Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2009, 17:36   #1
BHPian

Open BHP - BHPians on GNU/Linux

Since I couldn't find a dedicated thread, I started this for BHPians on GNU/Linux systems, and for other members who plan to either migrate to or try GNU/Linux.
Let us first introduce ourselves by posting how long we have been using Linux, reasons for using Linux, actual usage, the distros that we use, and the reasons for using the specific distro. Existing, and new users can post queries if they have any.

Using Linux since: sparingly between 2002-2005, 30-40% of times between 2005 to 2008 and almost entirely for the last 2 years.

Reasons: I like configurability, minimal code separation, control, and exclusivity to a certain extent. To add to this, I hated Vista, and I am not too fond of 7 either.

Actual usage:
Almost all the time. I use windows for recording-mixing audio (because that requires specific apps), and for a few games.

Distro: Arch Linux.

Reasons for choosing this Distro: Arch is lightweight, flexible, simple and aims to be very UNIX-like. Its design philosophy and implementation make it easy to extend and mold into whatever kind of system you're building- from a minimalist console machine to the most grandiose and feature rich desktop environments available. Rather than tearing out unneeded and unwanted packages, Arch offers the power user the ability to build up from a minimal foundation without any defaults chosen for them. It is the user who decides what Arch Linux will be (From the Arch wiki). To add to that, an excellent package manager in pacman, makes Arch my distro of choice.

I am looking forward to meet more BHPians on GNU/Linux.

Old 16th November 2009, 21:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's Note:

Please continue in the existing Linux thread. Thanks

Linky: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...rt-thread.html
Closed Thread

Most Viewed