Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2020, 17:57   #5791
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Thank you for your recommendation, will surely look into this.

Any idea how are thinkpad for such usage?
I don’t play any games and usually keep my laptops for 6-8 years.
Old 30th August 2020, 18:45   #5792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post

Any recommendations? Budget wise I am fine with around 75-80k, looking for reliability and performance.
The intel Tigerlake (11th gen) is coming next week (on 2nd I think)
Wait for that and decide. From leaked benchmarks it seems to be the real deal.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 19:41   #5793
BHPian

Guys I need some quick suggestions on the below Ultrabooks from HUAWEI. Both of them are similar except for the Processor, AMD being slightly cheaper with Integrated Graphic card and Processor Speed: 2.10GHz which is better than i5. And I am seeing claims of new AMD Ryzen performing better than Intel. Comment your opinions please.

[b]HUAWEI Matebook D 15, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U
8GB RAM, 15.6 Inch, Win 10
Total Storage (Capacity): 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon Vega Integrated
Processor Speed: 2.10GHz

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-amd.jpg
https://www.extra.com/en-sa/computer...er/p/100125039

Huawei Matebook D 15, Core i5 10Th Generation
15.6 Inch, 1TB+256GB SSD, 8GB RAM
Processor Speed: 1.00GHz
Graphics Controller Brand: NVIDIA
Graphics Memory Capacity: 2GB
Graphics Controller Model: MX25

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-i5.jpg
https://www.extra.com/en-sa/computer...ey/p/100151946

Last edited by kamilharis : 30th August 2020 at 19:42.
Old 31st August 2020, 00:16   #5794
BHPian

Quote:
Any recommendations? Budget wise I am fine with around 75-80k, looking for reliability and performance.
The new 7nm 6-8 core Ryzen 4000 parts handily outperform what Intel has to offer. AMD's integrated graphics are also superior, making Intel parts an option only when paired with a discrete GPU.

Pick one of the 3 on this page based on your preference:- https://nextpc.co/2020/08/09/70plus/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Guys I need some quick suggestions on the below Ultrabooks from HUAWEI. Both of them are similar except for the Processor, AMD being slightly cheaper with Integrated Graphic card and Processor Speed: 2.10GHz which is better than i5. And I am seeing claims of new AMD Ryzen performing better than Intel. Comment your opinions please.
Both processors are about equal but as a system the Intel one edges ahead thanks to the discrete GPU, which also makes it more expensive. Integrated graphics will also reserve some of the system memory so make your choice accordingly.

Specify a budget/usecase for this machine so that we can help point out potentially better alternatives.

Last edited by Amien : 31st August 2020 at 00:41.
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 10:32   #5795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thinkpads are good for managers

Trouble with Thinkpad (and other laptop with U series CPUs) is performance. Just does not work with :
  1. PyCharm / IntelliJ +
  2. Couple of Open Projects +
  3. VM / Docker for local DB / service images
As soon as you fire up a local pipeline (build + deploy), CPU will be throttled in few seconds.

Another laptop that will face similar issue : https://store.hp.com/in-en/default/l...u-231t2pa.html

In case , you do not see such requirements (say laptop is only running frontend + one local service and everything else is on a data center / cloud), then U series laptop might work.
Old 31st August 2020, 10:52   #5796
BHPian

If you have a current account with Kotak, do check this discount of 35% for Lenovo

https://www.kotak.com/en/offers/offe...at-lenovo.html
Old 31st August 2020, 10:59   #5797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Specify a budget/usecase for this machine so that we can help point out potentially better alternatives.
Budget is 3000 Saudi Riyal at max wiz. ₹55000 appx, can stretch a bit. These 2 are the one I zeroed in that budget. Usage is normal to occasional gaming maybe. SSD only laptops are ruled out, HDD is a must.

I am not an expert in the laptop specs so I got confused with the AMD & Intel. And the processor speed of AMD looked better on paper @2.10 against 1.00 of Intel. AMD is slightly cheaper too. Is Intel worth the small premium or the new AMD Ryzen can be a safe bet ? Open for other suggestions too. Or help me to zero one from this HUAWEI Ultrabooks. Thank You All.

Last edited by kamilharis : 31st August 2020 at 11:05.
Old 31st August 2020, 13:09   #5798
BHPian

Quote:
Is Intel worth the small premium or the new AMD Ryzen can be a safe bet?
If going for a laptop with an AMD Ryzen processor, then it should be the new 4000 series AMD processors. The one which you have put into the comparison although not bad, is also not great. And since it's slightly cheaper than the Intel-based laptop, you can choose to pay less for less performance, or pay more for more performance. See the CPU comparison below.

If you're able to get your hands on a laptop with the Ryzen 4000 series processors, those are really worth considering. Alternatively, if you can wait, Intel is supposed to be releasing their next generation of laptop processors next week. Once they release and enter the market, then you can take a decision based on a wider range of choices.

If you cannot wait, and want to get one now, then assuming that you don't need dedicated graphics in your laptop, this would be my pick within your price-range: https://www.extra.com/en-sa/computer...er/p/100149834.

If your concern is just about reliability, then you have nothing to worry about there. AMD is just as reliable as Intel. Each vendor (like Huawei, Lenovo, Dell etc.) builds the laptops of each manufacturer (AMD & Intel) differently however, so there is that factor to keep in mind.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-cpu-comparison1.jpg

Source

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 16:09   #5799
BHPian

Thank you Joxster for your valuable inputs. The laptop you have suggested doesn't come with an HDD storage I guess, still I would evaluate it the next time I visit the store. I wish I could run both the AMD and Intel version of the Huawei D15 together to get a real world feel. If other laptops doesn't fit the bill I would pick any one from these after running a real world test. The price difference is anyway negligible between both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Alternatively, if you can wait, Intel is supposed to be releasing their next generation of laptop processors next week. Once they release and enter the market, then you can take a decision based on a wider range of choices.
Let me check with the store people regarding this. If things get too late I might end up buying one from the HUAWEI twins, mostly. Thanks again!
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 16:28   #5800
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Joxster for your valuable inputs. The laptop you have suggested doesn't come with an HDD storage I guess, still I would evaluate it the next time I visit the store.
You're most welcome! Storage is almost always expandable (except Apple), with laptop internal HDDs being 5400rpm (read very slow), it would always be preferable to get an additional SSD to expand your storage capacity instead of an internal HDD. The CPU on the other hand remains the same for the life of the laptop, so that's the key component that your choice should be based on

Quote:
If things get too late I might end up buying one from the HUAWEI twins, mostly. Thanks again!
Good luck! Let us know what you end up getting

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 16:35   #5801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
The new 7nm 6-8 core Ryzen 4000 parts handily outperform what Intel has to offer. AMD's integrated graphics are also superior, making Intel parts an option only when paired with a discrete GPU.

Pick one of the 3 on this page based on your preference:- https://nextpc.co/2020/08/09/70plus/

Both processors are about equal but as a system the Intel one edges ahead thanks to the discrete GPU, which also makes it more expensive. Integrated graphics will also reserve some of the system memory so make your choice accordingly.

I would still go with intel for a long term hasle free experience. I have seen a few AMDs and on laptops they heat up a bit and the fan is always whirring....
Old 2nd September 2020, 14:23   #5802

Quote:
Thank you for your recommendation, will surely look into this.

I currently use a ThinkPad Yoga which I got around 2016, still going strong. I don't play games on it ether, apart from having run a bit of CS and Flight Sim X. Handled a lot of accidental abuse as well (Hot latte spilled onto the keyboard) without any issues. Looks as good as new; the only thing that did not perform as expected has been the rubber screw caps on the bottom side.
lone_wanderer01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:01   #5803
BHPian

Quote:

If your priority is durability over all else the it might come into consideration as pointed out above.

However, atleast in the ~75k range the Thinkpads aren't worth it as you're paying between 15-25k extra for the same relative performance versus alternatives. A lot of portability is also sacrificed (although this may not be important to you).

At ~60k or ~100k is where the Thinkpad line is strongest. For 75k though, I would like to see either more CPU cores or a discrete GPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
I would still go with intel for a long term hasle free experience. I have seen a few AMDs and on laptops they heat up a bit and the fan is always whirring....
Addressed here :- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ntel-cpus.html (AMD vs Intel CPUs) , linking for continuity.

Last edited by Amien : 3rd September 2020 at 01:15. Reason: added text
Old 3rd September 2020, 15:49   #5804
BHPian

Hello fellow members, I want to add an SSD without replacing the original HDD of my Asus X505ZA Ryzen 5 Vivobook. It has 8 GB factory ram and I would like to add another 4 GB to it too if it won't affect the battery backup much. I have decent software knowledge but I'm completely noob to DIY hardware upgrades.

Also does anyone have an idea as to why the fan keeps running at fairly high RPMs all the time? Is it due to the AMD processor or the placement of vents because the vents are placed farely low at the back and hence they get covered a bit while placed on a table. Also the raised bar at the bottom to help the vents to dissipate the heat is very thin and barely helps in raising the vent angle. I use it all the time in an air conditioned room with fairly low temperatures, still the issue persists. Following is the raised bar I was talking about. Kindly advise

P.S. I posted this question on hardware DIY upgrade thread too but got no response.
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20200903_134338.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2020, 16:46   #5805
Senior - BHPian

Greetings,

Can the parts of a 13" sony vaio laptop be salvaged and used to build a HTPC on a coolermaster elite 130 case? Or am i better off leaving it as it is?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks