Team-BHP - Wide voltage range SMPS
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Wide voltage range SMPS (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/70479-wide-voltage-range-smps.html)

Hi,

I am looking for a wide voltage range (100-230V) SMPS. But all i seem to get are 130-240V.

Any contact details of the vendor who sells these SMPS is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Pallavi

If you mean the SMPS power supply for a desktop PC, is there a specific reason why you would want to go down to 100V (unless you are carrying the same to Japan or USA)?

If you really want one anyhow, ask around at PC service joints if they have a PSU from an old Dell, HP or such machine whose PSU used to have a range switch, one for the 100-120V for US/Japan operation, and the other for 130-240 for other countries.

If you are referring to a wall charger or brick, almost all of them are 100-240V nowadays, unless specifically mentioned otherwise.

For what purpose, is the first question that comes to my mind.

You won't get a SMPS for that voltage range. I suppose you ae looking for this due to lack of UPS. If that's the case, its not a good idea. Or if you need it for a branded machine like DerAlte mentioned, best to check with the vendor.

Pretty much all old Compaq, Dell, Acer SMPS had a switch for 100-110v but remember this is ATX v1.0 and some of the new motherboard won`t work with these.

There is some equipment in our lab which needs to be on a 110V power supply. We have to connect some boards to this equipment via the SMPS. The regular SMPS we get here for the PCs (130-240V) are unable to power on the boards, for the obvious reason.

In the previous shipment, we got some SMPS (100-240V) shipped along with that set of boards. When i used them in this setup, the boards power on. So i am looking for SMPS with similar voltage range.

Hope i am clear.

My request again, if you know a vendor supplying these SMPS or if they are available online for purchase, do let me know.

Thanks in advance,
-Pallavi

I hope any of these two would suit your requirement.

Prime Source - FSP200-50SNV - Entry Level Power Supply for PC

Prime Source - FSP300-60GLS - High end Power Supply for PC (Special size)

You can buy them from techshop.in. Seasonic and Gigabyte PSUs meet the requirements. Here are the links:

Seasonic 380W S12II-380Bronze (SS-380GB Active PFC) Power Supply -

Seasonic 430W S12II-430Bronze (SS-430GB Active PFC) Power Supply -

Gigabyte Superb 550W GE-P450N-C2 Power Supply - GE-P450N-C2 by:

Seasonic 500W S12II-500Bronze (SS-500GB Active PFC) Power Supply -

I have bought earlier from techshop.in and found them to be safe. Hope this helps.

Thanks Shankar and Kapil. Will talk to the vendors.

-Pallavi

Just curious! what boards are those. can we have some images.

I remember during old days, sometimes voltages go way too low at our place. (90V)

We had a 230-110 step down transformer with good capacity, and we used to connect it in reverse into the house wiring to step up the voltage to something usable :) Risky thing but it was thrilling to do so.

The best option for your lab would be to buy a 230-110 transformer with adequate KVA rating and make 110V available to all the equipment wiring. Then you can safely connect all the 110V SMPSs to the sockets directly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 1610267)
I remember during old days, sometimes voltages go way too low at our place. (90V)

We had a 230-110 step down transformer with good capacity, and we used to connect it in reverse into the house wiring to step up the voltage to something usable :) Risky thing but it was thrilling to do so.

The best option for your lab would be to buy a 230-110 transformer with adequate KVA rating and make 110V available to all the equipment wiring. Then you can safely connect all the 110V SMPSs to the sockets directly.

Yup, thats what we did. The problem we are facing is that we are not finding an SMPS for that voltage. All the SMPS available are starting from 130V. So not usable on the 110V power line.

-Pallavi

Seasonic SMPS specs say Input Voltage 100-240V. That is in the first link in post #8.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NutsNBolts (Post 1612738)
Seasonic SMPS specs say Input Voltage 100-240V. That is in the first link in post #8.

Yup.. saw the link. The SMPS are too pricey compared to the normal ones. We have budget constraints too. About 100 such SMPS and we will be well over the lab budget for my team

I am working on changing the entire lab setup. The power control equipment (110V) is the bottle neck for us. My plan is to use a new power distribution unit (APC) which i can get in India. Less hassle and we can do away with the transformers, US pins, wide voltage range smps etc. Will take a week to finalize.

-Pallavi

If APC solution is required, lemme know. Will help. APC is one of my channel partner.