Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-6.html)

With the low airfare's being advertised for Singapore (e.g. Mumbai-Sing-Mumbai@Rs.14,000!!), it would make more sense to fly there, buy a laptop and fly back! You would still end up with something cheaper and better speced than one officially bought in India.

Plus, you get a nice mini-vacation too!

Quote:

alienwares are damn cool dude but the prices are damn high and iv heard that the quality and after sales service is Crap
If you are looking at premium brands, might want to check out http://usa.asus.com/products/notebook/nbindex.htm also. Simply fantastic quality!

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulken Auto

Tlover and khanak Alienwares are for different purpose not for daily surfing I know they have for surfing also but AW is meant for high end graphics.hence costly. check the latest desktop ALX Liquid cooled.

No man Alienware does have some serious gaming pcs but they have a range of notebooks meant for students. I tihnk its the Sentia range. Runs on a Centrino and therefore is a real notebook

Told you they offer everything , but AW is popular for gaming power.
If you r american kid, the first thing that comes to mind for word AW is gamin....

I have a xps which is a competitor of AW (gamin segment) this is for laptops

Quote:

Originally Posted by khanak
No man Alienware does have some serious gaming pcs but they have a range of notebooks meant for students. I tihnk its the Sentia range. Runs on a Centrino and therefore is a real notebook

i dont think they have the centrino in AW machines ..i checked last week on the canadian website and they had the P-4's ..
yeah ..they are big man ...student laptops ... i am in 2 minds ...wether to go wid power n bulk ..or go for somethin way smaller like the VAIO ..

cheers

Check out the website again. They do have a Centrino laptop
Its damn slim nd sleek. Beautiful Looking Machine. Dont know about the service though. Heres the link

Alienware Centrino Laptop

i'v been looking around for 1..
this looks like a nice deal

ThinkPad R50e 1834 - Pentium M 715 1.5 GHz - 15" TFT
Manufacturer Warranty 1 year warranty
Processor Intel Pentium M 715 1.5 GHz
Hard Drive 40 GB - 4200 rpm
Networking Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
RAM 256 MB
Graphics Controller Intel 855GM
Audio Output Sound card
Cache Memory 2 MB - L2 Cache
Optical Storage CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo - integrated
Display 15" TFT active matrix XGA (1024 x 768)
Telecom Fax / modem - CDC - 56 Kbps
Input Device Keyboard, TrackPoint
Battery Lithium Ion
Built-in Devices Speaker, wireless LAN aerial, ThinkLight
System Type Notebook
Mobile Technology Intel Centrino
Wireless NIC Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Run Time (Up To) 4 hour(s)

Price : 44,000/-

i'm getting this with a carry-bag & a 128mb pen drive free
this model doesnt have a touch-pad.. i know i'l need an optical mouse anyway ( to use photoshop etc )

what do u guys think ?
i basically need it for min. 2 yrs.. doing an mba

Go for the one with 3 year international warranty, IBM turns out to be a very costly affair when it comes to spares and accessories.
Also the integrated video card 855GM is a poor performer for games and other graphics intensive applications, ok for business use tho.

My thinkpad has both trackpad and trackpoint, but i never uses the trackpoint, trackpad is very easy to use.

Also note that computers business of IBM was bought by a chinese company recently... :)

lenovo has bought out IBM's PC business. I dont it matters though.

Most if not all laptops are made in China. Lenovo (fomerly Legend) is a huge brand in China so much so that even Dell has been unable to dislodege it from the nunmber 1 spot in China.

Lenovo has also retained much of IBM;s staff in countries where it did not have a presnese (incl India). In a similar story Haier might buy out Maytag but I dont think Maytag will be any less. Chinese cos as well as Indian cos are now globally competitieve is their practices.

BMW bought out Rover and Rolls Royce. Ford bought Jaguar. etc. Very often all that changes hands in these buyouts is the brand not much else.

That said this present generation of Thinkpads will the last with the IBM logo on them.

Acer is launching a 25k notebook powered by AMD

If i buy a branded laptop from america like a Vaiio, Dell or Toshiba.....all of which are established in India too...then will Indian base of the company provide additional warranty?If anyone has bought a laptop from abroad and then bought 3yrs warranty from India do let me know. Thanx

Quote:

If anyone has bought a laptop from abroad and then bought 3yrs warranty from India do let me know. Thanx
If you buy a laptop with a global warranty, you must get service and support in any country that the manufacturer has a representation in. I have friends who have bought Sonys, HPs and IBMs from various parts of the world yet got free repair / support in India when their equipment required it.

And yes, you can buy extended warranty for your imported laptop in India. My Presario X1000 was offered an extended warranty by HP India for either Rs. 8,000 or 12,000 to cover it during a two year period. I dont remember the exact amount since it was a while back.

GTO

Acer has international warranty and low prices. htey also have a service network in India. I believe an amd acer notebook like acer aspire 3000 acer aspire 5000 or the old sempron will do the basic work for us. No need to spend more just for internet surfing ,music, movies and a bit of games.

Hatari

If you travel abroad a lot, look at the number of countries that the company provides service in under warranty. Especially those countries that you might frequent often.

I use a Dell 4150 fromt the US and made sure that it did cover India in its warranty, way back in Nov 2002. I went for an extended one year warranty here in India which expired last Nov. Since then the computer has gone twice for under warranty issues without any expenditure.

What you need to take into account is your use. Specially look at battery life. For instance Vaios dont last for more than 2 hours, Dells for 3 and IBMs for 4, except some IBMs which have a 6-12 hour battery life. Purchase a spare battery if you are heavy user at places without an AC point. Finally, do go for one with a touch-pad. It'll take no more than a week to get used to it.

Revv

P.S. Some laptops don't take heavy use well, especially those that are used like desktops.