Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2016, 12:37   #4786
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Dell has just launched its range of 7th gen intel i5 and i7 laptops in India. A dell inspiron 5000 series version with an i7/8gb ram from the new range was up for around 65k on amazon when i saw yesterday. The pricier 7000 series should be slightly higher
Thanks Mate. I am fine with the 5000 series as I find it to be decent enough on specs and mostly will fit my usage. 7000 would be an overkill for my usage is what I feel. The only thing I am unable to decide is between the i5/7 and RAM that I should be looking at. Apple seems to be giving the i5/4GB combo and from what I got to know from few, it is pretty brilliant as the OS is not memory hogging like windows. So a lower config Mac will work as good as/better than a higher config windows (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Just saw this pop up on Amazon. HP with a 7th gen Core i5 for 54K.
Not sure on HP though on the after sales. That's the only reason I shortlisted between Apple and Dell
Old 4th October 2016, 13:51   #4787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Thanks Mate. I am fine with the 5000 series as I find it to be decent enough on specs and mostly will fit my usage. 7000 would be an overkill for my usage is what I feel. The only thing I am unable to decide is between the i5/7 and RAM that I should be looking at. Apple seems to be giving the i5/4GB combo and from what I got to know from few, it is pretty brilliant as the OS is not memory hogging like windows. So a lower config Mac will work as good as/better than a higher config windows (?)

Not sure on HP though on the after sales. That's the only reason I shortlisted between Apple and Dell

Im a mac user myself. I have the 15 inch retina model. The 4gb ram combo is too low to run el capitan/sierra and handle resource intensive applications on it. The i5 is decent, but look for an 8gb ram spec at the bare least.

Between dell and hp, my pick is dell solely for its after sales.
The 7000 series is practically the same in terms of specs, its the novelty and build quality that gives it the price bump. Im a sucker for good looking gadgets 😬
Old 4th October 2016, 16:14   #4788
BHPian

Unfortunately the 8GB ones seem to be a bit higher on price and bit out of my territory. Considered apple only because a friend said that the Air 13" is the best one out there and can give better performance just by adding an SSD if required. Going by what you say, I think I am going to have to restrict it to Dell. The 7000 series I think has SSD while the 5000 doesn't. I suppose that's the major difference. Thanks for the inputs though
Old 6th October 2016, 10:32   #4789
BHPian

Hey everyone !!
I am on a laptop hunt since the past few days, and I have shortlisted the below laptops:
1. HP Pavilion x360 13" 2in1/i5-6200/8GB RAM/1TB 5400rpm HDD/integrated graphics/has the best speakers)
2. Dell Inspiron 7000 series (which has been discussed on this thread as a VFM, best looking and best after sales support)
3.HP Omen 15" i7-6700/12GB RAM/128GB SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD/ 4GB Nvidia GeForce 965M)
4. Lenevo Yoga 510 14" (i5-6500/4GB RAM/ 1TB HDD/ integrated graphics)

Laptops like the HP Spectre is way out of my budget, although is looks very sleek and beautiful.

A bit of history about me: My current laptop is a HP Pavillion dv6-2150 with 1st gen Core i5, 4GB RAM, 640 GB HDD and Nvidia GeForce 230M which I have been using since the last 6.5 years. I usually prefer fixing the Laptop myself (changed HDD once about 3 years back as it had crashed and changed LED screen 4 years back as it was having dead pixels, which spread to about 50% of the screen). I "WAS" a gamer; but now since the last 3 years I havent played any mainstream titles; the last game I played was "Assassin's Creed 3". I am a doctor right now, and I am not sure about future plans for gaming. I thought of buying a 2in1 convertible as it would serve most of my purpose of editing documents and presentations on the go, watching some videos, etc. If the 2in1 laptops are just a gimick, do let me know.

My choices are not limited to the above laptops, but it would be nice if someone could point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance
Old 6th October 2016, 12:25   #4790
BHPian

Given that you dont have a heavy usage, a core i5 will actually suite your needs than the i7 which will be an overkill. If you are looking at the Dell 7000 series, i feel you can also consider Apple Air/Pro as well. Given that your looking to carry it around, a 13/14 inch is best suited as it will help you travel light
Old 7th October 2016, 02:46   #4791
BHPian

Quote:
Given that you dont have a heavy usage, a core i5 will actually suite your needs than the i7 which will be an overkill. If you are looking at the Dell 7000 series, i feel you can also consider Apple Air/Pro as well. Given that your looking to carry it around, a 13/14 inch is best suited as it will help you travel light
Thanks for the advice, but same like buying cars, I went with the heart and bought a Dell Inspiron 7559, 15.6" FHD, Core i7 6700, 16GB RAM, Hybrid 1TB HDD+8GB SSD, Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB VRAM. I did not buy the one with 4K resolution and touch screen; I didn't feel the need of this laptop having a touchscreen (but the 4K resolution will be missed).

So far, so good.
Old 7th October 2016, 10:14   #4792
BANNED

@themonster; I personally feel that a touchscreen is a big plus with Win10. However, I may add that the 'touch' part of my Lenovo Iflex14 packed up at about the same time that I upgraded to Win10. Later I found out that my son's Iflex 14 as well as my d-i-l's Yuga have functioning thochscreens on Win10. So the bug must be in my Iflex14. I must say I have got used to it and have no issues. Also, my MacPro does not have a touchscreen though it has a very clever touchpad.
Old 7th October 2016, 10:16   #4793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
Thanks for the advice, but same like buying cars, I went with the heart and bought a Dell Inspiron 7559, 15.6" FHD, Core i7 6700, 16GB RAM, Hybrid 1TB HDD+8GB SSD, Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB VRAM.
How much did it cost and where did you get it from? I myself got a Inspiron 5567 i7 (7th Gen), 8GB DDR4, 4GB GDDR3, 1TB HDD, 15.6" FHD. Initially booked the Inspiron 7000 series but later cancelled it because it did not come with a CD drive and at present I surely need it.

Last edited by centaur : 7th October 2016 at 10:18.
Old 11th October 2016, 21:24   #4794
BHPian

Quote:
How much did it cost and where did you get it from? I myself got a Inspiron 5567 i7 (7th Gen), 8GB DDR4, 4GB GDDR3, 1TB HDD, 15.6" FHD. Initially booked the Inspiron 7000 series but later cancelled it because it did not come with a CD drive and at present I surely need it.
Sorry for the late reply. I was in Dubai last week and I bought it from there (Shop called Sharaf DG). It costed me AED 4200; which translates to around INR 75600.
I didn't know that laptops have started coming with 7th generation processors (Kaby Lake). Thanks for the information
At the moment, I might need CD drives (most of the books I buy for study purposes come with a CD/DVD or some sort); but the internet, especially google and youtube have far more information on topics, even on research topics which might have been published a few hours back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@themonster; I personally feel that a touchscreen is a big plus with Win10. However, I may add that the 'touch' part of my Lenovo Iflex14 packed up at about the same time that I upgraded to Win10. Later I found out that my son's Iflex 14 as well as my d-i-l's Yuga have functioning thochscreens on Win10. So the bug must be in my Iflex14. I must say I have got used to it and have no issues. Also, my MacPro does not have a touchscreen though it has a very clever touchpad.
What you say is 100% true, about touchscreens and Windows 10; and I initially wanted a 13"-14" 2in1 convertible laptop (like the HP Pavilion x360, HP Spectre x360, Lenovo Yoga 510/710); but then it was it was a battle between the mind and the heart; mind wanted the convertible, heart wanted a high-end desktop replacement kind of laptop. Finally, I followed my heart. The price of the Dell Inspiron 7559 with 4K resolution and touchscreen display was a near the HP Spectre price range, and I personally didn't feel the need of a 4K resolution right now.
Old 26th October 2016, 21:02   #4795
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking for a budget laptop for basic usage and have narrowed down my choices to the following machines.

1. Lenovo ideapad 100 core i3 @27k: https://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-idea...PPTWZVNJ54KH4H

2. HP 14 inch core i3 @32k: http://www.amazon.in/HP-14-AR002TU-i...ords=hp+laptop

Please advise which one to opt for? My budget is 30k and looking for following specs:
Screen size: 14 inch or smaller
Ram: 4GB
HDD: 500 GB or more
Platform: Windows 10
Processor: i3
Old 26th October 2016, 22:59   #4796
BHPian

[quote=drmohitg;4082416My budget is 30k and looking for following specs:
Screen size: 14 inch or smaller
Ram: 4GB
HDD: 500 GB or more
Platform: Windows 10
Processor: i3[/QUOTE]

I purchased this for my nephew two weeks back
https://paytm.com/shop/p/lenovo-idea...E210529B1258D5

It cost about 25k then and it is slightly higher now. It has a newer i3, which is why I went for it. It is an import and so only has dealer warranty. It is also a 15.6" and not 14", else it matches your need.
Old 27th October 2016, 09:50   #4797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am looking for a budget laptop for basic usage and have narrowed down my choices to the following machines.
Check out the Lenovo G-40-80. Retails for around 30k on Amazon. Good specs, matches and surpasses your requirements in certain areas, e.g. hard drive is 1TB. Have bought this a month back, and its performing well. Fairly light as well, so easy to carry around.
Old 27th October 2016, 10:10   #4798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Check out the Lenovo G-40-80. Retails for around 30k on Amazon. .
Can you also check Lenovo Thinkpad series in a lenovo shop as well? I recently checked out lenovo exclusive shop and they have good offers as well. As such they were offering Rs.36K for Core i3 along with these offers for diwali

1) 3 years extended warranty for free
2) Accessories (mouse)
3) 1TB HDD at discounted rate at Rs.799
4) Exchange for old laptop as well
Old 27th October 2016, 11:38   #4799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am looking for a budget laptop for basic usage and have narrowed down my choices to the following machines...
If you have the patience and some time here are some tips which you might want to consider.

- Upgrade to 8gb ram and it will double in speed
- Upgrade to an SSD and you will get 4x times the speed in bootup / running apps etc..

So the trade off would be for a few more thousands you might want to do basic stuff the slow way or the fast way.

Do not look for an off the shelf laptop with the following configurations, they would be too expensive. Instead pickup a basic one and do the upgrade yourself it will be much cheaper.

If I were you I would have picked this Dell Inspiron Or something similar and swap in an SSD with the difference.

If you dont like Linux ? You can always switch to Windows. (but give linux a try it has apps for everything basic )

You can get a legal copy of Windows 10 home edition for as low as 35 USD in case you want to switch.
Old 27th October 2016, 11:58   #4800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
You can get a legal copy of Windows 10 home edition for as low as 35 USD in case you want to switch.
Not interested in a new laptop, but that seems interesting - hope its a genuine source
Link please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks