Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2020, 14:24   #5746
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I could configure this specs for a ThinkPad E15 laptop for $1121/-(Approx. INR 84K).
What's the significance of E/T/X prefix on their 'ThinkPad' line of laptops?
Could we upgrade the additional RAM, going ahead?
Anyone having Thinkpad E15? Please share your feedback based on your experience. I am planning to buy a laptop this month for my son who will be going college this year. My preferred configurations are:

- 15.6" screen, FHD
- 512 SSD (No HDD)
- 8 or 16 GB Ram
- No Graphics card (have a Desktop PC at home)
- Sleek, light weight, robust build quality
- USB Type-C with charging (optional)
- 60-80K Budget
Old 7th August 2020, 16:13   #5747
BHPian

Hi all,

I have been using a HP Pavilion 15 series notebook for 4 years since now. Recently, upon a power cut I noticed that the battery is faulty. The laptop works fine when connect to the power with/without battery which means that there is no issue in power supply/cord.

My question is, I ran the system diagnosis and it says an unknown error. Upon investigating, HP says that unknown will appear only when a battery is not socketed properly. It suggested to restart after removing and placing back the battery and to my hate, it didn't worked.

I'm willing to change to the battery while the reason I'm here is that, is this software or an hardware error? What if my laptop works the same as now even with a new battery?

Anybody experienced this before, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 8th August 2020, 11:02   #5748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagann13 View Post
Hi all,

My question is, I ran the system diagnosis and it says an unknown error. Upon investigating, HP says that unknown will appear only when a battery is not socketed properly. It suggested to restart after removing and placing back the battery and to my hate, it didn't worked.

I'm willing to change to the battery while the reason I'm here is that, is this software or an hardware error? What if my laptop works the same as now even with a new battery?

Anybody experienced this before, please let me know.

Thanks!
Most of these batteries have a controller chip which keeps track of the number of charges and the battery condition. In half the cases your type of battery error comes due to the controller chip misbehaving. The battery per say may be good. If there is any one who repairs laptop batteries, you can get the battery checked, and most probably the chip can be replaced if battery is fine.

I have faced similar issues with my Thinkpad X series a number of times.
Old 8th August 2020, 20:01   #5749
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Better processor but I would be very surprised if that laptop was under 50k. Anything around 40k would make it a good deal. While its not as portable and doesn't come with an SSD, buy this instead if you see it under for 40.
Need your help again, I'm lot more confused now though I have better clarity on my requirements and budget

Preferred Minimum Configuration for Laptop:
  • Intel Core i5 10th Gen Processor
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1 TB HDD or 512 GB SSD
  • 14" or 15" display
*16GB RAM & Graphics card would be bonuses but I didn't find any with 16 GB RAM

Here are a few options I found on Amazon (haven't yet compared the same model/spec on other sites):
HP Pavilion 14 59.9k
https://www.amazon.in/HP-Processor-1...s%2C269&sr=8-3

Dell Inspiron 3593 59k
https://www.amazon.in/DELL-15-6-inch...6895651&sr=8-2

Dell Inspiron 3493 51k
https://www.amazon.in/Dell-Inspiron-...6895651&sr=8-6

Dell Inspiron 3493 56k
https://www.amazon.in/Inspiron-3493-...6895651&sr=8-7

Dell Inspiron 3593 64.9k
https://www.amazon.in/DELL-15-6-inch...895651&sr=8-10

Asus Vivobook 14 44.9k
https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-VivoBook-...6896216&sr=8-9

Asus Vivobook 14 48.7k
https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-i5-1035G1...6896216&sr=8-3

Asus Vivobook 14 54.1k
https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-VivoBook-...6896216&sr=8-5

Asus Vivobook 15 64.9k
https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-X512FL-EJ...6896216&sr=8-4
Old 8th August 2020, 20:32   #5750
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Need your help again, I'm lot more confused now though I have better clarity on my requirements and budget

• 8GB RAM
  • 1 TB HDD or 512 GB SSD
  • 14" or 15" display
If 16 GB ram is what you are looking for, make sure you look for laptop's that don't have ram soldered onto the motherboard. I would say buy the ryzen 5 laptop I shared here, it might be on the same page or previous page, but 8 gigs ram from Amazon, costs just 3k and upgrade it, warranty won't be an issue as I did the same for my asus laptop.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 20:37   #5751
BHPian

Quote:

• 8GB RAM
  • 1 TB HDD or 512 GB SSD
  • 14" or 15" display
Could you clarify your requirements further? What will this computer be used for? How important is portability to you? Why Intel?
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 20:46   #5752
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you clarify your requirements further? What will this computer be used for? How important is portability to you? Why Intel?
Mainly for college/academic project use that may include photo/graphics and video editing applications, internet browsing, MS Office applications, ocassional light gaming.

Not particular about Intel processor, anything better than the i5 will be good too (does the i7 have overheating issues? But that will take pricing to the 70k+ range)

*Also, as @rbp mentioned, even if the machine comes with 8gb and I can upgrade it to 16gb later, I'm good.

On portability, yes it may need to be carried around for project work.

Last edited by NPV : 8th August 2020 at 21:13.
Old 8th August 2020, 21:53   #5753
BHPian

Quote:
Mainly for college/academic project use that may include photo/graphics and video editing applications, internet browsing, MS Office applications, ocassional light gaming.

Not particular about Intel processor, anything better than the i5 will be good too (does the i7 have overheating issues? But that will take pricing to the 70k+ range)

*Also, as @rbp mentioned, even if the machine comes with 8gb and I can upgrade it to 16gb later, I'm good.

On portability, yes it may need to be carried around for project work & demos.
3000 series Ryzen 5s are equivalent to i5s while being cheaper, 4000 series R5s are superior to most i7s. Heat dissipation is dependent on many factors.

Most of these requirements can be met within a budget of ~50k without getting too bulky so as to hinder movement.

Video editing is an exception. If this is important:-

*~60k if portability is important. Every laptop is portable, what I'm asking here is if you're willing to pay a premium for it or willing to limit your RAM capacity to 8GB (which is sufficient for the vast majority of uses)

*~75k if it needs to be done well and RAM expansion is a must. You would also need to forgo any portable aspirations that go beyond the normal portability of a laptop unless you're willing to spend even more.

16GB of RAM is a somewhat arbitrary requirement. You need processing that is fast enough to take advantage of such a large frame buffer. 8-12GB is optimal until you go beyond 6 cores(U parts).

So, 50-60-75 respectively. Once you've zeroed in on budget/fit, I can make a recommendation.

Last edited by Amien : 8th August 2020 at 22:04.
Old 8th August 2020, 21:58   #5754
BHPian

Somewhere I saw i3 also having turno boost. Must be a typographical error.
Old 8th August 2020, 22:40   #5755
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most of these requirements can be met within a budget of ~50k without getting too bulky so as to hinder movement.

Video editing is an exception. If this is important:-

*~60k if portability is important. Every laptop is portable, what I'm asking here is if you're willing to pay a premium for it or willing to limit your RAM capacity to 8GB (which is sufficient for the vast majority of uses)
I think I'm ok with 8gb RAM and a budget of 60k, what's the best configuration I can get ? Hope 512gb SSD and decent graphics card will also be part of such a configuration ?

Also not particular about any major brand as long as warranty support is decent enough.
Old 9th August 2020, 02:14   #5756
BHPian

Quote:
I think I'm ok with 8gb RAM and a budget of 60k, what's the best configuration I can get ? Hope 512gb SSD and decent graphics card will also be part of such a configuration ?

Also not particular about any major brand as long as warranty support is decent enough.
A dedicated GPU will one again either kill portability or end up costing a whole lot more. There's two ways to go about this:-

*Ultra-portable option = https://amzn.to/3gJhbC7
Integrated Radeon graphics on this are more than enough for your requirements/casual gaming. < My primary recommendation.

*Workstation/gaming laptop = https://amzn.to/2DpIhQw (currently out of stock, but a good point of comparison re: dGPU)

Both of these have 6 core 7nm processors that will easily handle the tasks you've mentioned.

Last edited by Amien : 9th August 2020 at 02:19. Reason: added option
Old 9th August 2020, 10:18   #5757
BHPian

Our Laptops are getting more expensive every year. What is the best way to minimise loss in case of product defect and/or unintended damage?

Has anyone taken Laptop Insurance? What was your experience?
What all does it cover?

Is it just a scam by insurance companies to get people's money?

Which is better? - Extended Warranty or Laptop Insurance

Requesting everyone's opinion.

Last edited by ZenMaster : 9th August 2020 at 10:20. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 9th August 2020, 13:48   #5758
BHPian

Quote:
If you are looking for this particular model, then I suggest you to wait for price correction. The reason being, I brought this laptop (on behalf of one of my relative) at 49k just before the prime day sale. The reason I suggested them to go with this laptop is almost same requirement as mentioned by you. i5 10th gen / SSD / 8GB RAM.
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 15:35   #5759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Which is better? - Extended Warranty or Laptop Insurance[/b].

Requesting everyone's opinion.
Extended warranty is better any day, I feel insurance for gadgets is just a scam, its bad enough we've to pay insurance for vehicles and they increase premiums annually by a LOT.

My opinion is -

1) Buy a laptop that is the cheapest thing within your requirements (50-60K is always a good budget for most)

2) Take maximum extended warranty.

3) Always replace than repair when the time comes, HDD/RAM are cheap, motherboards are a bit expensive but since you've saved initially by buying the cost effective laptop, its ok to do such repairs after 4 or 5 years. (20k max). If there is major damage like screen + motherboard, junk it and buy new, again the cheapest variant possible. Anything above 6-7 years from a laptop is well served.

4) Treat the laptop carefully, do regular fan cleaning (pressurized air to remove dust), clean keyboard crevices, screen etc, keep it dust free, and do monthly disk cleanups and scans. Should keep the laptop healthy for long.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 00:05   #5760
BHPian

What is up with Acer India?

Few weeks ago I started my hunt for a laptop under 75k with some requirements like i7 processor, ssd storage, 8 gb ram and (preferably) 15.6 inch FHD display. My search led me to Acer Aspire 5 A515 54G on amazon.

The title on amazon says it has 10510U i7 processor, but down in the details section it's written the processor is i7 2600, which according to official intel site has been discontinued.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20200811_234522.jpg

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20200811_234601.jpg

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20200811_230332.jpg

Acer's official list of Aspire 5 models does not have any mention of A515 54 series, but their official store has 3 laptops of the series for sale. Two of them even have the same name A515 54G. But all of them have i5 processors.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20200811_232657.jpg

I can accept that may be 2600 in amazon description is a mistake, but what about Acer's official site and store? Does anyone have a possible explanation?

Though a lucrative deal, but I stayed away from this laptop because of the discripancies in information and ordered a Lenovo ideapad gaming i3 laptop.

Note: The pictures in this posts are mere screenshots from various sites. Please go to the included links for more clarity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks