Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2020, 17:13   #5566
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Pratyush, Poloman, Sebring, Feluda and last but not the least Joxster - thank you my dear brothers-in-arms (Dire Straits anyone ) for your help!

I will visit the Apple Store as soon as it’s feasible to do so, take a hands on feel of the machines, find out the pricing as per the specifications and be back here with my questions and confusions.

Take care and stay safe!

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:02   #5567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post

He said that he wants the laptop to go the distance, hence my suggestion of i7 + 16GB. As a heavy Excel user myself, I can tell you that 8GB of RAM when working with multiple or large spreadsheets is not enough, and the RAM is soldered in a Macbook, so cannot be upgraded later. The i7 will keep the Macbook feeling snappy even further on in it's life.

You're suggesting only for the present, and I am suggesting for the present+future. Just to ensure that we don't confuse him further.

Cheers
Disagree here. The main advantage of Mac is that it will feel snappy even after 5 years and multiple OS updates. This is not the case in Windows. Many poor souls who upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 soon understood this. Their PCs started literally crawling. What ever you told hold true for Windows laptops from an OS perspective.

It is fact that day to day apps like Excel, Chrome etc can consume more resources on a PC than a normal person imagines. So if you are an user who opens 10 Chrome windows and multiple power points and excel files, the mac air can lag a bit. So either you have to keep a tab on the number of files open or go for a higher configuration like you suggested.

Last edited by poloman : 22nd May 2020 at 18:04.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:26   #5568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Disagree here. The main advantage of Mac is that it will feel snappy even after 5 years and multiple OS updates. This is not the case in Windows. Many poor souls who upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 soon understood this. Their PCs started literally crawling. What ever you told hold true for Windows laptops from an OS perspective.

It is fact that day to day apps like Excel, Chrome etc can consume more resources on a PC than a normal person imagines. So if you are an user who opens 10 Chrome windows and multiple power points and excel files, the mac air can lag a bit. So either you have to keep a tab on the number of files open or go for a higher configuration like you suggested.
Without wanting to get into a bigger debate here, I just wanted to reply and say that I agree with the advantage of Mac vs Windows - I'm very familiar with how Apple optimizes their OSes to utilize the underlying hardware in comparison to Windows, and there are no questions about which OS is more efficient.

Getting that out of the way, even the best optimized software will be hardware-limited at some point, especially when the software applications in question are made by Microsoft & Google, who are known for making some of the most resource-hungry applications - Excel & Chrome are perfect examples of this.

If a person is ready to balance/manage their open applications, files, tabs etc. a lot of the time, then going for the minimum acceptable specifications makes sense, but I don't get the feeling that's what he wanted (certainly not what I would want either), hence my suggestion to get better specifications that will last longer.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 20:31   #5569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I will visit the Apple Store as soon as it’s feasible to do so
I don't know if anyone mentioned it here but since you're finalizing on a MacBook Air, go only for the 2020 versions, even if there are discounts available on 2019 models. I'm saying this for two reasons:

1. Magic keyboard.
Apple's butterfly keyboard have been a known point of failure for a few years now. Apple even replaces broken keyboards free of cost, but only within 4 years of purchase. Since your use case primarily depends on the keyboard, DO NOT take that risk and get the one with the newer magic keyboard. It is conventionally designed and according to reviewers, much more comfortable compared to the butterfly ones.

2. Performance
2020 MacBook Air comes with 10th gen intel CPUs compared to the 8th gen ones of 2019 model. The performance boost is significant and you shouldn't consider a dual core over a quad core processor in 2020. Period.

Now based on what you mentioned my recommended set of specs would be

1. i5 processor
The base config is a dual core i3, which shouldn't even have been offered at this price point. The jump to i5 is a must. I don't think you'll ever need an i7 for your work flow. The performance difference in i7 version won't be as stark as the base to mid tier jump due to inherent thermal limitations of the small form factor. The i5 should perform admirably for the next 5-7 years.

2. 16 GB of RAM
I'm bumping up the RAM as it is soldered on and non replaceable. While 8 GB is sufficient for 2020, you will definitely need more breathing space for the years to come.

3. 256 GB SSD
This is the base storage of the i5 version in US and I think that's the storage you'll ever need.

This configuration retails for $1299 here in the US. Expect to pay around 25 - 30k INR over the base version in India.

P.S It's just funny that I bought my friend a Lenovo Flex 5, 2 in 1 for the exact same purpose (MS office applications) last year for close to INR 30k ($450, Amazon prime day sale). That one had a quad core Ryzen 5 3500 U with Vega 8 graphics, 8 gigs of RAM, 14 inch FHD touch screen, 256 GB NVMe and was rather thin and light at 1.6 kg. Apart from the rather dim screen (only on outdoor use), I found nothing wrong with it. I mentioned it purely because the upgrades over the Mac cost the same as this one. I can understand the premium for Apple products and the ease of use within the apple ecosystem, but boy is that price hard to justify for someone who is a value freak like me

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 22nd May 2020 at 20:36.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 21:21   #5570
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

I am looking out for a future proof laptop ( at least for 3 years ) within a budget of 40k. I can increase it to 50k but it would be a stretch. I have been looking online but there are multiple options. I am ok with AMD or intel but would like to get at least 8 gigs of RAM or maybe one with an expandable slot supporting till 32GB. Getting one with an SSD would be great as well.

The laptop would be mostly used for the following:-

1. Google sheets and slides/presentations
2. Mails
3. Video Conferencing
4. AutoCAD
5. Photoshop
6. Sketchup - Could be avoided as i have a workstation
7. Require a good battery backup

I know some of these applications hog a lot of memory and processing power. Please do advice if at all this is a good time to get a laptop at all. I can wait maximum of a month as i am out of job and am venturing out by opening my own architectural and Interior Designing Firm.

PS: Was using a Macbook Air provided by the office from the past three years so I am very much spoilt by the fluid experience and good battery life and specifically the keyboard.

Thanks

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd May 2020 at 12:55. Reason: minor typo
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:50   #5571
BANNED

AutoCAD or photoshop on 8 gigs with Windows 10 would mean you are starting off with a snail.

I suggest an SSD drive plus i5 running 16 GB RAM. Also decide the screen size. It is a personal option.

I paid a lockdown premium of 58k for this:-

HP 14s-CR2000TU 10th Gen i5-10210U 8 GB 1TB HDD +256GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 620 W10 MSO H & S 2019 Backlit KBD 14" FHD/NS

Ought to be available for 52-55k.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 23rd May 2020 at 11:09.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 12:10   #5572
BHPian

Hi All,

I currently have a 2011 Dell XPS L502X laptop for personal use.

Specifications - WIN7, 15 2410M 2.3Ghz, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD and NVIDIA GeForce GT540M.

The speakers are currently having crackling issues at low volume. I have tried re-installing the drivers. But, the issue still persists. So, currently using a pair of headphones to mitigate this issue.

Also, I have a feeling that the laptop is super slow while opening multiple tabs on Chrome and while connecting to Zoom.

Usage:

Browsing, minimum gaming and video calls

So, I need experts to chip in their views:

a) Its a 9 years old laptop - What are all the hardware components that can be replaced that could possibly solve the issues. Also, will a complete OS reinstall solve the issue
b) Online classes for son might start next month. So, I don't want to compromise on missing the classes.
c) HP is currently having some offers for students. DK0047tx seems to be a nice model for 77K
Old 25th May 2020, 13:38   #5573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hi All,

Specifications - WIN7, 15 2410M 2.3Ghz, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD and NVIDIA GeForce GT540M.

The speakers are currently having crackling issues at low volume. I have tried re-installing the drivers. But, the issue still persists. So, currently using a pair of headphones to mitigate this issue.

Also, I have a feeling that the laptop is super slow while opening multiple tabs on Chrome and while connecting to Zoom.

Usage:

Browsing, minimum gaming and video calls

So, I need experts to chip in their views:

a) Its a 9 years old laptop - What are all the hardware components that can be replaced that could possibly solve the issues. Also, will a complete OS reinstall solve the issue
b) Online classes for son might start next month. So, I don't want to compromise on missing the classes.
c) HP is currently having some offers for students. DK0047tx seems to be a nice model for 77K
Just start with your HDD. Swap in a 512 GB SSD (about 7k) and check if that is good enough.
Old 25th May 2020, 14:06   #5574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Won't suggest to waste money upgrading a 9 year old laptop. Many components may be EOL and can fail any moment. In case you are going ahead, check compatibility before buying SSD and all. It may not have a M.2 port.
Students particularly if they are to high school or college love portability so 13' or 14' would be ideal.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 22:24   #5575
BHPian

Quote:
I have 2012 Dell L502X and I upgraded the RAM from 8GB to 16GB and swapped the HDD to SSD. The difference is day and night. The change to SSD on Win 10 gives maximum value for the bucks! You would NOT even think of new laptop for another few years. Just do it. You shall thank me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Just start with your HDD. Swap in a 512 GB SSD (about 7k) and check if that is good enough.
+1. Indeed.

Quote:
check compatibility before buying SSD and all.
L502X can be upgraded to SSD.
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 22:39   #5576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Won't suggest to waste money upgrading a 9 year old laptop. Many components may be EOL and can fail any moment. In case you are going ahead, check compatibility before buying SSD and all. It may not have a M.2 port.
Students particularly if they are to high school or college love portability so 13' or 14' would be ideal.
There are SATA SSDs also (so that would be the same form factor as the 2.5inch HDDs in our laptops) and easily available. 250GB one hardly costs 3k. 500gb ones start around 5k.

I just swapped my old laptop's HDD with a SSD last friday. The laptop has completely changed! Its like its on steroids! I think the biggest limiting factor in our machines is the hard drive. It should be the first thing we should change. The performance boost is just unimaginable.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 15:06   #5577
BHPian

There is no debate that the limiting factor of many modern computers is the Hard Drive. As such, swapping out a mechanical drive for an SSD will give the system the most significant boost and allow other components such as Processor, Memory and Graphics to be fully utilized. An analogy would be about how increasing fuel intake and other engine mods will not yield noticeable results until airflow restrictions are removed.

Please upgrade the disk before proceeding with anything else.

There are a variety of SSDs. As it stands, some of the best of the lot for both value, performance and reliability are below: (for 1TB, and in increasing order of price at the time of writing):
  1. Crucial MX 500 (SATA)
  2. Crucial MX 500 (SATA m.2)
  3. Western Digital Blue (SATA)
  4. Western Digital Blue (SATA m.2)
  5. Samsung 860 EVO (SATA)
  6. Western Digital SN 750 (NVMe m.2) - I purchased this
  7. Samsung 970 Evo (NVMe m.2)
  8. Samsung 970 Pro (NVMe m.2)
Good luck
CaptainPrice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 17:47   #5578
BHPian

Is an anti-virus software really necessary, or is enabling the native Windows built-in anti-virus component sufficient (Windows Defender it's called, I believe?)?

I ask because I've seen anti-virus packages making the machine really slow, and Windows ends up aging very badly!

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 26th May 2020 at 18:28. Reason: typo bcoz = because
Old 26th May 2020, 21:57   #5579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Is an anti-virus software really necessary, or is enabling the native Windows built-in anti-virus component sufficient (Windows Defender it's called, I believe?)?

I ask because I've seen anti-virus packages making the machine really slow, and Windows ends up aging very badly!
I'd say get a proper anti-virus solution, probably something like McAfee Total Protection for maximum peace of mind. I dont think Windows defender is that good.

If your anti-virus is making your machine slow, culprit is probably the HDD again. You could try a SSD upgrade. From my personal experience, after I upgraded to a SSD I do not have any issues with anti-virus program anymore. It would really slow down things earlier but now I dont have any problems.
Old 26th May 2020, 23:26   #5580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post

Windows Defender is good enough. It has come a long way and offers the same level of protection. In fact I un-installed McAfee because it was causing performance issues with some apps.
As long as you keep applying the regular Windows patches you should be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Pratyush, Poloman, Sebring, Feluda and last but not the least Joxster - thank you my dear brothers-in-arms (Dire Straits anyone ) for your help!

I will visit the Apple Store as soon as it’s feasible to do so, take a hands on feel of the machines, find out the pricing as per the specifications and be back here with my questions and confusions.

Take care and stay safe!

Cheers
From one of your posts it appeared that you are big on word and especially Excel. If that is the case stay away from the Mac and stick to a Windows Machine. The Excel ver offered on Mac OS is a joke compared to the latest Windows Excel.

256GB of an SSD will get filled in no time. This is my opinion.
10 - 15 yrs ago a Mac vs Windows made a big difference. But today I dont think so.

That said I do have a Macbook Pro 2012 model upgraded with a 500gb SSD and 16gb ram. That was the only model that was open to upgrades.
Todays Macbooks are a ripoff.

I recently picked up this one
https://www.asus.com/in/Laptops/ASUS...aming-FX505DY/

Further upgraded the Ram and a 1TB hdd. Including all the upgrades it came to a net of 54k
i.e.
Ryzen 5 3550 / 500gb SSD / 16gb Ram / 1TB HDD / Radeon 560 graphics card.
Frankly dont feel like going back to the Mac.

It also doubles up as a gaming laptop. The Ryzen 5 does a good job here. I picked an Xbox one wireless controller, hook it to the TV and your AVR and you have a decent gaming system.

That said , My 2012 Mac book post the SSD upgrade with 16Gb ram can also run Windows then the need arises. I just run it via Oracle Virtual box. Run windows as a VM. It is running on Catalina.
Fillmore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks