Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2015, 12:09   #4321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post

To satisfy the former quoted requirement, you should most definitely be looking at an SSD in the laptop with at least 8G RAM. But then I doubt it'd satisfy your latter requirement.
Really?
But my office dell used to do all this with 2 GB, on windows 7.
I can raise my budget, if need be, but would prefer to keep it as low as possible. Else I'll just get a PC assembled at Nehru place, as a last resort.
Old 20th March 2015, 21:45   #4322
Senior - BHPian

New Dell Inspiron 7000 series?

I need to upgrade my laptop. Main use case for a high end machine: photo processing. Need it to last for a long time, and be more or less future proof for the next few years.

Any feedback on the new Dell 7548? I am looking at the 15 inch model that has 16GB RAM, 5th gen Core i7-5500U processor and AMD Radeon™ R7 M270 4GB DDR3 video card. Costs 87K.

Any other option that has similar/better performance for same price?

I prefer Dell because of their responsive support. But if the performance is significantly better, I am willing to look at another brand.
Old 21st March 2015, 02:34   #4323
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Dell Inspiron 7000 series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I need to upgrade my laptop. Main use case for a high end machine: photo processing. Need it to last for a long time, and be more or less future proof for the next few years.

Any feedback on the new Dell 7548? I am looking at the 15 inch model that has 16GB RAM, 5th gen Core i7-5500U processor and AMD Radeon™ R7 M270 4GB DDR3 video card. Costs 87K.

Any other option that has similar/better performance for same price?

I prefer Dell because of their responsive support. But if the performance is significantly better, I am willing to look at another brand.

With the given specifications the Laptop must be super fast! The only thing i will say is i prefer Nvdia over AMD Radeon.

Last October i picked a laptop too. Even my sole purpose was photo editing but my budget was 50,000rs. I stretched it till 57,000 and picked up a HP with 8gb ram, 2gb Nvdia Graphics card, 4th Gen i7 processor. I must say Photoshop is breeze with this configuration. Works like layering or masking is no longer slower like my old Laptop having a 2 gb ram. Even unprocessed HD video's directly from the camera can be played without getting stuck.

Just one suggestion with your budget you can have a look at the Mac Desktops. I have used them in a rented studio for editing some pics for a profesions work and i must say i was impressed. Am accustomed in using windows so at the beginning getting used to the Mac Os took a bit of time.

Last edited by Samba : 21st March 2015 at 02:36.
Old 21st March 2015, 11:10   #4324
BHPian

Hello. Photography and Cinematography is my hobby. So I spend most of the time editing on my laptop. Well I am having a sony vaio with 4gb ram, 1gb graphics card and i5 processor. But still Adobe After Effects works horribly on my laptop with ghastly rendering time. Like 2 hrs for 8sec rendering.

So dear BHPians, can you guys please help me to know the exact specs required for After Effects to learn smoothly without lagging?
Old 21st March 2015, 12:48   #4325
Team-BHP Support

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Folks looking at spending above 35k for a laptop, do consider an SSD as well. Makes a world of difference in day-to-day computing. Having invested in one for my desktop during 2010 (and another one couple of years back), I can safely say this was one of the best investments I have made as far as computer components go.
Old 21st March 2015, 15:27   #4326
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I am looking for a replacement for my 14" Thinkpad in around the same price range. Sturdiness is very important. I am planning a 3 year warranty and prompt, good at home service is important. Lenovo's service is OK but I had tons of stuff replaced in the warranty period - Motherboard, HDD, the secondary memory slot, the hinge etc. Though they did it free, it always causes a disruption.

What Companies and models should I look at?
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:53   #4327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am looking for a replacement for my 14" Thinkpad in around the same price range. Sturdiness is very important.

What Companies and models should I look at?
How about the Panasonic toughbooks? No personal or anecdotal experience, but that's where I'd look.
Old 24th March 2015, 17:06   #4328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

Just one suggestion with your budget you can have a look at the Mac Desktops. I have used them in a rented studio for editing some pics for a profesions work and i must say i was impressed. Am accustomed in using windows so at the beginning getting used to the Mac Os took a bit of time.
What do you think of MacBook Pro with retina display model (2014) with 8 GB Ram. I am thinking of gifting it to my wife who does a lot of media work and is planning to start a run from home business.
Old 24th March 2015, 19:14   #4329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
What do you think of MacBook Pro with retina display model (2014) with 8 GB Ram. I am thinking of gifting it to my wife who does a lot of media work and is planning to start a run from home business.
To be very honest i have not used a Macbook pro Laptop. The one i used was a desktop with a bigger screen and had 4 gb ram. With 4 gb ram it was really fast. The retina display of mac in one word is just awesome. So configuration wise the macbook pro should be good or even better than the one i used. Only thing i like to mention is, a bigger display screen is always better than a smaller laptop screen for media related works. If your wife is comfortable working with small display screen then it should be more than fine.

Last edited by Samba : 24th March 2015 at 19:17.
Old 24th March 2015, 21:22   #4330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Go for the 15 inches , i7 with Graphic card . I have both 13 as well 15 and there is appreciable differences . Shop at Amazon / Flipkart where you can get close to 12-18 % discounts or wait for the new ones in couple of weeks - those will have 5th Gen processor

http://www.amazon.in/Apple-MGXC2HN-1...words=i7+apple
Old 24th March 2015, 21:52   #4331
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
How about the Panasonic toughbooks? No personal or anecdotal experience, but that's where I'd look.

I think that's way more expensive than the Thinkpad. I was looking for something in the same price range as a Thinkpad. Max budget upto 70-75K with 3 year on site warranty.
Old 24th March 2015, 22:38   #4332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
With the given specifications the Laptop must be super fast! The only thing i will say is i prefer Nvdia over AMD Radeon.

Just one suggestion with your budget you can have a look at the Mac Desktops.
Dell doesn't have any Nvidia option (at least in India) for the new Inspiron laptop. I don't know why they have stopped folks from creating custom configurations. Efficiency, margins, economies of scale, I get it - but that used to be a USP for Dell.

I don't want to move to Apple OS yet. The Nikon photo processing software I use, is dated, no longer supported (WHY, Nikon???) and is buggy with the latest Apple OS. I can get away with Windows 8.1 or 8 for a while.
Old 25th March 2015, 04:12   #4333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

I think that's way more expensive than the Thinkpad. I was looking for something in the same price range as a Thinkpad. Max budget upto 70-75K with 3 year on site warranty.
Look into Dell Latitude
Old 25th March 2015, 08:32   #4334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
Hi TechGurus,

Can anyone suggest me few good laptops in the range of 30-35k?

1.Good reliability and After sales
2.good screen resolution and size (NOT 17in, looking at 15in odd)
3.Performance specifications if not high can be moderate as well (4GB RAM/500GB HDD/good processor)

Thanks

The asus x550 range perfectly is a perfect option. Though id recommend pushing to the 39k model which gives you a core i5 and a 1TB HDD along with a 2GB graphics chip. Ive got the asus in the i5 and i7 guise, and its definitely worth it.
The build quality of the 39k asus beats my 47k worth vaio purchased in 2013.
Further on later, the ram can be upgraded to 8gb for a small amount as well.
Old 25th March 2015, 13:57   #4335
Senior - BHPian

A Mac with a large display would be better for media related work compared to a 15" MBP, unless she would need to go out and make presentations using the portable in which case MBP is the way to go (maybe 17").

Whichever way you go do get one with a SSD instead of the usual HDD. I upgraded the RAM in my 15" MBP from 4 to 8 GB and the improvement was like 10%. The latest upgrade to a 500GB SDD has seen performance increase exponentially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post

Most Viewed