such luck..any help? other than a full reformat which i unfortunetly cannot do because my CD's are back in india :( (im in the states right now)
Old 21st September 2007, 08:20   #786
Senior - BHPian

you could try dowloading opera using internet explorer. also, install Zonelabs firewall, and prevent any outgoing conncetions other than the port 80 (http) and your outlook port 25 (if you use outlook express that is). and then check. If you are using a dell, you can call their helpline, give them the service tag number and ask them for acopy of the CD.
Old 21st September 2007, 08:20   #787
BHPian

Try an antivirus called Avast. It has a deep scan facility, scans archives also, and a boot scan. Used it successfully in my home comps affected by a similar problem.
Old 21st September 2007, 08:36   #788

Hi CaliAtenza

Looks like your Laptop is infected with MS32dll.dll.vbs .
Its a worm and major anti virus ( Norton , AVG , trend micro ) softwares are unable to detect this worm.
I have a removal tool for this virus , Please give me your mail ID if you want it .

Regards
Prashanth
Old 21st September 2007, 08:48   #789

Hi Caliatenza ,

Sorry for not posting full solution for the problem .
Here is the method to clean this worm .

and sorry to that in previous replay i called this worm as MS32dll.dll.vbs where as its actually w32.USBWorm .

I have simple tool to clear this worm or else you can try the method given below to clear the worm manually .

Go to Start Menu>Run and type regedit .

In the Registry Editor browse to this entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHO WALL and in the “Checked all” key reset it back to 1 from 2.

Now you can change the settings in the folders option. Now delete the folder C:\heap41a .

clear all the key entries from this registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run which says heap41a.

Now the virus infection is removed 100%. Before you are done make sure you format the usb drive it doesn’t infect other systems too.

A
Old 21st September 2007, 10:42   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanth Hegde View Post
Hi Caliatenza ,

Sorry for not posting full solution for the problem .
Here is the method to clean this worm .

and sorry to that in previous replay i called this worm as MS32dll.dll.vbs where as its actually w32.USBWorm .

I have simple tool to clear this worm or else you can try the method given below to clear the worm manually .

Go to Start Menu>Run and type regedit .

In the Registry Editor browse to this entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHO WALL and in the “Checked all” key reset it back to 1 from 2.

Now you can change the settings in the folders option. Now delete the folder C:\heap41a .

clear all the key entries from this registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run which says heap41a.

Now the virus infection is removed 100%. Before you are done make sure you format the usb drive it doesn’t infect other systems too.

A
I am still having the problem, do i need to restart the computer after i do this? i could not find the heap41a folder, but the registry keys i did take care of.
Old 21st September 2007, 17:35   #791

Hi

I belive you have got the download ( Rapidshare ) link which i have PM you .
The link is to download the worm removal tool .

Regards
Prashanth
Old 25th September 2007, 10:49   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanth Hegde View Post
Hi

I belive you have got the download ( Rapidshare ) link which i have PM you .
The link is to download the worm removal tool .

Regards
Prashanth
i ran the tool, it said the virus was removed but no such luck. I am still expierencing the same problem.
Old 25th September 2007, 12:16   #793
Senior - BHPian

If nothing has worked so far, perhaps you could try the following:
Do you have Restore turned on? By default it is on at install. I'm presuming you use XP. Try to make a restore to an earlier date where you are sure your windows was OK.
If that doesn't do it,
In Folder options, turn on 'show hidden files and folders'. Also turn on 'show hidden op sys files'.
Then in My Docs & Settings, your account, local settings delete the entire contents of the folder 'Temporary Internet Files'.
In C drive Windows folder, delete all contents of 'Temp' folder.
Reboot your machine.
There are also sites that will do an online virus check for your machine.

Best of luck.
Old 27th September 2007, 10:25   #794
BHPian

Hi CAliAtenza,

On noticing your response to P Hegde's problem I thought I might ask you few of my queries.
I have subscribed to two online trading terminals namely ICICIDirect and Sharekhan.
However I am unable to open stock charts in the research section of these terminals as I get a message on the bottom left corner of the browser (IE 6.*) ERROR ON PAGE /DONE with a yellow triangle. I am also not able to open the contract notes which are .ssig format after saving them on my computer. A lot of mailers and reports from ICICI which are as a link to a an article also dont open. A blank page opens with a mesage in the bottom left corner as 'Done with a yellow triangle'.

Where as there are other sites like moneycontrol.com where the charts show up normally.
I have written to the customer care of these sites but to no avail. I am using genuine windows XP with SP2 and I update it regularly. Also let me know how to download Microsoft VM on my machine. It is COMPAQ Celeron Laptop.
Old 27th September 2007, 11:06   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

I need to buy 6 new laptops next week (for office use). Portability and weight is not an issue, these laptops are mainly being bought to save table space.

We already have some (IBM)Lenovo C series and I am pretty happy with them. My budget is below 35K per piece. Applications run will be Microsoft Windows XP, Office, Tally and Outlook.

If anyone has any better suggestions, I would be very thankful. Or I will just buy more Lenovo.

I called Dell computers, but they take too long to deliver, I need to buy these in a few days.

Most Viewed