Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 02:52   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
after three pages and 40+ posts facts remains the same.
One should not mix and match charger in case of such sensitive equipment as lappy.

thats the reason they haven't standardized it like desktop smps, all have different battery its memory circuit and hence to prevent this they have different pins at the end.
Actually you still havn't explained your point. And simple fact is if companies standardize the laptop power adapters then they cannot sell them for $100+ to end consumers.

Thanks
Old 31st December 2009, 09:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
after three pages and 40+ posts facts remains the same.
One should not mix and match charger in case of such sensitive equipment as lappy.

thats the reason they haven't standardized it like desktop smps, all have different battery its memory circuit and hence to prevent this they have different pins at the end.
You can hold your views till eternity but that does not make an assumption as a fact.

Laptop makers have not standardized because it is a source of revenue.
just like a mobile phone charger is and till European Union Forced GSMA to standardize the Charger for mobiles to save environment. From 2010 onwards you will see interchangeable chargers for mobiles starting from Europe. I just hope that some strong government body such as EU or US FCC force laptop manufacturers to standardize the pin configurations.

Last edited by amitk26 : 31st December 2009 at 09:12.
Old 31st December 2009, 22:58   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
Actually you still havn't explained your point. And simple fact is if companies standardize the laptop power adapters then they cannot sell them for $100+ to end consumers.

Thanks
actually i don't need to. you can go ahead and use if you have a chance in future. i will never and would not recommend the same to other.

If company orders a new charger from say delta or liteon for their newly designed lappy, they have to pay extra for new research based on parameters of battery, memory chip like L6924D or BQ25012. given by manufacturer. what to use what not to etc etc.

Now if they are so easily interchangeable why do they have to take so much pain.

ALso what you recommended to the thread starter , apart from voltage and current mismatch there are other things that need to be considered.

thats why you should think twice before recomending such things on a public forum
Old 1st January 2010, 14:11   #49
BHPian

Quote:
actually i don't need to. you can go ahead and use if you have a chance in future. i will never and would not recommend the same to other.

If company orders a new charger from say delta or liteon for their newly designed lappy, they have to pay extra for new research based on parameters of battery, memory chip like L6924D or BQ25012. given by manufacturer. what to use what not to etc etc.

Now if they are so easily interchangeable why do they have to take so much pain.

ALso what you recommended to the thread starter , apart from voltage and current mismatch there are other things that need to be considered.

thats why you should think twice before recomending such things on a public forum
Enough mate, there is no point arguing. Like said above, you can choose to assume or face the facts.

Thanks
Old 1st January 2010, 14:42   #50
Team-BHP Support

I diagree. I have been in VLSI field for many years, and electronics are fairley simple in requirement. All they need is X voltage of reasonably pure AC free DC level.
Techically its entirely possible to have same chargers for two devices which require similar voltage).
However, economics governs that companies can make extra money. For example, in canon 7D, the canon battery is very expensive. You can use third party battery, but the proprietary battery level detection won't work.
If somebody tries to reverse engineer that, there is the sword of DMCA.

So companies use such obfuscation to make more money out of chargers and batteries.

However, sometimes, legistlation works in the consumers favor. For example, in korea there was a move to force cell phone companies to standardize charger ports(mini USB). This basically means you don't have to carry 10 different chargers.

That said, the profit margins on Chargers and batteries are like profit margins on printer catriges. Sell the device cheap, and sell the accessories for a killing.
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:31   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I diagree. I have been in VLSI field for many years, and electronics are fairley simple in requirement. All they need is X voltage of reasonably pure AC free DC level.
Quote:
Enough mate, there is no point arguing. Like said above, you can choose to assume or face the facts.

Thanks
Well I am not in any such cool stuff. and yeah no point arguing.
i learned most of the things by blowing stuff, be it laptop or cars. my points is always based on practical approach, that i may have done in past and may have blown things in the process

and yeah! thanks for such a nice electronic digest.
Old 2nd January 2010, 11:33   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Techically its entirely possible to have same chargers for two devices which require similar voltage).
However, economics governs that companies can make extra money. For example, in canon 7D, the canon battery is very expensive. You can use third party battery, but the proprietary battery level detection won't work.
If somebody tries to reverse engineer that, there is the sword of DMCA.

So companies use such obfuscation to make more money out of chargers and batteries.

However, sometimes, legistlation works in the consumers favor. For example, in korea there was a move to force cell phone companies to standardize charger ports(mini USB). This basically means you don't have to carry 10 different chargers.

That said, the profit margins on Chargers and batteries are like profit margins on printer catriges. Sell the device cheap, and sell the accessories for a killing.
Ditto, Camera manufacturers charge well above 100% margins on the small accessories which cost almost nothing to manufacture and then dealers make anywhere between 40% to 100% on the same item. Same goes for other electronics manufacturers.

Quote:
Well I am not in any such cool stuff. and yeah no point arguing.
i learned most of the things by blowing stuff, be it laptop or cars. my points is always based on practical approach, that i may have done in past and may have blown things in the process

and yeah! thanks for such a nice electronic digest.
Well if its practicals we are talking, i did my degree in Applied Sciences with Physics, Mathematics and IT and i worked with computers for a little over 5yrs. So i got a bit of practical experience with computers and Electronics and all i am saying is from experience too.

Cheers
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:06   #53
Team-BHP Support

Practical approach when armed with a multimeter and a load level meter is good. But when you plug X device charger into device Y and blow it, it can be due to wrong voltage being outputted by the charger.
So next time, use a voltmeter, and check the power rating. You will avoid blowing stuff
Old 3rd January 2010, 19:17   #54
Senior - BHPian

^^^
thanks for the advice. I don't have one.
Old 5th January 2010, 10:22   #55
BHPian

Quote:
^^^
thanks for the advice. I don't have one.
Are you sure ???

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1664657-post3.html

Quote:
Does tools count.
1. Three set of eastman.
2. Hitachi drill
3. Skill drill with speed and rev/fwd control. screwdriver bits can be added too
4. Hung chang analog multimeter, Voltcraft electronic MM.
5. Soldtron 15watt soldrering iron.
6. Yking chinese grinder.
7. Desi delhi made electric welding machine.
and the list goes on.
You posted it here.

Cheers

Last edited by it_inspector : 5th January 2010 at 10:31.
Old 5th January 2010, 18:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

yeah i am sure!!

in this particular thread, i am a newbie.
Old 31st August 2010, 17:08   #57
BHPian

I have done this swap of adapters many time and believe me there is nothing to worry about.

- Worry about voltages and if not same, better not +- 5%
- Max current better if same or more than the original one else the battery will charge slow.
- Have you not seen people using nokia chargers + adapters for other cellphones. You know it works as most of phones require 5V to charge and some 3.5 volt to work.
- Do not worry about battery exploding as the battery has its own circuit inside it and it is intelligent. Infact you can charge a laptop battery directly from a 12V adapter bu connecting + to + and - to -.

Problem you may face if you use other adapters.
----------------------------------------------
Some laptops may not work as they would fail to detect the right adapter connected. This is because of fact that adapters have 3 pins and not 2. The third pin is a single wire interface with some bios to identify them. This exists with many battries, hardware, phones etc.

You can give it a try. Make sure of polarity when you replace the connector.
Old 1st September 2010, 19:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevgpc View Post
I have done this swap of adapters many time and believe me there is nothing to worry about.

- Worry about voltages and if not same, better not +- 5%
- Max current better if same or more than the original one else the battery will charge slow.
- Have you not seen people using nokia chargers + adapters for other cellphones. You know it works as most of phones require 5V to charge and some 3.5 volt to work.
- Do not worry about battery exploding as the battery has its own circuit inside it and it is intelligent. Infact you can charge a laptop battery directly from a 12V adapter bu connecting + to + and - to -.

Problem you may face if you use other adapters.
----------------------------------------------
Some laptops may not work as they would fail to detect the right adapter connected. This is because of fact that adapters have 3 pins and not 2. The third pin is a single wire interface with some bios to identify them. This exists with many battries, hardware, phones etc.

You can give it a try. Make sure of polarity when you replace the connector.
sanjeevgpc

Did you solder a new connector to the cable or fabricated an adapter?

By the way, do you know if the controller in a battery can be changed. My Lenovo battery died after one year and it would be nice to resurrect the battery as it was ok till the controller died.
Old 5th September 2010, 11:45   #59
BHPian

Looking for a Car charger for my laptop

Friends,

After reading through the all the above post, I am now more confused & indecisive than ever.

I want to buy a car charger for my laptop - DELL Inspiron 1440. Initially thought of buying a universal charger that is easily available on ebay.in -- eBay India: UNIVERSAL 12V DC TO 8 DIF TYPE PIN CAR CHARGER 4 LAPTOP (item 160475807619 end time 08-Sep-2010 21:44:22 IST). Checked DELL India website as well, for listed accessories, but there is none. There a re few international website selling similar products but am not sure if they ship to India & if the product matches my laptop - Laptop car chargers and adapters for all makes of laptops and notebooks from laptopshop.co.uk

So do not know what to do, what specs to buy & where to buy it from. Any help in this regard will be deeply appreciated.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
Friends,

After reading through the all the above post, I am now more confused & indecisive than ever.

I want to buy a car charger for my laptop - DELL Inspiron 1440. Initially thought of buying a universal charger that is easily available on ebay.in -- eBay India: UNIVERSAL 12V DC TO 8 DIF TYPE PIN CAR CHARGER 4 LAPTOP (item 160475807619 end time 08-Sep-2010 21:44:22 IST). Checked DELL India website as well, for listed accessories, but there is none. There a re few international website selling similar products but am not sure if they ship to India & if the product matches my laptop - Laptop car chargers and adapters for all makes of laptops and notebooks from laptopshop.co.uk

So do not know what to do, what specs to buy & where to buy it from. Any help in this regard will be deeply appreciated.
I did not find anything on the Indian site, but this is there on the US site Adapters : Power: Batteries and More | Dell. Normally you are allowed to import and the duty collected on delivery.

You can also consult the Dell toll free number to get support information - car chargers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks