Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 10:53   #5851
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Does anyone have any experience using the MSI Alpha 15? This one here is cheaper than its sibling under the same name but with slightly inferior specs. I'm also not too sure about the service and customer care of MSI. It has mixed reviews about it all across the world. Looking for a good laptop for CSE.

Link: https://www.flipkart.com/msi-alpha-1...ebd6652a1e699c
Old 24th September 2020, 11:28   #5852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Does anyone have any experience using the MSI Alpha 15? This one here is cheaper than its sibling under the same name but with slightly inferior specs. I'm also not too sure about the service and customer care of MSI. It has mixed reviews about it all across the world. Looking for a good laptop for CSE.

Boss, while i don’t own a MSI, but 2 of my friends do - A MSI GS65 stealth and another MSI GL63. Both don’t have good things to say about Thermals, hinge design and after sales. According to them, thermals are really bad and not suited for Indian conditions wherein heat cannot be properly dissipated as ambient room temperatures in India are high. Further, one of the them had hinge broken within a year of ownership and still MSI has not been able to repair the same. The other guy with MSI GL63 thought of getting thermal repasting done for his laptop, but the service center guy probably did not properly assemble the laptop - now there are weird artefacts that pop up now and then on his display.

Would suggest to stick with brands like HP, Dell, Lenovo for peace of mind post purchase
Turbo_anup is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 14:19   #5853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post

Like most brands, MSI has its hits-and-misses. The GL and stealth models are best avoided (thermal issues akin to ASUS's TUF series). Bravo, GF and Creator are the good ones. MSI's service has improved tremendously as well.

The Alpha is not bad although this one features an older Ryzen, which while still capable, should not be your first choice in this range. Pick something based on the new Ryzen 7nm Hex-core CPUs whenever possible. Similarly, while that 5500m is a good card for the price, it is still a bit behind the 1660Ti. If GPU/3D performance is your priority, springing for that might be worthwhile even if you have to give up a bit of CPU performance.

Every laptop currently worth considering is linked here:- https://nextpc.co/2020/08/24/workplay/

No matter what you buy, test thoroughly during the return period. Hope that helps

Last edited by Amien : 24th September 2020 at 14:34. Reason: GPU
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 16:15   #5854
BHPian

Ordered this absolute beast of a laptop (if you can even call it that) for my manager's son to play AAA game titles on.

Name:  XMG Apex 15.PNG
Views: 1064
Size:  84.8 KB

A desktop would have been preferred, but since he moves between his mom & dad's houses every week and wants to be able to take the system along with him, I helped him narrow down to this as it's pretty much the closest you can get to a desktop experience in a laptop form factor.

I think I might be more excited about this laptop arriving than he is

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 24th September 2020 at 16:16.
Joxster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 17:56   #5855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Ordered this absolute beast of a laptop (if you can even call it that) for my manager's son to play AAA game titles on.

Attachment 2058689

A desktop would have been preferred, but since he moves between his mom & dad's houses every week and wants to be able to take the system along with him, I helped him narrow down to this as it's pretty much the closest you can get to a desktop experience in a laptop form factor.

I think I might be more excited about this laptop arriving than he is

Cheers
Very nice! This looks like a Clevo(TW)/Schenker(German boutique laptop maker) chassis . I'm guessing he wasn't keen on a portable SFF PC build he could carry between houses? (finding a display in either house shouldn't be too hard.)

Last edited by Amien : 24th September 2020 at 18:05.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:19   #5856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Very nice! This looks like a Clevo(TW)/Schenker(other German boutique laptop maker) chassis . I'm guessing he wasn't keen on a portable SFF PC build he could carry between houses? (finding a display in either house shouldn't be too hard.)
Yes, it's from Schenker and based on a Clevo chassis.

He also wanted to be able to use the system elsewhere, so laptop it is.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 08:31   #5857
GT3
BHPian

My sister is looking to get a 2in1 laptop with touchscreen within a budget of 80,000 Rs. Her usage will be online classes, browsing, doc works and movies. Kindly suggest a laptop for the use case.
Old 30th September 2020, 10:03   #5858
Senior - BHPian

Hello Folks,
I'm trying to buy a laptop for mom and would appreciate some inputs. I'll be buying it online from the US for her in Bangalore. I don't really want them to go to a store in India due to COVID-19.

Usage:
1. MS Office
2. Recording music + some classes on skype
3. Browsing + Email + Social media

Min specs:
1. 256 GB SSD
2. 8 GB RAM - I'd love to avoid asking them to upgrade a 4GB RAM to 8GB
3. 15.6" display
4. Windows 10 only

Additionally, I want a laptop which has decent support. I'd love it if she never uses that support for the 4-5 years that she'll use the machine.

Here are some options I've seen:
1. Lenovo V15
2. Asus X509JA - Has no review on Amazaon - does any BHPian have a personal experience?
3. Asus Vivobook 15
4. HP 15s

Any other options are also welcome. TIA

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 30th September 2020 at 10:05.
Old 30th September 2020, 13:25   #5859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hello Folks,

For that age group, I would recommend get her an iPad. The ease of use and robustness of the m/c justifies the cost you pay upfront
LonelyPlanet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 13:45   #5860
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,
I'm trying to buy a laptop for mom and would appreciate some inputs.
Min specs:
1. 256 GB SSD
2. 8 GB RAM - I'd love to avoid asking them to upgrade a 4GB RAM to 8GB
3. 15.6" display
4. Windows 10 only
We just bought a laptop for my son's online classes. you can have a look at it. It fulfills all your criteria except that its is a 14 inch not 15.6.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08G24RGKS/
car-dent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 17:12   #5861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 View Post
My sister is looking to get a 2in1 laptop with touchscreen within a budget of 80,000 Rs. Her usage will be online classes, browsing, doc works and movies. Kindly suggest a laptop for the use case.
The HP Envy x360 should be a good fit:- https://amzn.to/3by4R64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
For that age group, I would recommend get her an iPad. The ease of use and robustness of the m/c justifies the cost you pay upfront
+1 for this suggestion. You can pair this with a good keyboard like the Logitech K480 if needed.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 19:51   #5862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
The HP Envy x360 should be a good fit:- https://amzn.to/3by4R64

+1 for this suggestion. You can pair this with a good keyboard like the Logitech K480 if needed.
I would strongly suggest that she get the Samsung Galaxy Tab s7+ 12 .4 inches .I just got once recently and its just awesome . It can turn into a desktop with all the goodness of a Tablet . You should watch some videos of it to make a decision .
Old 30th September 2020, 23:04   #5863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Thanks for the suggestion - I'd have bought her a Mac if she was willing to switch.

Being used to Windows for 20 years, she's reluctant to shift to iPads. Plus her current dell is nearing 5 years and I think that is decent life for a laptop with a HDD. Time for replacement as her birthday is soon approaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
We just bought a laptop for my son's online classes. ...
Thanks This looks good. How are the hinges in the lower end HPs?
Old 30th September 2020, 23:23   #5864
BHPian

Quote:

My wife uses a similar laptop with a slightly different configuration since more than one year. Have upgraded that one to 8GB ram ( originally had 4GB) and added an SSD ( that came with 1 tb hdd). Have been pretty much satisfied. No issues at all.

So we bought the similar one for my son. This one doesn't need any upgrade. (Although an HDD can be added if required.)
Old 30th September 2020, 23:27   #5865
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion - I'd have bought her a Mac if she was willing to switch.

Being used to Windows for 20 years, she's reluctant to shift to iPads. Plus her current dell is nearing 5 years and I think that is decent life for a laptop with a HDD. Time for replacement as her birthday is soon approaching.

Since you would have bought her a Mac if she could switch, then get her Dell XPS 13 or 15 with base config. Just don't tell her the price though.
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed