Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-7.html)

Though off-topic, felt adding some humour...... My friend just got a new Dell laptop from US. It's so big that we all are joking whether it requires a whole nuclear power station to run it and it's power adaptor is the size of a brick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatari
i'v been looking around for 1..
this looks like a nice deal

ThinkPad R50e 1834 - Pentium M 715 1.5 GHz - 15" TFT
Manufacturer Warranty 1 year warranty
Processor Intel Pentium M 715 1.5 GHz
Hard Drive 40 GB - 4200 rpm
Networking Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
RAM 256 MB
Graphics Controller Intel 855GM
Audio Output Sound card
Cache Memory 2 MB - L2 Cache
Optical Storage CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo - integrated
Display 15" TFT active matrix XGA (1024 x 768)
Telecom Fax / modem - CDC - 56 Kbps
Input Device Keyboard, TrackPoint
Battery Lithium Ion
Built-in Devices Speaker, wireless LAN aerial, ThinkLight
System Type Notebook
Mobile Technology Intel Centrino
Wireless NIC Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Run Time (Up To) 4 hour(s)

Price : 44,000/-

i'm getting this with a carry-bag & a 128mb pen drive free
this model doesnt have a touch-pad.. i know i'l need an optical mouse anyway ( to use photoshop etc )

what do u guys think ?
i basically need it for min. 2 yrs.. doing an mba

for about 4 K more (48K) you can buy an Acer with 64 bit AMD Processor / 256 mb RAM / DVD Writer (yes not DVD CD-R Combo) / 60 GB of HDD and a massive cinemascope type screen...
this thing also comes with wireless LAN (802.11 g...i.e. 108mbps)connectivity in this price..
We recently bought one from the ACER Shop in Prasad Multiplex...suggest you check this one out...if you are interested in an ACER..I will rummage thru the papers to get you the model number...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revvmaster
I use a Dell 4150 fromt the US and made sure that it did cover India in its warranty, way back in Nov 2002. I went for an extended one year warranty here in India which expired last Nov. Since then the computer has gone twice for under warranty issues without any expenditure.

How did you go about getting the warranty from dell and how much did they charge you for the same. Thanx.

i have just recently bought a laptop finally before getting to coll.
well its a dell inspiron 6000 series......1.5 centrino, 2mb cache, 512 DDR 2 @400mhz ram, 60 gb 5400 rpm, 15.4 WUXGA screen(ultra sharp...a bit expensive but worth it), and approx 4.15 hrs batt. life.....got ripped acc to foreign prices as it bought it in india cost me 78315/- but im very happy with it works awesome and is recommended to all.....i also got a complete cover package wherein anything goes wrong even intentionally like a water/coffee spill its covered.....

i have been looking around for some time and have this in mind...let me know what you guys think.

compaq 2015

centrino 1.5 GHz, 256 mb ram ,40 gb hdd ,15"tft dsip,wi-fi...
it has bluettoth and os is xp.

so how does that sound ??

rev

Quote:

Originally Posted by revtech
i have been looking around for some time and have this in mind...let me know what you guys think.

compaq 2015

centrino 1.5 GHz, 256 mb ram ,40 gb hdd ,15"tft dsip,wi-fi...
it has bluettoth and os is xp.

so how does that sound ??

rev

go for a DVD writer too...centrinos are ok..I also use one (Dell) ....but If I remember correctly they only support 802.11b (11mbps) wireless LAN while most of the routers nowadays are 802.11g (108mbps)..good for everyday use but bad if you have to do heavy duty data transfer on the LAN.
BTW, what is the price you are getting this for?? If you capture lots of movies from camcorder (Digital ones only) then you may also want to have a firewire card in that one...

I bought an IBM T42 recently from dubai.. and the ITW(international travellers warranty ) has a catch.. if your an indian citizen then they will not recognize the warranty in india fo a laptop bought in dubai.. as to claim ITW you need to be a citizen of dubai(UAE) or having residency there.. since I have my dubai residence permit .. could claim the warranty on the adapter..
guys.. before buying such stuff go thru the ITW clauses..
ITW is valid for people traveelling like.. u buy a laptop in india and ona tour to another country you can claim the ITW...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffetfan
go for a DVD writer too...centrinos are ok..I also use one (Dell) ....but If I remember correctly they only support 802.11b (11mbps) wireless LAN while most of the routers nowadays are 802.11g (108mbps)..good for everyday use but bad if you have to do heavy duty data transfer on the LAN.
BTW, what is the price you are getting this for?? If you capture lots of movies from camcorder (Digital ones only) then you may also want to have a firewire card in that one...

im getting it for Rs 50750 with a one year warranty.is that good?? and was thinking of a dvd writter any idea how much adiitional it would cost .

so the one i have will it be fine for daily use and quick connec.

Rev

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil
How did you go about getting the warranty from dell and how much did they charge you for the same. Thanx.

Hey Sahil, u can call Dell support in India, they shall send an executive over (atleast that's what happened with me), who will complete all formalities and you should receive your extended warranty. I paid close to 6k for the one year warranty.

Revv

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffetfan

the centrino mobile technology is not only good but its the best so far for laptops....it supports 802.11 a/b/g wifi connections

whats the difference in 802.11 a/b/g/ wifi ?? and is the price im getting it at okay.is the one i have chosen good enough or should i go in for something better.

rev

revtech, 802.11 b is the standard wifi connection you will find anywhere in say a barista....its the slowest.....g is the best as it is fast and free frm interference whereas a is the fastest but prone to interference...least common and not recommended.

all laptops with centrino give you b and g which is good enough.

i think the deal you are getting is good enough if your usage is not high end.

Carbon Fibre laptop anyone?

Specs Overview:
* AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-37 (1MB L2 cache, 2.0 GHZ)
* 1GB DDR RAM (Expandable up to 2 GB)
* 100 GB HD
* DVD+R (double-layer)
* 15" TFT LCD
* ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 graphics, 128MB DDR memory
* VGA, DVI-D (digital visual interface-digital) and S-video TV-out ports
* 5-in-1 card reader for optional MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO or xD-Picture Card
* DVD±RW
* 802.11G
* Bluetooth

The world's first mass-produced carbon-fiber cover, powerful AMD Turion ™ 64 Mobile Technology and stunning looks merge flawlessly to form the distinctive Ferrari 4000 !

Price: US$ 2,199

Quote:

Originally Posted by revtech
whats the difference in 802.11 a/b/g/ wifi ?? and is the price im getting it at okay.is the one i have chosen good enough or should i go in for something better.

rev

You can always choose something better - technology keeps moving. The new laptops on the scene now offer HEXABAND Wireless networking (any of 6 standards).

The point is, what is your requirement and which of these technologies meet it - if you want the latest you will NEVER buy any electronic equipment as you will keep waiting of the next big thing which the manufacturers helpfully keep informing us about...

Anyone buying a laptop - Go in ONLY with Intel Centrino Processor.
Advantages -
1.A much longer Battery Life- I had a Toshiba Pentium-4M processor laptop before my current one..and man,the battery runs out within 45-50 minutes of normal surfing/listening to Audio..
Currently,since past 1 1/2 year,I'm using HP Pavilion 1.5GHz Centrino 15.4 inch display laptop..works great..no problems so far.
The battery life it gives me on normal browsing/audio is around 2 hours 45 minutes..which is around 4X given by the older Pentium 4M processor !
Wireless B is the normal standard Wi-Fi,which is also termed 802.11b..it works at a link of 11Mbps max between the source(Wireless Router) and the receiving station(The laptop)..
Wireless G is 802.11g,which is current Standard in USA,working at a Maximum Link of 54Mbps between the source and receiving station.
Wireless A - Don't go in for it !!..EVER..Outdated,but has excellent Link Speed..but worst part- A very very short range of wireless connectivity from the Base Station(Router)..
Centrinos come with built-in Wireless B or G..I have Wireless B built in..
Also - if you can shell out a few extra $$,go in for a laptop with 15.4inch Widescreen display..you'll love it..Don't go in for the normal 15 inch ones..the difference between the 2 displays is excellent... the 17 inch display laptops are more better..but again,they have the battery life problem,and will eat up the battery pretty fast..
And then a few More Extra $$ - Go in for a laptop with DVD-Writer - Dual Layered Capable(+/-),atleast 8X speed..(I have 2X,and it's so damn slow)..

Happy shopping !

sr