Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 12:42   #4951
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Hi, I have a 10 yr old laptop which I am not using anymore. It does not have any HDMI or mini-HDMI or mini display port. Only available ports are VGA out and USB. Is there any way I can connect this laptop to my TV? Something like USB to HDMI adaptor to transfer both audio & video signals together. VGA out will be sending only the display, so it's ruled out. Please suggest if there is any good USB to HDMI adapter OR USB -> mini HDMI -> HDMI adapter.
Old 31st July 2017, 17:57   #4952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Hi, I have a 10 yr old laptop which I am not using anymore. It does not have any HDMI or mini-HDMI or mini display port. Only available ports are VGA out and USB. Is there any way I can connect this laptop to my TV? Something like USB to HDMI adaptor to transfer both audio & video signals together. VGA out will be sending only the display, so it's ruled out. Please suggest if there is any good USB to HDMI adapter OR USB -> mini HDMI -> HDMI adapter.
You have to connect sound and video separately to a TV. Alternatively here are some cables available

http://www.amazon.in/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw...l_154rb5bjxv_e
Old 5th August 2017, 21:49   #4953
Senior - BHPian

Hello Gurus,
I think I've almost finalized my decision to buy a laptop for grad school. Thanks dark.knight for encouraging me to buy a ThinkPad. Lenovo is currently running a back to school sale in US and I can ship a laptop to my relatives and collect it later this month.

I saw this TP E570 for $863:
Quote:
Intel Core i7-7500U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
Windows 10 Home 64
15.6 FHD (1920x1080) IPS Non-Touch
15.6" FHD(1920x1080) IPS LED Blacklight AntiGlare Black
8GB DDR4-2133 SODIMM
NV Geforce GTX950M 2GB
500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, 2.5", SATA3
256GB Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVMe OPAL2
DVD Recordable
4 Cell Li-Cyllinder Battery 41WH
90W AC Adapter (2pin) - US
Intel Dual Band Wireless AC(2x2) 8265, Bluetooth Version 4.1
And this TP T470P for $1075:

Quote:
Intel Core i5-7300HQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.50GHz)
Windows 10 Home 64
14" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, non-touch
8GB DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM
Intel HD Graphics 630
720p HD Camera
Keyboard Backlit - English
Fingerprint Reader
Hardware dTPM2.0 Enabled
256 GB Solid State Drive OPAL2.0 PCIe-NVMe
ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh) Cylindrical Rear
90W AC Adapter (2pin) - US
Intel Dual Band Wireless AC(2x2) 8265, Bluetooth Version 4.1
Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable- Can anyone explain?
From what I've read, all E series are not military grade and also T470P's intel HD 630 is a very capable GPU for most tasks- I won't be doing heavy gaming or video editing.

So ~$200 (Student discount and taxes will widen the difference) worth it? I'm mostly going to make my decision on i5-7300HQ vs i7-7500U (Quad vs Dual Core) and HD 630 vs NVIDIA Geforce GTX950M 2GB?

I've heard that using an discrete graphic card reduces overall battery life on reddit, reviews and my local computer repair shop. Is it true?

I've had multiple problems with the current (3 year old) G500 until I switched off my AMD GPU in the BIOS.

Thanks in Advance

Note: I'm open to other brands too, but I think trackpoint and typing comfort on a thinkpad make them worth it for my intended use.
Old 5th August 2017, 23:17   #4954
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hello Gurus,
I think I've almost finalized my decision to buy a laptop for grad school.
Do mention what will be your use case? If it will be simple text or excel work projects, then by all means get a simple dual core laptop with a good battery life and nice keyboard. The thinkpad is great for that.

But if your work will involve some creative stuff like models 3d rendering/video or image editing, do go for a laptop with quad core CPU and a discrete graphics.
If you don't have such a heavy use, don't bother with these since they add weight and lower the battery life
Old 6th August 2017, 09:27   #4955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Do mention what will be your use case?
I had mentioned them in the previous post. I didn't quote that post.

A quad-core processor would help in running some mathematical tools faster.
I don't really need to do graphic intensive tasks, so I think a decent to good integrated GPU will be fine.
Old 6th August 2017, 23:16   #4956
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I had mentioned them in the previous post. I didn't quote that post.

A quad-core processor would help in running some mathematical tools faster.
I don't really need to do graphic intensive tasks, so I think a decent to good integrated GPU will be fine.
Then definitely look at a quad core cpu, you can easily feel the difference in cpu intensive tasks. If you don't need the discrete GPU, MSi makes some models that have quad core CPUs but only with integrated graphics, those will make most sense for you.
Old 9th August 2017, 22:25   #4957
Senior - BHPian

I have an issue with my 6 month old Acer laptop.

(https://www.flipkart.com/acer-core-i...MEPGKFCDZYH23R)

I have noticed few white dots appearing on the screen upon adjusting the screen lid. The white dots are not very dense but scattered in low density but noticeable when the background is dark. Sometimes they don't appear as well and sometimes they show up even without moving the screen lid. I believe there is definitely some problem.

Any possible reasons/solutions?

Since the laptop is in warranty, how to contact Acer support? Do they offer onsite support? Since I am at work from Mon-Fri, can't attend the technician on weekdays. Do they offer support on Saturdays.

One more doubt I have if I log in a complaint with acer, what if the white dots don't appear at the time when the technician comes for inspection?

Also I noticed that my laptop' serial number is not being detected on Acer support site. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/support

Upon entering serial number from the serial number finder utility, it says the serial number is not correct.

Please advise!
Old 10th August 2017, 00:14   #4958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
.....Any possible reasons/solutions?

Since the laptop is in warranty, how to contact Acer support? Do they offer onsite support? Since I am at work from Mon-Fri, can't attend the technician on weekdays. Do they offer support on Saturdays.

One more doubt I have if I log in a complaint with acer, what if the white dots don't appear at the time when the technician comes for inspection?

Also I noticed that my laptop' serial number is not being detected on Acer support site. ...
Looks like there is a problem with the display and it may need a replacement. For onsite support you may call them and fix an appointment but for faster resolution I would suggest you to visit their nearest service center which must be open on Saturdays.

You can record a video of the white dots whenever they appear so that you can always show it to the technician in case the white dots do not appear in his presence.

The laptop's serial number should be detected on Acer support site, you may need to contact the seller or Acer support for this.
Old 10th August 2017, 02:27   #4959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
have you considered using a chromecast or an ezcast wifi dongle?
Old 14th August 2017, 18:02   #4960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs View Post
Looks like there is a problem with the display and it may need a replacement. For onsite support you may call them and fix an appointment but for faster resolution I would suggest you to visit their nearest service center which must be open on Saturdays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I have an issue with my 6 month old Acer laptop.

Please advise!
I logged in a complaint with acer helpline and a technician visited today. He removed the panel and tightened the connector after which the issue resolved.
The panel in itself is okay. I'm surprised how can the connector be loose in a new laptop!
Old 25th August 2017, 01:27   #4961
BHPian

So my friend is coming down from the Murica and I want to do the trusted buy a laptop in the US and ask him to bring it down thing. I had almost decided on the Lenovo Yoga 720 but after a bit of reading, a lot of reviews stated that the 4K Display goes bad after a while. This lead me to read further into the warranty side of things.

Apart from Apple which has a straight secure warranty, does any other company provide complete International Warranty ? Checked HP and they said that the warranty is applicable only if the same model is available in the country which in most cases isnt. So is it a bit of a gamble ? Dont wish to plonk in 65k and realise only to have a headache on hand.
Old 25th August 2017, 16:29   #4962
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not really downloaded much on my laptop, but still, I saw only 30 GB of free space (was 200 GB when I swapped the SSD in). Used TreeSize and saw that:

1. Windows Restore was using up 150 gigs !

2. The Windows Temp folder was over 30 GB in size .

Set a limit of 15 GB on windows restore & cleaned up the temp folder. Back in business.
Old 25th August 2017, 18:00   #4963
Senior - BHPian

So my laptop's charging port went bad 7 months ago, I got it changed at a whopping price of 1000rs at a laptop repair shop, this is despite me disassembling the whole laptop and telling them exactly what they needed to do.

Now its gone bad again and I refuse to get ripped off again. So I opened the laptop, soldered couple of wires and a connector outside the laptop.

I had a few chargers from different manufacturers, converted them all to the same pin. All of them work like a charm! The dell charger was graciously donated by BHPian TheTeacher!

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20170821_094140.jpg
Old 27th August 2017, 21:52   #4964
BHPian

Folks owning Lenovo laptops, how reliable are they and hows is the Customer / Warranty Support in general ? Thinking of buying a Yoga 720 15" from US.
Old 28th August 2017, 08:26   #4965
BANNED

The HD on mine failed after two years. Was replaced promptly under warranty. After another year and a half the battery failed, I went and bought a new unit, with a SSD to boot. From Lenovo again. The point is that the dealer / distributor is a friend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks