Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2016, 15:42   #4801
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Not interested in a new laptop, but that seems interesting - hope its a genuine source
Link please
Well I picked it up from Here..., looks like the prices have slightly increased.

The key is mailed to you, after that download the Windows 10 ISO from the Official Microsoft Download site MS Windows ISO Download Page

I did not have any issues, I verified the copy and MS said verified as valid license copy of Windows.
Have been using it for almost a year now and even get regular updates without any issues.

Worked for me, however I am not guaranteeing anything here, use at your own risk
Old 27th October 2016, 16:52   #4802
BHPian

My 3 year old HP laptop is in very bad shape. Both the hinges connecting the laptop's base to the display has broken off.

I have purchased another laptop for my everyday use. Wondering what can be done with the broken laptop. Is there any shop/service that accepts such laptops? Can any part the re-used with the new laptop?

Awaiting your suggestions.

PS: Pic attached of the broken laptop
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20161026_2338091.jpg
Old 27th October 2016, 17:07   #4803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Check out the Lenovo G-40-80. Retails for around 30k on Amazon. Good specs, matches and surpasses your requirements in certain areas, e.g. hard drive is 1TB. Have bought this a month back, and its performing well. Fairly light as well, so easy to carry around.
I did see it and it looked like a very good deal. But reviews on amazon were were really bad with most of them calling it fake and having battery issues and what not. So you are happy with the machine? Also does it have a CD drive? How is the battery back up? And by any chance is the keyboard backlit?
Old 27th October 2016, 17:30   #4804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
My 3 year old HP laptop is in very bad shape. Both the hinges connecting the laptop's base to the display has broken off.

I have purchased another laptop for my everyday use. Wondering what can be done with the broken laptop. Is there any shop/service that accepts such laptops? Can any part the re-used with the new laptop?
You could ask at your nearest laptop repair store (HP service will be prohibitive) and see if they have a working pair of hinges from a scrapped laptop that they can install onto yours.
Old 27th October 2016, 17:33   #4805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I did see it and it looked like a very good deal. But reviews on amazon were were really bad with most of them calling it fake and having battery issues and what not. So you are happy with the machine? Also does it have a CD drive? How is the battery back up? And by any chance is the keyboard backlit?
Im happy with it, in fact my wife who is currently abroad is using it and is also happy with it. It does have a CD drive. Battery is pretty good, about 5 hours or so with constant usage. Keyboard is not backlit as far as I can recall.
Old 27th October 2016, 17:39   #4806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Awaiting your suggestions.

PS: Pic attached of the broken laptop
Attachment 1571328
replacement hinges are available online - if the ones for your specific model are available, you could probably use ifixit or youtube guides to replace them yourself

but make sure its the hinges that are broken, and not the lid or something else. Most repair shops charge outrageous sums.

I recall seeing someone being billed 3-4k for a keyboard replacement at a service centre - I had recently bought one from ebay for 700 and changed it myself

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th October 2016 at 17:41.
Old 28th October 2016, 14:24   #4807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You could ask at your nearest laptop repair store (HP service will be prohibitive) and see if they have a working pair of hinges from a scrapped laptop that they can install onto yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
replacement hinges are available online - if the ones for your specific model are available, you could probably use ifixit or Youtube guides to replace them yourself

but make sure its the hinges that are broken, and not the lid or something else. Most repair shops charge outrageous sums.

I recall seeing someone being billed 3-4k for a keyboard replacement at a service centre - I had recently bought one from ebay for 700 and changed it myself
Yes, I did try this approach before. In fact even the display had broken that time. The local service center guy charged 6500 bucks for replacing the hinges, display and he used metal paste to hold them in place.
It did work well for a couple of months, after which it again got broken. Getting it fixed at HP service will definitely resolve the issue, but they have quoted 21k. Spending 21k for a laptop which is more than 3 year old is an overkill in my opinion.
Old 28th October 2016, 14:59   #4808
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I did try this approach before. In fact even the display had broken that time. The local service center guy charged 6500 bucks for replacing the hinges, display and he used metal paste to hold them in place.
It did work well for a couple of months, after which it again got broken. Getting it fixed at HP service will definitely resolve the issue, but they have quoted 21k. Spending 21k for a laptop which is more than 3 year old is an overkill in my opinion.
When you are in B'lore, Why NOT visit SP Road? There are dime a dozen lap repair shops, who would do this in no time. I remember once, they replaced a key cap of my HP from a discarded laptop. Usually, they have hoards of discarded laptops in their godown.

