Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2009, 18:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

USB giving trouble

On one of my PCs, every time I try to copy some data to my pen drive, it takes a long time to initialize and then it either:

1. gives an error saying "Error copying file or folder. Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

2. or it takes about 2 minutes to copy about 10MB of data.

What could be the problem? I have about 6 USB ports on the machine, and this happens with all of them. I am using a Microsoft Wireless Desktop over one of the ports and that works just fine. It's the pen drive that is giving trouble. The pen drive works perfectly fine on all my other machines. The pen drive is a 16GB Data Traveler, btw.

Things I have already tried:

1. Formatting the pen drive
2. Trying to update driver on those USB ports (the wizard can't find anything better than what is already installed.)
3. Disabling and enabling the USB from the device manager. (Here I disabled one by one until the second last port which was being used for the Wireless Desktop also was disabled and I was left with no way to operate the machine. Luckily there was one working USB port, thanks to which I could re-enable everything else.
Old 18th October 2009, 20:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

^^^ whats the mobo. Is it usb 2.
Old 18th October 2009, 20:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Do you have any anti-virus active on this machine that governs USB also? The infra guys in my office use a Symantec version for conveniently preventing copying via USB (security policy in our organization).

The first error seems to be a source file error.
Old 18th October 2009, 21:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
^^^ whats the mobo. Is it usb 2.
I don't know which MoBo it is. I do know it's an AMD Athlon Dual Core processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Do you have any anti-virus active on this machine that governs USB also? The infra guys in my office use a Symantec version for conveniently preventing copying via USB (security policy in our organization).

The first error seems to be a source file error.
I am using Kaspersky Internet Security 2009. As I said, I am sometimes able to copy small amounts of data (although it takes a lot of time), or if I try to copy a large amount of data, it sometimes partly gets copied. The rest of it is corrupted.

I know it shows a source file error. But it does this for just about any file I am trying to copy!
Old 18th October 2009, 21:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Do you have a spare HDD? if you fo, disconnect all other HDD and connect the spare, install Windows afresh. See if the USB works fine in the fresh install (even before you install *ANY* drivers). And then work your way up to what you install that causes the problem.

If the fresh install has the problem too, try a different version (Vista/ 7) of Windows...
Old 18th October 2009, 21:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

^^^ you don't need to do that. DOwnload any live windows cd like Hiren boot, etc and try the thing that Pho3n!x has mentioned.
Old 19th October 2009, 08:48   #7
BHPian

Try logging into that workstation as a different user (with Admin rights) and check if the USB works normally. Sometimes, it may be a windows profile issue.
Old 19th October 2009, 09:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Try another pendrive.

Also, download and install another AV like NOD32 (reboot after installing) and check if there is a resident worm that Kaspersky might have missed. I had a similar issue where Symantec never figured out there was a worm, but NOD32 promptly discovered the infection. (NOD32 coexists with other AV packages)

There is also a Windows malware detection update you could check out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks