Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2020, 12:45   #5431
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
My 7 year old Dell Inspirion 5537 15R's screen started flickering. Gave the same to Dell authorized service center on Saturday. They asked me to check with the Dell support if the LCD screen (13k+) or cable (4k+) is available with them. They will check if the screen needs replacement or the cable post that. Called support today and they will revert by end of day today. The mail says the part, if available, will be refurbished one with warranty of only 90 days. The service center also mentioned, if the spares are not available with Dell, they can find one in the market. Not sure of those parts also. I also have to pay 999 as service charges.

Is it worth going for this repair with older parts or should I dump this laptop and go for new one? Paid 50k+ in 2013 for the laptop and already the laptop is gone with no spare parts available.
Spending more than a thousand rupees, let alone 13K on a 7 years old laptop is not worth it. You will get a new laptop with better specifications than the old laptop for 20K

https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-81MT004...mputers&sr=1-7

https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Ideapad...puters&sr=1-24

Last edited by Aroy : 10th February 2020 at 12:48.
Old 11th February 2020, 20:04   #5432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
My 7 year old Dell Inspirion 5537 15R's screen started flickering. Gave the same to Dell authorized service center on Saturday. They asked me to check with the Dell support if the LCD screen (13k+) or cable (4k+) is available with them. They will check if the screen needs replacement or the cable post that. Called support today and they will revert by end of day today. The mail says the part, if available, will be refurbished one with warranty of only 90 days. The service center also mentioned, if the spares are not available with Dell, they can find one in the market. Not sure of those parts also. I also have to pay 999 as service charges.

Is it worth going for this repair with older parts or should I dump this laptop and go for new one? Paid 50k+ in 2013 for the laptop and already the laptop is gone with no spare parts available.

Two years back I had the failed 15.6" screen of my Samsung laptop (of 2012 vintage) replaced with a NEW one through a third party service provider for Rs. 3200/-. Samsung had asked for 8k+ for the same! It turned out that the display OEM was AU Optronics (I was surprised to learn that Samsung didn't make their own displays), -- there are only a handful of OEMs for displays, and AU Optronics supplies to many big names. The new one I got was also made by them, and although it came with only a 90-day warranty (which is apparently the industry norm for even new spares), it's running just fine for two years now.

It's outragous that Dell wants 13k+ for a refurbished part! You may do well to seek help from a reputable third party service provider, and see if the cost involved (very likely to be much less than what Dell asks for) is something you can justify. For me, it was money well spent. The service person assured me that my Samsung was much better built compared to what is available today, and so it proved, with no other parts failing since. The laptop still serves my purpose just fine.

I believe for PCs and laptops there is no point going back to the big name companies for repair after warranty. Their service exist only to rip one off, with no value addition. Most of the parts inside are third party OEM supplied. The big brands are no better than just assemblers. You've paid them big bucks once for the privilege of having a (hopefully) well-designed product with the system bugs already ironed out. Don't keep on paying them again and again for same OEM parts you could source through third party service providers for a fraction of the cost!

Of course, ultimately it's your own call, keeping in mind your requirements. I'd be surprised if a standard sized laptop display is not available new in the market.
Old 3rd March 2020, 17:25   #5433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
It's outragous that Dell wants 13k+ for a refurbished part! You may do well to seek help from a reputable third party service provider, and see if the cost involved (very likely to be much less than what Dell asks for) is something you can justify.
+100 to this. I went to the authorized service center and asked for my laptop to be returned. After returning the laptop, the guy told me that he can get it done at less than half the cost. He did not mention this when I gave the laptop though. This Saturday I will check with him again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Spending more than a thousand rupees, let alone 13K on a 7 years old laptop is not worth it. You will get a new laptop with better specifications than the old laptop for 20K
Yes I got the laptop back from the authorized service center. As meerkat said I will get the laptop repaired from the service provider and not Dell. Not sure though how many days the old laptop will survive. Hence will buy a new laptop.

I use HP Elitebook 840 G5 provided by my company for my office work and I would like to buy something equivalent. Unfortunately I will not be able to pay 90k+, which it costs, for personal use. Any recommendations with similar/better configuration - Intel Core i5 @2.60 Ghz, 16 GB RAM and 250 GB harddisk space? Budget can be in the 50k +/- range. Typical usage would be Visual Studio 2015/2017, MS Office, browsing / watching videos etc.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 3rd March 2020 at 17:31.
Old 3rd March 2020, 17:35   #5434
BANNED

Quote:
You may do well to seek help from a reputable third party service provider

Who are the reputed 3rd party service providers in the laptop market?
Old 3rd March 2020, 17:50   #5435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Who are the reputed 3rd party service providers in the laptop market?
I went to this service center which was recommended by Dell Showroom. They follow the process specified by Dell and the company sends the email for that with ticket number, quotation etc.. BUT the service center will also repair laptops if one insists that they want it done independently without going through Dell process. This I came to know when I wanted my laptop back as the cost of repair via Dell was high.
Old 10th March 2020, 15:59   #5436
BHPian

Quote:
Don't keep on paying them again and again for same OEM parts you could source through third party service providers for a fraction of the cost!
Update : Got my laptop cable replaced today - no problem with the screen at all. The same service center got it done at 1500 bucks - 1200 (spare) + 300 (Service). The same thing if I had given to Dell would have cost me 4500+.
Old 19th March 2020, 16:28   #5437
BHPian

Which is the best Android for a touch screen laptop? Dual boot or VM based? I have tried a few, stopped and now again considering installing one. Basic purpose would be to consume media. Somehow Android apps
seem to be easier to use than their Windows equivalents.
Old 19th March 2020, 16:59   #5438
BHPian

I have Lenovo 2 in 1 laptop which can become a tablet (bought from US). Its screen isn't working since few months and I have tried everything I can from going to various service centers to getting a cable from US but nothing is able to fix the screen. Due to this, I am forced to use the laptop (whenever needed) by connecting it to TV using HDMI as the display on TV works fine. But this is not really convenient.
Any way to salvage the things in laptop and sell as I don't expect anyone to buy this with non working screen or anything else I can do?
Old 22nd March 2020, 16:33   #5439
BHPian

Which is any trustworthy shop in Bangalore where I can upgrade the RAM and hard disk of my Lenovo laptop?
Old 22nd March 2020, 17:41   #5440
BHPian

I am looking at hp laptop available in Flipkart for my daughter who will be starting college this year. The link is https://www.flipkart.com/hp-14s-ryze..._AMP&srno=b_23. Let me know if anybody has used it and also how is the feedback.
Old 22nd March 2020, 21:37   #5441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Which is any trustworthy shop in Bangalore where I can upgrade the RAM and hard disk of my Lenovo laptop?
I would NOT know, where in B'lore you are. Be that as it may, you can do this on your own. Its NOT a big deal to change RAM or HDD. You can see YouTube videos, for your particular model.

If that's NOT possible, I suggest you to do a google search for 'Laptop Technician' and feed your details on sites like 'JustDial', who in turn connect you to technicians in your area. Pick one among those who call you, and they will do this task at the comfort of your home.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 22:54   #5442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Yesterday went to SP road to get a laptop for my nephew (will be wri ting about it in another message) and decided to get RAM for my MVP, 2X8GB DDR3 ram for 5k.
Changed the ram within ten mins of reaching home, thanks to instructions given by Apple itself. It's working like a charm.
I'm sure it's possible with lenovo too. You may have to check for guide though.

Need suggestion

Planning to buy a gaming laptop for my nephew. He had finalized HP Omen with 16gb ram, 1650 graphics card, 512 mb ssd + 1TB hard disk, 140 Hz display.
The cost of the laptop at SP road seems to be too good at 83k (MRP 1.3L and online best price is 1.1L).
Want to know how a small shop in SP road can sell it close to half the price. It comes with international warranty though.

But, didn't buy it because the shop keeper said he could not get the consignment due to corona.
He offered Asus rog with similar configuration for little less at 80k.

Want to know is it worth buying from him. How to make sure it's not refurbished or...

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd March 2020 at 07:27. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 22nd March 2020, 23:53   #5443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Planning to buy a gaming laptop for my nephew. He had finalized HP Omen with 16gb ram, 1650 graphics card, 512 mb ssd + 1TB hard disk, 140 Hz display.
GTX 1650 will never be able to make full use of the 144Hz panel, unless your nephew plan on playing older titles at low settings. A simple search in Amazon popped up an ASUS TUF laptop with RTX 2060 and Ryzen 7.
Here's the link:https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07VRLX5Y9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07VRLX5Y9&pd_r d_w=D0kSz&pf_rd_p=1801b34c-8af9-42b5-8961-11f124edc99b&pd_rd_wg=gidw5&pf_rd_r=VARKSNEXY15FN9 4P93B4&pd_rd_r=56359c70-0a19-4428-84b2-6070f00917f6&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFLNUJC RTI3RFZEVEsmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2NjI5OTIzMkJLSEtHQl c5NEtVJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NjY0MDUyWjMxMk1CNzdU VVdNJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1 JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Since you didn't mention anything about the CPU, I'm going to assume it is an 8th or 9th gen i7-H series one. The Ryzen is a bit slower compared to them. But when it comes to gaming, GPU will become the bottleneck long before the CPU. The difference between GTX1650 and RTX2060 is like day and night. You'll also be missing out on build and aesthetics as ROG is a segment above TUF series. But I would any day choose hardware muscle over aesthetics. Amazon listing mentioned a sata expansion slot, so you should be able to upgrade the storage. If you're adamant about aesthetics, I would suggest you take a look at another device with at least a 1660 Ti on board.

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 22nd March 2020 at 23:58.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 15:13   #5444
BHPian

Hello bhpians

I am in lookout for a basic laptop for office work (including remote VDI access) and my budget is around 40k. I have had no personal laptop in the last 5 years but with the current situation, i may need one going forward. With zero knowledge on this subject, i did some research and jotted down the specifications that i think i may need: 14 or 15 inch screen (doesn't matter much), i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB Hard disc, Windows 10, pre-loaded MS Office app, and good battery life. I may have to run data visualisation software like Tableau and thus i need 8GB RAM (Not sure if 4GB would be enough).

Need 2 or 3 suggestions (no affinity towards any brand) based on personal experience. So far my limited research is pointing towards Asus Vivobook. Specific model numbers will be helpful.
Old 15th April 2020, 15:23   #5445
BANNED

I have a Dell Inspiron 3570 Laptop. I need to purchase a spare adapter for it. Dell's website doesn't show my current adapter in it's accessories page. My current adapter is 45W. The Dell page https://www.dell.com/en-in/work/shop...efinements=805 only shows one 65W adapter - My laptop model doesn't seem to be in it's compatibility tab. CompuIndia shows only one 30W charger. Again, my laptop model doesn't figure there.

Where is the best place I can find a charger for my laptop & get it shipped? New/Used anything is OK - I just need it shipped as soon as courier delivery starts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks