Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2020, 19:45   #5506
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
What is your opinion about this selection?

https://www.lenovo.com/sg/en/laptops...0/p/81UE002HSB
In your case, I would definitely recommend waiting for the equivalent Ryzen 7 laptops to become available to you if you can. Just look at the performance difference between the CPU in the laptop you have shortlisted vs its Ryzen competition in the screenshot below. Double the core count. That will make a huge difference to the multitasking ability of the laptop.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-laptop1.jpg

Source

Edit: Just found an official announcement from Lenovo on them releasing the ThinkPad series laptops with Ryzen 4000-series CPUs. Here's the announcement: https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/pr...vailable-soon/

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 7th May 2020 at 19:52.
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 21:24   #5507
BHPian

Hi All,

I am in the lookout for a top end, sleek laptop. On the top of my list is Dell XPS dell xps 9300. Sadly its not launched yet India. In India still 7000 series is available. Anyone has any suggestion for any other laptops that I can get instead of this?
Old 8th May 2020, 00:35   #5508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post
I am in the lookout for a top end, sleek laptop. On the top of my list is Dell XPS dell xps 9300. Sadly its not launched yet India. In India still 7000 series is available. Anyone has any suggestion for any other laptops that I can get instead of this?
Have you taken a look at the ASUS ZenBook Duo lineup yet? If not, please do check them out. I'm sure you'll be mighty impressed. They have options depending on your budget. Take a look at this one: https://www.asus.com/in/Laptops/ZenB...FL/Tech-Specs/

Btw, just as I've been telling the others recently on this thread, depending on your use-case and urgency of getting the laptop, you might want to consider waiting for the Ryzen 4000-series laptops to launch in India. CPU-wise they promise to be much better and more future-proof than their Intel counterparts.

Cheers
Old 8th May 2020, 06:53   #5509
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the reply Joxster.
I work in computer vision and need GPU support with huge ram also. Though I am planning to get a dedicated desktop GPU system later, this laptop need to be able to run some parts.
Old 8th May 2020, 07:47   #5510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Based on the results, I wouldn't touch an 9th/10th-gen Intel laptop with a barge-pole if I can get an AMD 4000 series laptop in a similar price range.
Its kinda enlightening video!

-Why aren't major laptop manufacturers coming out with AMD based laptops?

-Would there be ANY disadvantages running business applications on AMD based laptops?
Old 8th May 2020, 07:58   #5511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

-Would there be ANY disadvantages running business applications on AMD based laptops?
As I said earlier, the problem is AMD is not in control of their manufacturing. They get their products manufactured at TSMC.

Now if suddenly there is demand it's not like they can fulfil it instantly. TSMC has quite busy schedule as it caters to many big customers like Apple, Nvidia etc.
Old 8th May 2020, 10:54   #5512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Many reason like Intel's long term contracts , supply assurance and scaling up supply if demand goes up.

Secondly most laptop purchases are institutional and in corporate environment everyone wants to play safe, no one sticks his neck out and choose anything unconventional for bulk purchases.
Old 8th May 2020, 11:53   #5513
Senior - BHPian

Here's a nice article on why we still don't see many AMD products.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/why-own-m...nd-commentary/

It's tough to break into established ecosystems. AMD has some great products but still that is not enough.
Old 8th May 2020, 13:40   #5514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post
I work in computer vision and need GPU support with huge ram also. Though I am planning to get a dedicated desktop GPU system later, this laptop need to be able to run some parts.
I'm a little confused here. The Dell XPS 13 9300 does not have dedicated graphics. I played with the configuration here: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...13-9300-laptop

What is your minimum requirement of graphics in a laptop right now? The one you shortlisted has onboard graphics which is not even close to the lowest end dedicated GPU. 32GB of RAM is enough?

Quote:
You're not alone in feeling that way!

Quote:
Actually they pretty much all are. HP, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS, Microsoft, MSI & Huawei already have AMD-based laptops and will release new models with the Ryzen 4000 series CPUs. Whether they come to India or not is a completely different story.
Dell has an exclusive deal with Intel, and it will probably stay that way. Apple has been using Intel exclusively in their laptops all this time, but it looks like they're going to start using their ARM processors in their laptops moving forward. Gigabyte also has no plans of releasing laptops with AMD CPUs for the moment.

Quote:
None that have come up or anyone is aware of. One problem with most of the AMD Zen architecture-based CPUs has been memory latency, but that is reducing with every generation that AMD releases, and it seems to affect gaming much more than applications, as you can see from the benchmark testing done in this video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
It's tough to break into established ecosystems. AMD has some great products but still that is not enough.
I agree with your statement that it is tough, but respectfully disagree with your second statement. I think that is for time to tell. While Intel's marketing prowess and sheer brand presence in every market is huge, product reviews also matter, and almost all of them have the same conclusion. Word will also spread from people in the know-how (like me), recommending the better product to people that I reach (like the gentlemen asking questions on this thread).
In some markets, AMD desktop CPUs are currently outselling their Intel counterparts at a 9:1 ratio. That's massive progress from a little over 3 years ago, when Intel's desktop CPUs were outselling AMD CPUs at a 8:2 ratio in most markets. I know that the laptop market is a different ballgame, and is majorly comprised of corporate companies who want to play it safe. That's why I said time will tell. Let's wait and see what happens.

Apologies to anyone if I sound like an AMD fanboy. I assure you that I am not. I myself am currently running a high-end Intel gaming desktop. However, I will be changing over to an AMD build very shortly. Reason: What I am running is now outdated, and Intel is not competitive at the moment.
I will honestly be very happy when Intel catches up and possibly beats AMD. Competition is good and very much needed for us consumers!

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 8th May 2020 at 13:52.
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 18:30   #5515
BHPian

I have a dell laptop (precision 5510) which has two ram slots, both occupied by 8GB ram. Of late, while watching videos, the videos stutter and play. I diagnosed the problem as that of a ram malfunction(don't know much about hardware functioning though). I am panning to replace one of the ram sticks with a 16GB ram.

Need your help in determining:

1. Whether ram malfunction would in fact be the problem?
2. Whether one ram stick can be replaced with a higher capacity ram?
3. Whether one slot with 16GB ram and second slot with 8GB ram function correctly?
Old 8th May 2020, 19:18   #5516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
I have a dell laptop (precision 5510) which has two ram slots, both occupied by 8GB ram. Of late, while watching videos, the videos stutter and play. I diagnosed the problem as that of a ram malfunction(don't know much about hardware functioning though). I am panning to replace one of the ram sticks with a 16GB ram.
Firstly, can you clarify how you narrowed it down to faulty RAM?

1. Whether ram malfunction would in fact be the problem? --> It could be, but without a proper diagnosis, we wouldn't know. Will need to know how you diagnosed this.
2. Whether one ram stick can be replaced with a higher capacity ram? --> Yes, it definitely can be. A Google search tells me that the motherboard on the Precision 5510 should be able to handle 32GB of RAM in total. Please note that using two completely different sticks could have some minor issues due to the difference in timings (usually it doesn't), so if you notice things acting weird, then take out the other old 8GB RAM stick as well and test.
3. Whether one slot with 16GB ram and second slot with 8GB ram function --> As answered in point # 2. Yes, you can run RAM sticks of different capacities.

Cheers
Old 8th May 2020, 19:26   #5517
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, can you clarify how you narrowed it down to faulty RAM?

1. Whether ram malfunction would in fact be the problem? --> It could be, but without a proper diagnosis, we wouldn't know. Will need to know how you diagnosed this.
2. Whether one ram stick can be replaced with a higher capacity ram? --> Yes, it definitely can be. A Google search tells me that the motherboard on the Precision 5510 should be able to handle 32GB of RAM in total. Please note that using two completely different sticks could have some minor issues due to the difference in timings (usually it doesn't), so if you notice things acting weird, then take out the other old 8GB RAM stick as well and test.
3. Whether one slot with 16GB ram and second slot with 8GB ram function --> As answered in point # 2. Yes, you can run RAM sticks of different capacities.

Cheers
Thanks for the prompt response.

I was getting an error wherein the screen turned blue and the screen showing that the system has crashed and we are trying to recover it, etc. etc. also, while playing anything on the laptop, music, or videos, online or offline, there is stuttering in sound and video. I searched online, and concluded that it might be the ram which might be acting up.
Old 8th May 2020, 19:47   #5518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
I was getting an error wherein the screen turned blue and the screen showing that the system has crashed and we are trying to recover it, etc. etc. also, while playing anything on the laptop, music, or videos, online or offline, there is stuttering in sound and video. I searched online, and concluded that it might be the ram which might be acting up.
This could also be down to faulty drivers, a faulty motherboard or even a Windows issue, so without troubleshooting properly, we cannot make assumptions. If you would like to test your RAM, and find out if there is anything wrong, then please download Memtest86 from here: https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

You will need to install the program on to a USB drive, and run it at the boot of your laptop, not from Windows. The test takes a couple of hours to complete, but should tell you if your RAM has any issues.
Important to note that version 8 of Memtest86 only works with UEFI boot, otherwise you need to use version 4 which you can download from further down on the same page I provided.

Alternatively, if you want to try and test this through the hardware, then you can try removing one 8GB stick of RAM from the laptop, and see if the issues go away, then put that one back in and try without the other one.

Let us know the results of your testing.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 8th May 2020 at 19:49.
Old 9th May 2020, 01:23   #5519
BHPian

Quote:
Actually they pretty much all are. HP, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS, Microsoft, MSI & Huawei already have AMD-based laptops and will release new models with the Ryzen 4000 series CPUs. Whether they come to India or not is a completely different story.
I have been with a 2nd generation i7-2670 XPS laptop(16GB RAM) for 8+ year now. As such will be looking for a new laptop sometime this year. The laptop will be for professional use, where I might have to run standalone ERP packages. So, powerful processor + good amount of RAM will always help.

I could see some Dell laptops with Ryzen 5 & 7 processors. As this purchase will be in US, could you please suggest some places online, where I can look for Ryzen 4000 series laptops.
Old 9th May 2020, 04:27   #5520
BHPian

Quote:
I have been with a 2nd generation i7-2670 XPS laptop(16GB RAM) for 8+ year now. As such will be looking for a new laptop sometime this year. The laptop will be for professional use, where I might have to run standalone ERP packages. So, powerful processor + good amount of RAM will always help.
Oh man, it's going to be a huge upgrade for you! Just look at the comparison in the screenshot below. Will 16GB of RAM still be enough for you?

Quote:
I could see some Dell laptops with Ryzen 5 & 7 processors. As this purchase will be in US, could you please suggest some places online, where I can look for Ryzen 4000 series laptops.
The Dell laptops you see now are the 3000 series Ryzen mobile CPUs, which were really not that impressive. It's the 4000 series that you want to go for. I've included both in the comparison below, just so you know how much of a difference there is.

In terms of where you can get them online in the U.S: Amazon, Newegg & Bestbuy immediately come to mind. I looked on all of these sites, and found that the 4000 series laptops are only available on Bestbuy currently, and a lot of them have sold out already. The ones left are the more power efficient HS series CPUs. Take a look at them here.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-laptop2.jpg

Source

Do let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks