Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 15:26   #61
BaldOwl

Get this:

eBay India: Belkin AC anywhere +USB port +200W Car Inverter Charger (item 150486952725 end time 06-Sep-2010 16:50:24 IST)

Old 13th September 2010, 15:17   #62
BHPian

@Aroy : I got a connector from another dead adapter and joined the wires. The only problem in such cases is the ID chip whih is used by DEll/IBM and some other brands to identify the charger. If the laptop doesn't find the ID information from the adapter it stops charging the battery. I have tried it in many HP adapters which do not have ID chip. Eacy way to see it will work is check if the adapter wire had 3 wires or 2. If it has 3 wires on the laptop connecter side, most probably it wont work. If it has 2, it shoudl work for sure.

You can change the controller from some other similar battery but many controllers are smart and if the power to controller from battery is interrrupted for few secs, they kill themself. I think thinkpads have this issue. Else it should work.

@forbhaskarm : I think you have a thinkpad, so 99% chances are that this swap will not work. Not worth the time and effort. Like somebody else had also suggested, sell this one and buy another . Or if possible for you, get the ID chip from the broken adapter and connect to the substitute charger along with the plugs of course.

Or if possible, send them to me and probably I can do it for you :-).
Old 1st October 2013, 14:44   #63
BANNED

Re: Using Thinkpad charger with Dell laptop

Reviving an old thread with a different question.

I have a a HTC Phone & a Nexus 7 tablet. Can I use the HTC Charger with the Nexus Tablet or vice versa?
Old 1st October 2013, 15:26   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevgpc View Post
The only problem in such cases is the ID chip whih is used by Dell/IBM and some other brands to identify the charger
IBM branded Thinkpad laptops don't really check for an ID chip. I have a Thinkpad T60 and previously a Thinkpad 600E that could run off a no-name generic charger while at university. You'll also find a page on Instructables on getting a Thinkpad to run on a Dell charger. Lenovo themselves sell a charger with adapter tips that you can use to charge laptops of other brands, including Dell and Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have a a HTC Phone & a Nexus 7 tablet. Can I use the HTC Charger with the Nexus Tablet or vice versa?
If they are both charged by the microUSB port, you can swap chargers. I do that all the time - my Kindle Fire charger powers the Kindle Fire, another tablet, a Sony HX20V camera, a Sony HX200V camera, a Nokia E72, and an MP3 player. It's my Apple devices that require their own chargers - the old style charger, and a newer lightning connector.
Old 1st October 2013, 17:19   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reviving an old thread with a different question.

Sure you can charge with any micro USB charger but older phones had smaller batteries chargers with lesser current rating were used so if you use them on tablets it takes ages to charge.

Example a 3100 mAH battery of Note 2 comes with 2 Amp charger and it should take 1.55 hours to charge fully. With 1 Amp charger of Note 1 it will take 3.1 hours to be fully charged and with 500 mA from a PC USB port or using 500mA charger of a normal phones the time would increase to 6.2 hours.
Old 1st October 2013, 17:36   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

Example a 3100 mAH battery of Note 2 comes with 2 Amp charger and it should take 1.55 hours to charge fully. With 1 Amp charger of Note 1 it will take 3.1 hours to be fully charged and with 500 mA from a PC USB port or using 500mA charger of a normal phones the time would increase to 6.2 hours.
What if you do the reverse - i.e. use the Note 2 charger on your phone - would that be a problem?

i.e. If I want a single charger for both my Nexus 7 tablet & my HTC Desire X phone - can I use the tablet charger for both - without worrying about it blowing up.
Old 2nd October 2013, 09:02   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i.e. If I want a single charger for both my Nexus 7 tablet & my HTC Desire X phone - can I use the tablet charger for both - without worrying about it blowing up.
Use the charger with higher current rating to charge both devices. A charger with higher current rating would not damage a device which has lower current rating. The device will only draw the current it requires, a higher current rating charger will not cause excessive current to flow in the device.

Rohan
Old 2nd October 2013, 10:02   #68
BANNED

tsk1979, in my original question about the laptop charger, you talked about voltages and how that's very relevant. The nexus 7 pamphlet says - "the charging unit's output is DC 5V, 2A". The HTC Phone charger says on the plug - 5V 1A. So I am assuming this should be OK - I don't want to blow up either of these devices.

Ok - so I connected my phone to my tablet charger now. It didn't blow up (yet).

Last edited by carboy : 2nd October 2013 at 10:15.
Old 2nd October 2013, 14:09   #69
Senior - BHPian

The reason for USB chargers is that you should be able to use any charger available at hand. A lower capacity charger will just take longer to charge (which in a way is better as lower charge rate extend the battery life). A higher capacity will rarely charge faster as the charging rate is dependent on the battery AH rating.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks