Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2018, 15:29   #5026
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
You can also consider Dell Latitude 7480 series. It is sturdy and you can configure as per your requirements. It has carbon fiber body, 3 years Pro support, 3 years accidental damage service and costs around Rs.85K.
For 84K what processor would I get, how much RAM & how much size SSD?

And how do I buy this? I couldn't find any place on their website to buy this direct.
Old 18th January 2018, 15:57   #5027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
You can also consider Dell Latitude 7480 series. It is sturdy and you can configure as per your requirements. It has carbon fiber body, 3 years Pro support, 3 years accidental damage service and costs around Rs.85K.
Couple of weeks back, I picked up a Dell Inspiron 15 7500 with 8th Gen i5, 8 GB RAM, 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD & NVDIA Graphics with dedicated 4GB for 75K. I was told that a similar spec Latitude will be over a lakh. Same config with i7 was 85K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

And how do I buy this? I couldn't find any place on their website to buy this direct.
Latitude is not available for retail customers. You will have to buy it as a business.
Old 18th January 2018, 16:17   #5028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

Latitude is not available for retail customers. You will have to buy it as a business.
Are you sure about that? I see a lot of commercial outlets selling dell business laptops
Old 18th January 2018, 16:31   #5029
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

That's what I want to do - but how do I do it?
Old 18th January 2018, 16:49   #5030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

You will get i5-6300 (6th gen with Intel HD graphics 520), 14" screen, 512GB SSD, Backlit keyboard, display port over USB C. They keep refreshing the configuration every few months.

You can get in touch with Dell directly and ask for Latitude laptops (business section has Latitude laptops though prices are not mentioned). You can also try searching at Lamington road.

PS: You can bargain with Dell after giving them street price.

Last edited by akshay81 : 18th January 2018 at 16:52.
Old 18th January 2018, 16:54   #5031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Are you sure about that? I see a lot of commercial outlets selling dell business laptops
I checked directly with Dell and they wouldn't sell it to me. Third party sellers might be procuring them under some pseudo business and selling.
Old 6th February 2018, 15:29   #5032
Senior - BHPian

Dell Inspiron 5570 / i7 8th gen / 16GB ram / 2TB / 256GB SSD for about, 82k sounds ok?
Old 9th March 2018, 01:17   #5033
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking for an effective solution, which may be a keyboard or a new laptop.
Here's the issue. I write, and tend to type very quickly to put as much of the thought down in as close to real time as possible. So, not very accurate typing, but I fix that once I have gotten it all down.
My old laptop was an Asus, but one day it conked off just before I was going to press Ctrl S on 7 pages. I switched to a dell inspiron from work, but I find that its keys are not that good. I miss out on so many letters that spellcheck is not able to suggest the correct one. I am scared of going back to the Asus since I don’t really have the habit of saving work every minute
So what I am looking for is laptop which has the most sensitive keys.
Or a keyboard which I can connect to my old AIO. I am ok with either option.
I am not looking at something at the top spec range for the laptop.
The keyboard is primary, and the capability to easily have a couple of PDFs, 5-10 tabs in Chrome, and Word running concurrently and smoothly.
Old 9th March 2018, 12:44   #5034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I am looking for an effective solution, which may be a keyboard or a new laptop.
Here's the issue. I write, and tend to type very quickly to put as much of the thought down in as close to real time as possible. So, not very accurate typing, but I fix that once I have gotten it all down.
So what I am looking for is laptop which has the most sensitive keys.
Or a keyboard which I can connect to my old AIO. I am ok with either option.
I am not looking at something at the top spec range for the laptop.
The keyboard is primary, and the capability to easily have a couple of PDFs, 5-10 tabs in Chrome, and Word running concurrently and smoothly.
Some of the best keyboards are in the Thinkpad series.

In your case you should try an external keyboard. Not only are many of the external keyboards better in terms of feel and speed, but you also save the laptop keyboard from constant bounding. One of the best keyboards that I have come across are the "TVS GOLD" keyboards. I have been using them on my desktop, and in the last twenty years gone through only four or five of them. The current one (I am typing on it) is seven years old and still going strong.

https://www.amazon.in/TVS-Bharat-Gol.../dp/B00A17MNHU
https://www.tvs-e.in/product-detail-...tn_bt&pro=tb_7
https://www.theitdepot.com/details-T...rd_P15558.html

One thing that I would caution you against is buying "Cheaper keyboards". For heavy duty use they just do not work out, and you are left with a Vague, Mushy feeling keyboard.
Old 9th March 2018, 15:27   #5035
BANNED

My experience over the years suggest that an i5 is the 'best' choice. I owned an i7 Asus once but did not find it much better. Graphics aficionados may not agree.
Old 10th March 2018, 09:43   #5036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My experience over the years suggest that an i5 is the 'best' choice. I owned an i7 Asus once but did not find it much better. Graphics aficionados may not agree.

Agree if you are talking about laptop i5 vis-a-vis i7. But laptop i7 even HQ versions are a joke compared with desktop i7 (or even i5) for serious CPU work. For such work, laptops simply do not cut it. I would say laptop i7 are as fast as 2009-11 desktop i7. But then why buy even an i5 laptop for everyday work. Even i3 may work.

Last edited by vasudeva : 10th March 2018 at 09:49.
Old 10th March 2018, 15:50   #5037
mxx
BHPian

How is the build quality and after sales of Acer laptops? I am considering their nitro 5 series for purchase.
Old 10th March 2018, 17:00   #5038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
How is the build quality and after sales of Acer laptops? I am considering their nitro 5 series for purchase.

At least my 10 year old vendor advises against Acer but in comparison. Upto you and your budget.
Old 10th March 2018, 18:16   #5039
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
If it helps, have a 10yr old acer laptop that has held up well without any cracks or any hardware problem thus far. Would recommend acer 10/10
Old 12th March 2018, 11:48   #5040
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
At least my 10 year old vendor advises against Acer but in comparison. Upto you and your budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
If it helps, have a 10yr old acer laptop that has held up well without any cracks or any hardware problem thus far. Would recommend acer 10/10

Thanks guys.

@vasudeva: was the vendor referring to build quality or after sales?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks