Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2015, 15:15   #4336
BHPian

Re: New Dell Inspiron 7000 series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Go for the 15 inches , i7 with Graphic card . I have both 13 as well 15 and there is appreciable differences . Shop at Amazon / Flipkart where you can get close to 12-18 % discounts or wait for the new ones in couple of weeks - those will have 5th Gen processor

http://www.amazon.in/Apple-MGXC2HN-1...words=i7+apple
My budget is aroiund 70-80k max. Hence the 15+ is not within the reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
A Mac with a large display would be better for media related work compared to a 15" MBP, unless she would need to go out and make presentations using the portable in which case MBP is the way to go (maybe 17").

Whichever way you go do get one with a SSD instead of the usual HDD. I upgraded the RAM in my 15" MBP from 4 to 8 GB and the improvement was like 10%. The latest upgrade to a 500GB SDD has seen performance increase exponentially.
She will be travelling and making presentations also thats why was thinking of 13 inch. Later we can add a monitor at home with a bigger display. Is there anything in windows (dell, HP...) which is similar to the Mac spec that I should also look at? Given the priorities are display and processing speed.
Old 25th March 2015, 22:36   #4337
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Dell Inspiron 7000 series?

I am no expert but I doubt it. My MBP is an early2011 non retina display model and came with an i7 then. Last year my boss got himself a Dell Latitude with an i7 and a full HD screen but the display on the MBP is leagues ahead as is the processing speed (compared for routine office tasks only). The speakers on the MBP are again in a different class altogether. I use my MBP's 15.6" screen for small video presentations and it allows for a group of 5-6 people to be able to view and listen to the product videos without any external help and this in thin walled cabins located on noisy factory shop floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Is there anything in windows (dell, HP...) which is similar to the Mac spec that I should also look at? Given the priorities are display and processing speed.
Old 26th March 2015, 13:06   #4338
Team-BHP Support

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
My budget is aroiund 70-80k max. Hence the 15+ is not within the reach
In that case don't put money on Apple , whatever you will get in this range from Apple will not be worth for the equivalent windows product .. stick with windows 8 - something from Dell / Lenovo
Old 26th March 2015, 20:10   #4339
Senior - BHPian

Guys I'm on my 5 th laptop which just crashed yesterday. All my previous 4 laptops were Windows and the one that just crashed is a Macbook Pro. What amazes me is that all 5 them crashed due to hard disk failure And it happened when my hard disk was 80% full. I'm so fed up of constantly dealing with the same problem. I'm cynical about buying a new laptop without being clear about this hard disk failure. Will buying a laptop with SSD solve my problem and if yes what is the best recommendation on Windows or Mac? Thanks.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 26th March 2015 at 20:12.
Old 27th March 2015, 14:39   #4340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Guys I'm on my 5 th laptop which just crashed yesterday. All my previous 4 laptops were Windows and the one that just crashed is a Macbook Pro. What amazes me is that all 5 them crashed due to hard disk failure And it happened when my hard disk was 80% full. I'm so fed up of constantly dealing with the same problem. I'm cynical about buying a new laptop without being clear about this hard disk failure. Will buying a laptop with SSD solve my problem and if yes what is the best recommendation on Windows or Mac? Thanks.
Are you letting your disk get really hot?

If you're getting an SSD you'll have avoid filling it up to that extent.

Crtl + F 'free space' in http://www.pcworld.com/article/21100...anagement.html
Old 27th March 2015, 22:37   #4341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Are you letting your disk get really hot?

If you're getting an SSD you'll have avoid filling it up to that extent.

Crtl + F 'free space' in http://www.pcworld.com/article/21100...anagement.html

Thanks nareshov! No, I ensure the temperature is optimum during operation. Just found out that the OS has gone corrupt but the HDD is still safe. SSD option is really tempting the only problem being space. I store a lot of pictures and currently my HDD stands at 300 gig. Thanks for the link. Was a useful read.
Old 27th March 2015, 23:21   #4342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

To satisfy the former quoted requirement, you should most definitely be looking at an SSD in the laptop with at least 8G RAM. But then I doubt it'd satisfy your latter requirement.
I actually went a little off track here.
I picked up an Asus x450c for close to my budget. It's an i3,500gb,4gb. And I've connected my old lappy to my workroom telly via Hdmi, and hooked a wireless keyboard and mouse to it. It runs my torrents and couple of my site emails, as well as chrome running stats, and the facebook page for the site. And torrents. I just switch input every few hours to have a check.
The Asus is for my own mail, general browsing, Docs etc. The remainder, basically.
Working out for now.

Now, I just have a flexpad10 that's gathering dust. I just wish there was some way to get rid of windows 8 from it. The only thing on that suitable for 8 is the touchscreen, everything else is Tailor made for 7. But there's absolutely no way to get rid of 8 from it.
Old 5th April 2015, 21:42   #4343
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Need your inputs on a laptop for my wife. She is a freelance trainer who needs to lug her laptop to wherever she needs to take a class. She currently uses an Acer laptop (around 13" screen), which is very useful and fits into her handbag snugly. Only issue is that it is 3+ years old and is slowing down, and also losing battery time. This apart, it does not have a CD drive. She gets all her training material on CDs.

She ordered an Acer E5-511(P) on snapdeal for around 20.5 K. The laptop looks real cool in red colour, and comes with Win 8.1. Only issue is that it is too large to fit into her handbag (has a 15.6" screen). But she can live with that. The bigger issue is that the wi-fi adapter seems to be weak. It does not latch on to our router from the bedroom, though the old one does. Even my laptop does latch on from there. So it looks like the adapter is as weak as those from Apple (yes, my iPad does not latch on).

We've decided to return the product, but are confused on what to go for. Something smaller with a good network adapter and CD drive is our priority. And of coures, it should have Windows o/s. Price could be around 20 to 25 K.

Would really appreciate your inputs.
Old 5th April 2015, 21:55   #4344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All my previous 4 laptops were Windows and the one that just crashed is a Macbook Pro. What amazes me is that all 5 them crashed due to hard disk failure And it happened when my hard disk was 80% full
Are you sure on Mac - Pro - they shifted to SSD a while back and Mac OS is quite stable. If possible try to keep high resolution pictures in separate HDD or invest in Time Machine
Old 5th April 2015, 22:37   #4345
Senior - BHPian

Well, SSDs crash too and unlike the HDDs they go suddenly without a warning of any kind. If you have a SSD it is absolutely essential to have a daily back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Are you sure on Mac - Pro - they shifted to SSD a while back and Mac OS is quite stable. If possible try to keep high resolution pictures in separate HDD or invest in Time Machine
Old 6th April 2015, 00:16   #4346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys

Need your inputs on a laptop ......................

.......... Price could be around 20 to 25 K.

Would really appreciate your inputs.
Hi. You can check out this laptop. Though screen size still is 15.6, it is best bang for the buck in your budget.

http://www.flipkart.com/hp-15-g049au...MEY34HEHBBH9TV
Old 6th April 2015, 10:36   #4347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
Hi. You can check out this laptop. Though screen size still is 15.6, it is best bang for the buck in your budget.

http://www.flipkart.com/hp-15-g049au...MEY34HEHBBH9TV
Many thanks. But we'd prefer something smaller. Like one without the numeric keypad, which is normally the culprit for extended dimensions.
Old 6th April 2015, 10:38   #4348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys

Need your inputs on a laptop for my wife. She is a freelance trainer who needs to lug her laptop to wherever she needs to take a class. She currently uses an Acer laptop (around 13" screen), which is very useful and fits into her handbag snugly. Only issue is that it is 3+ years old and is slowing down, and also losing battery time.

Have you tried opening it up and cleaning the fan? There's bound to be a lot of gunk attached to it trapping heat and dropping the cooling efficiency.
Old 6th April 2015, 11:31   #4349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you tried opening it up and cleaning the fan? There's bound to be a lot of gunk attached to it trapping heat and dropping the cooling efficiency.
Issue with the old laptop is not the heat, but the battery time, and speed.
Old 6th April 2015, 14:37   #4350
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I'm on the look out for a new laptop. But I'm an absolute noob when it comes to tech. Criteria:

- Should be light, so 13" screen is best.
- Internal space needs to be good.
- It should be reasonably fast.
- CD Drive is a must.
- Good battery back-up

Budget is 30k-40k.

What are my options?

Most Viewed