You can try Universal, besides Ankith Infotech.
Old 1st November 2016, 13:13   #4809
BHPian

Hey Guys, I was planning to buy a lappy and almost zeroed in on this(Out of Stock now) https://www.flipkart.com/dell-inspir...MEMGG87TZKVYGB. But before actually buying this, just wanted to check if i can buy a lower speced Dell laptop and upgrade it myself (or from a store). I was thinking of 16GB RAM with 128 (or more) SSD along with the 1TB HDD. Would this make sense? Will it work out cheaper?
Old 1st November 2016, 13:42   #4810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Hey Guys, I was planning to buy a lappy and almost zeroed in on this(Out of Stock now)
It shows me as being in stock. You can upgrade most laptops to SSD and additional RAM. Just ensure the mother board specification says that the board can handle the extra memory. My wife's Asus laptop, for instance, has memory soldered on and it cannot be swapped out. Such a limitation is true for the more basic or lower end models, but just wanted you to know so you can check specifications before purchasing.
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:30   #4811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Hey Guys, I was planning to buy a lappy and almost zeroed in on this(Out of Stock now) https://www.flipkart.com/dell-inspir...MEMGG87TZKVYGB. But before actually buying this, just wanted to check if i can buy a lower speced Dell laptop and upgrade it myself (or from a store). I was thinking of 16GB RAM with 128 (or more) SSD along with the 1TB HDD. Would this make sense? Will it work out cheaper?
Yes I guess most mid to high end laptops are easily upgradable. I recently got my keypad changed and RAM updated to 12 GB for my old Thinkpad T530 without any problem.
Old 8th November 2016, 12:53   #4812
BHPian

I have a query with regards to warranty. Will Dell/HP etc provide warranty when laptops are purchased form e-commerce sites like Amazon and Flipkart?

Or is it better to buy from Dell site/store?

Members with experience with service issues please share details
Old 8th November 2016, 15:37   #4813
Senior - BHPian

If you buy from the Dell website you might have a wider range of choices, as well as Dell provided discounts on antivirus software, bluetooth keyboards etc. You might get the same deal from across several vendors at Flipkart or Amazon, who knows?

Back when I last bought a laptop from dell 3..4 years ago, they also let me customize my order to add more RAM etc.
Old 8th November 2016, 20:26   #4814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
I have a query with regards to warranty. Will Dell/HP etc provide warranty when laptops are purchased form e-commerce sites like Amazon and Flipkart?

Or is it better to buy from Dell site/store?

Members with experience with service issues please share details
I purchased my Dell laptop from Flipkart near Diwali in 2014. Got an excellent deal in addition to the Dell Diwali offer which was also valid. There have been no warranty issues whatsoever and I have used the accidental warranty a couple of times when the laptop got damaged due to my negligence. The only thing to take care of is the seller you buy from on these websites. WS Retail on Flipkart and Cloudtail on Amazon are the safest bets and I wouldnt be comfortable buying a laptop from any other seller.

HP I think had issued a notice stating warranty not being valid for devices purchased from random sellers. Do a Google search about it. Also, I wouldn't recommend a HP laptop unless you are buying the really expensive ones. The Pavillion series faces gazillion of issues. Many of my friends and family have been troubled by the same.
Old 10th November 2016, 11:40   #4815
rbp
BHPian

I have owned a Dell XPS 1645 for the past 6+ years. Great build and quality, not a single issue till date, but it has started to show its age, video/image editing etc, take a long time. It has the First gen i7 processor.
I am interested in buying a laptop which will let my kids play occasional games and let me edit videos/images, this will be purchased in US and brought to India later, I have zeroed in on MSI GT73VR / Asus 752 / Latest Alienware 17 inch models. The MSI is an absolute beast with NVMe [Fastest performance] 128 GB SSD. The other two come with PCIe SSD. The Alienware and MSI come with 120 HZ panels, where as the Asus comes with 75HZ. Asus I kinda have been exposed to their support through my Wifi Router and wouldnt give them any plus points.

I have my eyes set on the MSI but I am not familiar with their support.

Alienware, though not the most VFM, I have been exposed to dell support and appreciated their professionalism.
Any thoughts ?

Most Viewed