Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2020, 18:45   #5926
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Hi, requesting your inputs on the ASUS laptop (ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DT) available on Amazon
Please do not buy a gaming laptop for the sort of usage you have in mind. I would highly recommend this Vivobook Ultra instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Is turbo boost feature added to Intel i3 processor also? AFAIK it was only available on i5. Is this feature added on 10 generation i3? In some laptop ads I have noticed it.
i3 processors have had turbo boost 2.0 since atleast the 8th gen.

Last edited by Amien : 10th November 2020 at 19:00.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 07:28   #5927
BHPian

Any laptop recommendations for parents who are 65+? Their main usage is browsing. The one they are using now is starting to show its age.
Old 12th November 2020, 07:56   #5928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Any laptop recommendations for parents who are 65+? Their main usage is browsing. The one they are using now is starting to show its age.
I would not buy them a laptop to be honest. I would give them a tablet like an iPad since the main usage is browsing only.
extreme_torque is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 08:13   #5929
BHPian

Quote:
Just get them an extremely light laptop under 1.5kg. And figure out which brand has a great support in the city in case of breakdowns.

I just got my Father in law the Samsung A7 tablet. He needed it for family calls and to track his investments. Android has a great app support for elderlies.

But if your parents are well versed with laptop, then a lighter, well-serviced brand is what you should look at.

You can look at these two:

Asus Core i3 10th Gen - (4 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) X413JA-EK261T Thin and Light Laptop
https://dl.flipkart.com/dl/asus-core...oduct.share.pp

Or

Lenovo ThinkBook 14 Core i3 10th Gen - (4 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10) ThinkBook 14 IIL Thin and Light Laptop
https://dl.flipkart.com/dl/lenovo-th...oduct.share.pp
Old 12th November 2020, 08:44   #5930
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with other recommendations that a Tab might be a better fit.

But if a laptop is what you are looking for - the one I mentioned below fits the bill perfectly. It’s out of stock now but typically goes for approx 20k which is a really good deal.

https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-VivoBook-...5150622&sr=8-8
Old 12th November 2020, 11:49   #5931
BHPian

Thanks for your responses.

I will look into the laptops suggested. My parents already have an iPad but they like the flexibility offered by a laptop and prefer the physical keyboard and a mouse.

Thanks again for the recommendations.
Old 12th November 2020, 16:08   #5932
BHPian

Quote:
How much do you want to spend on it? The default option for a reliable laptop is a Thinkpad like the one linked below:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
If durability/longevity is your priority, I would recommend this Thinkpad
Well-built + very easy to use and service.
Old 12th November 2020, 20:54   #5933
BHPian

Quote:
I will look into the laptops suggested. My parents already have an iPad but they like the flexibility offered by a laptop and prefer the physical keyboard and a mouse.
Why don’t you get a Apple keyboard folio for the ipad and a Bluetooth mouse? If you are on budget, you can even get a normal Bluetooth keyboard (like Logitech K480). You may not need to buy a new laptop then.

Last edited by woof : 12th November 2020 at 20:55. Reason: Typo error
woof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 06:36   #5934
BHPian

Re: Soldered RAMs?

I am looking for a Ryzen 4000 series laptop with 15" screen and most of them come with soldered RAM. So, I would like to know whether these soldered RAMs are upgradeable in the future, may NOT be a DIY BUT by a qualified technician.

Please advise!
Old 16th November 2020, 14:09   #5935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am looking for a Ryzen 4000 series laptop with 15" screen and most of them come with soldered RAM. So, I would like to know whether these soldered RAMs are upgradeable in the future, may NOT be a DIY BUT by a qualified technician.

Please advise!
15 inch, Ryzen 4000, upgradable RAM, shared just a few posts prior:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
I would highly recommend this Vivobook Ultra.
To answer your question about replacing soldered RAM, it is possible in theory but I wouldn't count on it. Slots accepting memory modules are prepared for multiple memory configurations and reconfigure themselves according to the descriptors in the SPD. To know more:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_presence_detect

Memory that is soldered may have a hardcoded configuration, so even if there is a skillful, and i mean VERY skillful replacement, it is possible that it might not work due to different number of banks, address lines or timing. The manufacturer could also simply prevent more memory from being used by setting a hard size-limit.

Last edited by Amien : 16th November 2020 at 14:13. Reason: wiki
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 21:27   #5936
BHPian

Hi,
I am in the market for a Monitor, preferably 27", Any leads? what brand is good for monitors? Budget is max 15k.

Also, how are curved monitors for work? I know curved screen is good for watching movies etc, but is it comfortable to work on curved monitor for more than 9 hours daily.
Old 17th November 2020, 21:42   #5937
BHPian

Hi, no experience with curved monitors, but I have been using a BenQ GW2760 for about 2 years now, and I'm really happy with it. I use it for general browsing, gaming and as a bedroom TV.

The updated model GW2780 seems to be available within your budget.
Old 17th November 2020, 23:03   #5938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Hi,
I am in the market for a Monitor, preferably 27", Any leads? what brand is good for monitors? Budget is max 15k.

Also, how are curved monitors for work? I know curved screen is good for watching movies etc, but is it comfortable to work on curved monitor for more than 9 hours daily.
Please post in the 'Computer Monitor Recommendations' thread for suggestions. You might also find the discussion around the following posts useful:- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4906013 (Computer monitor recommendations?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadixLecti View Post
Hi, no experience with curved monitors, but I have been using a BenQ GW2760 for about 2 years now, and I'm really happy with it. I use it for general browsing, gaming and as a bedroom TV.
Large monitors with low resolution might be okay for entertainment/when viewed from a distance but are sub-optimal for work/reading. This is mostly down to the low pixel density that is apparent when sitting right in front of the screen. A really good 24 inch monitor is a much better choice than a low-res 27-incher. This is also mostly true for curved versus flat, although for very different reasons.

Last edited by Amien : 17th November 2020 at 23:13. Reason: 2nd quote
Old 18th November 2020, 19:46   #5939
BHPian

Hello Guys - Any feedback on Dell Precision 5550 (which the internet tells me is a rebadged XPS 15 2020 model). Specifically looking for feedback about how hot and noisy it gets under reasonably loaded conditions and how long it lasts under light load. Looking at this as a replacement for 2017 MacBook Pro 15 for office use (miss Visio on Mac, and irrespective of whatever great stuff people say about lucidchart and others, don't think they are a replacement).

I've used several Dells in the past (both good and bad experiences), but they were all latitudes. Need a little more grunt this time, hence looking at Precision series.

Or, shall I play it safe and get 2020 MacBook Pro and run Visio via virtualization?

Rant: Why change? The 2017 MacBook Pro is a known problematic thing - has a bad keyboard and is now having display issues as well (stage-lighting effect caused by a cable design issue, which Apple acknowledges for MBP13 and fixes for free, but not on MBP15). Since the machine is more than 3 years old now, Apple care plan has expired, and the quote for fixing a 1000 Rs problem is 70k+ - simply because Apple decided to bond the cable to display and changing the cable means changing the display...
Old 18th November 2020, 21:23   #5940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Hello Guys - Any feedback on Dell Precision 5550 (which the internet tells me is a rebadged XPS 15 2020 model).

I've used several Dells in the past (both good and bad experiences), but they were all latitudes. Need a little more grunt this time, hence looking at Precision series.

Or, shall I play it safe and get 2020 MacBook Pro and run Visio via virtualization?
Could you share some more details about your workload? Do you need a mix of CPU+GPU grunt? How much you plan on spending, how important portability is to you and anything else that might help us recommend a good fit.

Dell's QC has been hit-or-miss lately. Thankfully, the Precision series has mostly been immune but the widespread sharing of parts/platforms between the lines makes me a little apprehensive about them. The cooling hardware gives you about 10-15 minutes (depending on config.) of sustained load before some throttling sets in to manage things. Light loads are no problem.

Recommending a Macbook is also a bit tricky at the moment; with the move to ARM, its not entirely clear what the next couple of years hold. Though the larger Macbooks should hold their own for a while, there are some concerns about the X86 models being relegated to 2nd-class citizens as the transition continues. Would definitely look into good 3rd party repair for the 2017 macbook if at all possible. Do share your thoughts.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed