Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2011, 10:00   #2746
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post

Yups, we Indians get a raw deal in the high-end segment. I really wanna get a Asus G53Jw, and it costs 25k-30k more in India. Even if you import it from international sellers, it turns out to be cheaper, although not by much, if you factor in shipping, customs duty, countervailing duty, waking up the customs officer duty.....
the g53jw seems to have a severly flawed screen in review. and thers only a 100usd differenc between it and the g73jw even though the g73 has better HD, screen, cooling, better upgradability and same battery life. g73jw sells at amazon for 1499USD. im hooked onto it, thanks anku =) .
Does any one have another competitor for this lap?
Old 9th January 2011, 10:33   #2747
J.Ravi

I am interested in buying a Dell PC for my home use. Which is the best source to buy from, Dell online or dealer? If dealer, which is the best in Bangalore? Will there be cost difference between these two sources? I find normally for home appliances, it would be economical to buy them from the dealers rather than the company showroom. Kindly enlighten me.

Old 9th January 2011, 11:51   #2748
Senior - BHPian

Desktop is best assembled then bought branded. You save quite a bit and get what you need. Also I have found on various occassions that companies disable various advanced options.

Dell PC's are good though. dell online are good if you can bargain. If you know what you need then dealer is better. Why not compare both and then decide?
Old 9th January 2011, 13:01   #2749
J.Ravi

Thanks, devarshi84, for kind advice. I will check with the dealers, and then, decide.

Old 9th January 2011, 18:09   #2750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
the g53jw seems to have a severly flawed screen in review. and thers only a 100usd differenc between it and the g73jw even though the g73 has better HD, screen, cooling, better upgradability and same battery life. g73jw sells at amazon for 1499USD. im hooked onto it, thanks anku =) .
Does any one have another competitor for this lap?
Well, there are a couple of options.

1. Toshiba Qosmio - Comes with 18" screen. @tsk1979 bought one, there's a pic in this very thread.

2. Dell Alienware - The M15x is $100-$200 expensive but has positive reviews as well.

3. MSI GX660 : Very VFM lappy, but no idea about build quality or anything.

I too couldn't choose between G53 and G73, not that it matters, I'm not getting one for another 6 months at least.

These are about the only options I found. Then there are others like Sager or Clevo at Gaming Laptops - XOTIC PC - Gaming Notebooks - Custom Laptops - Custom Notebooks , you can check them out as well.

BTW, could you post the link of the review that describes the G53 screen as 'flawed' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I am interested in buying a Dell PC for my home use. Which is the best source to buy from, Dell online or dealer? If dealer, which is the best in Bangalore? Will there be cost difference between these two sources? I find normally for home appliances, it would be economical to buy them from the dealers rather than the company showroom. Kindly enlighten me.
You should pick a model and compare. It's hard to generalize, as sometimes, especially in the lower end, branded PCs offer tremendous VFM.

One thing : if you buy online, bargain with the executive for a discount. With luck, you may get anything between 10%-25% off.

Last edited by anku94 : 9th January 2011 at 18:10.
Old 9th January 2011, 19:06   #2751
BHPian

Quote:
Well, there are a couple of options.
BTW, could you post the link of the review that describes the G53 screen as 'flawed' ?
flaws listed for all the asus Gs:

g53jh and g73jh: these run the ati graphics and though were good once eventually they were outperformed by the SW updated nvidias. and they run hot.

g53jw A1: these have the bad screen problem. everythings perfect if u sit perfectly in center but even a slight change in viewing angle supposedly brings out black patches.

g73jw A1: optical drive is loud when in use, power saving features result in random crashes. not related to cpu load

g73jw 3DE has all these flaws ironed out and the hdd is dual hybrid too, but no RAID0.

Id been surfing around forum.notebookreview.com so most of the stuff was from there. i also read about the g53jw A1 screen problem in some review as well.

the 3de models are far too expensive for me right now, they've only been released a few weeks ago. I'm putting of until they reach the USD1500 mark.

And their looks remind of the lambo reventon =)

Last edited by di1in : 9th January 2011 at 19:12.
Old 10th January 2011, 03:15   #2752
BHPian

Quote:
g73jw 3DE has all these flaws ironed out and the hdd is dual hybrid too, but no RAID0.

And their looks remind of the lambo reventon =)
3DE ? Never knew it existed. Just checked it out and the specs are kindda cool, but worth the additional $400 ? I dunno, the only difference seems to be a hybrid drive.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10th January 2011, 07:35   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
3DE ? Never knew it existed. Just checked it out and the specs are kindda cool, but worth the additional $400 ? I dunno, the only difference seems to be a hybrid drive.

Thanks for the info.
Supposedly they used the extra $400 to rectify the older problems =)

New features are:
3D screen.
Brighter screen
Silent optical drive
Hybrid HDD (resulting in better battery life under browsing/MSoffice)
Backpack, 3D glasses and asus gaming mouse come bundled with it.

And if you customise it at powernotebooks.com u can steal it for around $1750
Old 10th January 2011, 07:42   #2754
J.Ravi

Quote:
One thing : if you buy online, bargain with the executive for a discount. With luck, you may get anything between 10%-25% off.
Thanks for the tip, anku94. I didn't know about the discount while buying online.

Old 10th January 2011, 10:59   #2755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, anku94. I didn't know about the discount while buying online.
Yes, though Dell tries to project that the prices are final, you can bargain like hell if you are persistent. A friend bought both his Dells over a span of two years at a hefty discount. The method is to ring them up, find the price and ask for a discount, and tell them you will think about it. After that they will normally ring you up regularly and you can go ahead and negotiate.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:38   #2756
BHPian

@anku94 Would you by any chance remember the price for the g73jw when you had considered it and could you tell me how long it's been since you did. I want to speculate when the next price reduction might come by. And how good is asus customer service in india?
Old 10th January 2011, 14:47   #2757
Senior - BHPian

For those looking at an Asus gaming pc with no budget restrictions. Heres something worth considering.

Asus Lamborghini VX7 multimedia and entertainment notebook | Bloggerisme [dot] Com Online Technology News, Specifications and Review

I personally have the vx6.
Old 10th January 2011, 16:35   #2758
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The method is to ring them up, find the price and ask for a discount, and tell them you will think about it. After that they will normally ring you up regularly and you can go ahead and negotiate.
Thanks a lot, Aroy, for reavealing the modus operandi. I shall negotiate and try to get the maximum discount.

Old 10th January 2011, 16:46   #2759
Senior - BHPian

If you are buying from US, you can also look at deal2buy.com. It would have these deals for popular Dell/HP/Lenovo models.
Old 10th January 2011, 17:58   #2760
BHPian

Quote:
Supposedly they used the extra $400 to rectify the older problems =)

New features are:
3D screen.
Brighter screen
Silent optical drive
Hybrid HDD (resulting in better battery life under browsing/MSoffice)
Backpack, 3D glasses and asus gaming mouse come bundled with it.

And if you customise it at powernotebooks.com u can steal it for around $1750
Why do Americans get the best of everything ??

Although the 3DE is also VFM once you compare apples for apples. The 3D glasses alone are worth $100. And then two hard disks, both hybrid, it's a pretty good deal.

Quote:
Anytime.

Quote:
@anku94 Would you by any chance remember the price for the g73jw when you had considered it and could you tell me how long it's been since you did. I want to speculate when the next price reduction might come by. And how good is asus customer service in india?
I've just been looking at it for a week or two. Never had an eye on the price fluctuations as I was mostly looking for my options in the 50k-75k range.

No idea about the customer service either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
For those looking at an Asus gaming pc with no budget restrictions. Heres something worth considering.

Asus Lamborghini VX7 multimedia and entertainment notebook | Bloggerisme [dot] Com Online Technology News, Specifications and Review

I personally have the vx6.
There's no mention of the graphics card of VX7 on the net, and the VX6's graphics [NVIDIA ION] are not in the league of Geforce 460 and HD 5870 either. Although the lappy sure looks hot.

Given the very glossy finish [apparently, unless the pics are photoshop], did you get scratches over time on the body ?

Last edited by anku94 : 10th January 2011 at 18:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks