Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 08:07   #106
BHPian

Re: DSLR Video Discussion

I did shoot this video of my KTM Duke 200 using Canon 1100D + Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro. Canon 1100D does not provide any option to control Aperture, ISO etc. Is there any firmware which I can upgrade ?

Old 13th March 2012, 15:57   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Canon 1100D does not provide any option to control Aperture, ISO etc.
Are you sure? Did you go to the movie menu and select "Manual Exposure" ?

That way you can change the aperture (recommended) or shutter speed, and as long as ISO is "AUTO", it will still expose the shot properly for you.

If you also select a specific ISO value, then you have to manage the exposure manually.

Quote:
Is there any firmware which I can upgrade ?
Yes, MagicLantern. (Its a 3rd party "firmware").

See my post here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2661550

cya
R
Old 13th March 2012, 20:50   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
That way you can change the aperture (recommended) or shutter speed, and as long as ISO is "AUTO", it will still expose the shot properly for you.

Yes, MagicLantern. (Its a 3rd party "firmware").

cya
R
dpreview says : Autofocus is not available during recording and you cannot take any stills images. During recording the aperture, shutter-speed and ISO are all set automatically. However, you can apply exposure compensation and lock the exposure.
Old 13th March 2012, 21:36   #109
Team-BHP Support

^ Seems like this might be the case on the 1100D! Though MagicLantern should add some other features.
Old 14th March 2012, 08:41   #110
BHPian

Quote:
dpreview says : Autofocus is not available during recording and you cannot take any stills images. During recording the aperture, shutter-speed and ISO are all set automatically. However, you can apply exposure compensation and lock the exposure.
Autofocus is not available, however you can customize the shutter button to enable autofocus during the movie, but it takes some time to lock the focus, best is to use manual focus in movie mode.
Old 20th October 2012, 19:28   #111
BHPian

do you guys use autofocus during videos of stage concerts? I took a video with my nokia phone.

Really good sound quality, but the autofocus (its a touch and focus system) kept jumping due to the lighting. Was wondering how it is in DSLRs.
Old 21st October 2012, 20:45   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
... but the autofocus (its a touch and focus system) kept jumping due to the lighting. Was wondering how it is in DSLRs.
Typically anyone shooting video with a DSLR at an above amature level will be using manual focus.

This is because virtually all DSLRs use very slow and hunty autofocus mechanism in LiveView mode. This method is called "contrast detection" and involves the focus over-shooting the focus point, and hunting back and forth a bit before locking focus. Not the ideal way to focus on something for viewers.

cya
R

PS - The just-launched Canon 650D uses "phase detection" instead, which lets the camera know exactly to what point it needs to focus the lens, and the STM (stepper) lens focuses right to that point. I've not used this as yet.
Old 14th December 2013, 13:09   #113
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

This is kind of repeated post from DSLR thread but I believe my post is more appropriate here.

After carefully observing lots of productions in the US, I have taken a decision to shoot a documentary using DSLR.

While my primary shooting may happen with canon 5d Mkii, if required I will add a Mkiii later, the rest of my kit below is static.

Apart from the camera the 2 other important components are video and audio field recorders (atomos ninja-2 and tascam DR-60d with rode ntg-3 mic)

So, here is my so far I have created and a small wish list to complete

Currently owned:
Camera & Light source
==============

Canon 5D Mark II (loaded magic lantern)
Canon Speedlite 550EX (not for this video project)

Optics
====
Canon 17-40mm L F/4 USM
Canon EF 85mm L F/1.2 II USM
Canon EF 300mm L IS F/4 USM
B+W KSM Circular Polarizer filter 77mm
Hoya HMC (0) UV filter 77mm

Storage
=====
SanDisk - Extreme 32GB CompactFlash (Camera's internal storage for Photographs)
SanDisk - Ultra 64GB microSDXC Class 10 Memory Card with SD card adapter (TASCAM sound tracks will be stored in this disk)
SanDisk 240GB Extreme® II Solid State Drive (Ninja-2 action shots will be recorded in SSD as to avoid moving parts in HDD creating problems)

Rig
==
Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG
Kamerar Camera Slider with Wheels
Photography & Cinema Pico Dolly with articulating arm
Benro A1580F tripod and Beike BK-03 Tripod Ball Head KS-0
Benro A38FBS2 Video Monopod with Flip Lock Legs, S2 Head and 3 Leg Base
Cinematics DSLR Pro Mattebox 4x4 15mm rod system
Kamerar TK-2 tank video cage
Kamerar FF-3 follow focus
Dual suction cup lifter (will be converted to have ball head mount)

Audio & Video field recorders
=================
TASCAM DR-60D field recorder
Rode NTG-3 shortgun microphone
Pearstone camera mount for microphone
Rode dead cat wind protection
Atomos Ninja-2 (Finally order placed, with MagicLantern firmware the Canon 5D MarkII could result the capture at 1622 x 912 resolution with 422 quality )
Pioneer SE-MJ591 stereo headphone - monitoring the audio
Mini HDMI to HDMI 1.4 coiled cable (connecting the camera to Ninja-2)
3.5mm to 3.5mm cable x 2 nos. (for camera output and to Ninja-2 input for TASCAM DR-60D)
Mogami silver series 3ft XLR-M to XLR-F cable (Rode NTG-3 to TASCAM DR-60D)

Misc.
===
Canon LP-E6 battery x 3 nos.
Atomos ATOMBAT001 battery
Lots of AA & AAA batteries (Flash, Remotes etc.)
Excellent tool box that is now getting converted to kit box to store all my gear

Wish list:
Zeiss or Canon EF 50MM F/1.4
Canon EF 24-70mm L F/2.8 - I'm also hearing that 24-105 L F/4 is better choice for full frame, need to check.
Glidecam hd 4000 steadycam with stabilizer vest
Sennheiser EW100 / SK100 Wireless Microphone Sender/Receiver - Suggest me what frequencies are accepted in India and any particular model to look.
Few 2.5" HDD with 7500 RPM for regular not so moving shots (capacity will vary)
Microphone Blimp, Boom & XLR cable
Lavalier Microphone (secondary)
Glidecam Camcrane (will be taken on rental for the shooting day)
Few LED video lights with filters
4x4 mattbox ND-2, 6 & 8 and polarizer filter
LanParte V-Mount BP Power Supply Adapter + LPT 14.8V 10.1Ah 150Wh Li-ion Battery
Old 2nd February 2014, 23:55   #114
Senior - BHPian

Here is the complete kit picture, yes most of the wishlist from above is fulfilled as well.

DSLR Video Discussion-img_1152_lzn.jpg
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:03   #115
BHPian

Just the kind of thread I was hoping I would stumble across. I need some advice. Considering how much DSLR video technology has advanced espeically now that quite a few top ends being used as second cams for movies and even as primary for music videos, I am looking to buy a decent budget DSLR with decent but robust video shooting capabilities.

I am looking to do some product reviews with the DSLR. Indoor closeup shooting. Since it will involve upclose shooting, quick AF is important. I would need atleast a robust 1080p 30FPS. I wouldn't mind even if it can do 60FPS It would go a long way if it can offer a mic input.

Also, I need some help in getting some budget light screens. Where I can get them and what I can expect in terms of pricing.

As a rule of thumb, I am looking for a DSLR that can offer the best bang for the buck. Not necessarily cheap ones but the cheapest robust one ofcourse!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cyrus_the_virus : 3rd February 2014 at 11:05.
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:57   #116
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If you want video quality ,the D5300 is a good option in DSLR.But do note ,it has a rather slow AF in video and you can only use its rear LCD for live view.
If you have the budget ,then you can look at mirrorless cameras which can do fast silent AF and have a EVF like the panasonic GH3/GH2 or a cheaper solution like the NEX 5n/5r/5t with EVF but it want match the video sharpness of the Gh3/GH2.

Also worth looking is the Sony RX10 which although not a ILC camera its weather sealed ,magnesium alloy body camera with a Fixed 24-200mm f2.8 zeiss lens.It also does full pixel readout so chances of seeing rolling shutter related drawbacks of DSLR are nil.
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:02   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
I am looking to do some product reviews with the DSLR. Indoor closeup shooting. Since it will involve upclose shooting, quick AF is important. I would need atleast a robust 1080p 30FPS. I wouldn't mind even if it can do 60FPS It would go a long way if it can offer a mic input.

Also, I need some help in getting some budget light screens. Where I can get them and what I can expect in terms of pricing.

Thanks in advance.
So far on the DSLR front, Canon 5D MarkIII is the ultimate camera unless you are looking for Mirrorless options and low light shooting is not your game.

Next to the full frame options I believe canon 70D stands top of the line in budget models if you are looking for faster AF but the downside it supports only 7fps.

Other moderate option would be settling for 7D that goes up to 29.x fps and close to your expectation. Both 7D and 70D are 19AF points system so relatively better performance for video shooting.

Since you have mentioned it indoor production and controlled shooting environment you can take Canon 50mm f/1.4 and Rokinon Cine 35mm T/1.5 (manual focus) in a small budget to shoot great videos. If your shooting involves wider angle shots checkout other cine lens range from Rokinon if budget is constraints otherwise go for the huge canon lineup of lenses (L is preferred if you are looking for photo and video purposes, just for video L lenses may not be required as the motion in video will anyway override your image sharpness requirements)

I'm not very attracted to the inbuild microphone of 5D MKIII itself, so the only option would be considering a external shotgun mic if pointed polarity or a stereo microphone for ambient noise. You will be also requiring a field recorder like juicedlink or tascam DR60D for recording multiple tracks and headphone monitoring options.

I did quite a lot of investigation and checked with pro shooters before dcreating my rig for a upcoming documentary production and settled with Canon 5D MKII and GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition(plus 2 other Canon 5D MKIII on rental basis)

Here are some ballpark figures for price tag from US(Please consider India grey market or dealer price with tax for actual pricing of your need):

1. Canon 5D MKIII - $3000
2. Canon 7D - $1500
3. Canon 70D - $1200
4. Juicedlink - $300-$400
5. Tascam DR60-D - $300-350
6. Rode videomic pro -$220 (Camera mounted)
7. Rode stero video mic pro - $300 (Camera mounted)
8. Rode NTG-3 shotgun (requires phantom power and pointed polarity) - $600
9. Canon 50mm f/1.4 - $350
10. Rokinon 35mm T/1.5 - $400

Since your are talking about music video, I believe you will have a rerecording of your audio in the post production and if you only opted to use the in build mic for reference, you can ignore the mic and field recorders.

Anish George from Kerala got good deals on the photography products and you can search him in facebook and interact with him for better pricing.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by trammway : 3rd February 2014 at 23:06.
Old 4th February 2014, 00:16   #118
Team-BHP Support

Only cameras with on chip phase detection can do decent video AF. I think Canon 70D has it.
Old 4th February 2014, 00:32   #119
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Video cameras for ages have been using CDAF and still focus better then any On Sensor PDAF.

Sony SLT also do full time PDAF in videos.
Old 13th February 2014, 20:33   #120
BHPian

I'm overwhelmed by the responses here. Some of them are definite bouncers but I truly appreciate you all pitching in.

During my research, I came across the entry level Sony A58. What are your thoughts on this camera. Will this suit my above mentioned requirements. Are there any known problems with this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks