Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 10:32   #5626
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Hi Guys,
I am looking for a decent laptop for my 4 year kid for his online classes in school. ................................

I am eyeing on Thinkpad E14 series which has Intel Core i7 Processor, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD hard disk. Have good experience with Thinkpads while I worked in IBM few years ago, my wife too has a T480 Thinkpad now which is quite sturdy in comparison to HP Elitebook I have from office. Anyone having experience with E series hope it is similar to T series Thinkpad in terms of performance and durability.
For a 4 year kid, I would recommend an inexpensive laptop 15/i3 based. What you need is a basic laptop that will have a decent video performance. Oh try and get one with
. Spill resistant keyboard
. Toughened screen
. Light weight
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 10:54   #5627
Senior - BHPian

Even better - An all in one desktop will do the trick.
Bigger screens. It helps the child stay and take classes at one place as opposed to having the habit of moving around with the laptop to different rooms to take the online classes.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 11:24   #5628
BHPian

Last week, I got ThinkPad E14 for my kid who's in 8th Standard. I got i3/4GB/256GB SSD and this comes with HD screen. I bought the one without OS and installed Ubuntu 20.04. So far working flawlessly. Kid's very happy with the screen and fluidic performance.

I got this from Amazon, for 28k in exchange with 7yrs old Acer laptop.

Very happy with the deal.

Quote:
I am eyeing on Thinkpad E14 series which has Intel Core i7 Processor, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD hard disk. Have good experience with Thinkpads while I worked in IBM few years ago, my wife too has a T480 Thinkpad now which is quite sturdy in comparison to HP Elitebook I have from office. Anyone having experience with E series hope it is similar to T series Thinkpad in terms of performance and durability.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 12:06   #5629
BHPian

For budget laptops i'd recommend going with one of the few AMD Ryzen 5 laptops as they will outperform any Intel i3 laptops.
AnandB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 22:52   #5630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
I am sorry and no offence but i would say that the above quoted text is mother of all overkills and beyond any logic.
It can be used occasionally by us too hence going for some decent specifications. For instance our office laptop does not support external usb or hard disk devices, so it can be utilized in case I have to transfer some data from phone.

I checked the basic laptops which are anyways in range of 50-60k hence going for a top spec will anyways be good for him as it will last much longer and will perform well over a period of time. With phones having 12GB RAM now I think 16GB for a laptop is still fine, my thought though.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 09:55   #5631
BHPian

Quote:
It can be used occasionally by us too hence going for some decent specifications. For instance our office laptop does not support external usb or hard disk devices, so it can be utilized in case I have to transfer some data from phone.

I checked the basic laptops which are anyways in range of 50-60k hence going for a top spec will anyways be good for him as it will last much longer and will perform well over a period of time. With phones having 12GB RAM now I think 16GB for a laptop is still fine, my thought though.
Having owned almost 6 devices in last 10 years out of which only two have conked off and rest all are in service (Dont ask why, my company has an awesome IT policy) I can safely say any device with the contemporary i5 processor is good enough to survive for 7-8 years.
In recent times, AMD has beaten intel fair and square in performance terms thus Ryzen 5 series chipset will be the choice of processor. So even for future proofing purposes i will go for Ryzen 4000 series (Latest gen) chipset, with dual channel ram (4+4 - more than enough, single channel ram sucks with AMD) and SATA SSD (nvme SSD at a later date if needed).
i7 processor still remains an overkill unless you are looking for hardcore creative or gaming stuff
roamer012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 10:05   #5632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Even better - An all in one desktop will do the trick.
Bigger screens. It helps the child stay and take classes at one place as opposed to having the habit of moving around with the laptop to different rooms to take the online classes.
Even I thought the same before online school started. But "class" for a 4yr old also means dance yoga and just goofing around for which the camera is expected to be movable so that the teachers can follow the kids as they do the various asanas. Hence a desktop won't work unless you have a separate webcam.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 10:34   #5633
BHPian

Quote:
It can be used occasionally by us too hence going for some decent specifications.
If you are willing to spend that much (around 1 Lakh?), look for something with a better GPU to be future proof. The model you have mentioned has RX 640 2GB which is below par even by current standard.
Old 7th July 2020, 10:46   #5634
Senior - BHPian

You can however hook up the very flexible LifeCam, like I did. It's fantastic
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Class also means dance yoga and just goofing around for which the camera is expected to be movable so that the teachers can follow the kids as they do the various asanas
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_17741.jpg  

Old 7th July 2020, 17:43   #5635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
If you are willing to spend that much (around 1 Lakh?), look for something with a better GPU to be future proof. The model you have mentioned has RX 640 2GB which is below par even by current standard.
Thanks but seems I missed the GPU maybe I can upgrade it later to something more better, anyways the Laptop has arrived today. It looks tough similar to the T series at least from outside.
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20200705_114851.jpg  

roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 17:51   #5636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but seems I missed the GPU maybe I can upgrade it later to something more better, anyways the Laptop has arrived today. It looks tough similar to the T series at least from outside.
You cannot upgrade GPU on a laptop.

However it should not matter if you do not game or do heavy duty video editing

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 7th July 2020 at 17:52.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 19:30   #5637
BHPian

My 2017 MacBook Air shuts down after entering login details. Have never faced any issues with my laptop before.

Has anyone experienced this issue & can help me with the solution.
Old 9th July 2020, 03:18   #5638
BHPian

Wow! Just look at how far laptop CPUs have come in the last couple of years. I knew that they had closed quite a bit of the gap with desktop CPUs, but I didn't think it was as close as it actually is. God bless competition!

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 08:47   #5639
BHPian

Hello bhpians,
I am looking for a new ultrabook laptop for my sister that has a good screen and great battery life but should also offer fluent performance on day to day task (lots of browsing, pdf reading, youtube, ms office; sometimes few of these simultaneously) and should also have a good build. Surprisingly, I am having a tough time finding one below 1lac budget, she is open to both macOS and windows. The Good screen part is as important as all other criterias.
Do any of you have any experience with the LG gram series? I have shortlisted the below but couldn't find a single review anywhere on the net:

https://www.amazon.in/LG-14Z990-14-0.../dp/B07VPK4LM6

Also, the new tenth series chipsets on new ultrabooks like the spectre and xps 13 ie. i5-1035g4 have such a low base clock (1.1ghz), are they any good?
Old 9th July 2020, 10:18   #5640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Wow! Just look at how far laptop CPUs have come in the last couple of years.
There is some more work to do for AMD and their partners. For a start they need to dump anything and everything Realtek for laptop/notebook network controllers. Absolutely horrible chips.

Their range for laptop chips is pretty limited. With an Intel part, you can go from a G Mobile series right up to a i9 mobile.

Battery back up is just about okay. Not a patch to some Intel options.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks