Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 14:38   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: A problem with my ADSL router

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
I tried eliminating the splitter, and putting the line directly in the modem (no telephone) but it does not work. Internet still stops after a few minutes, we repair it and then works and again stops.
Tried using a different splitter. The same problem :(
Could it be the laptop? I doubt it as the laptop works absolutely fine on Airtel when I get it to office!!
When the internet connection snaps, what is the status of lights on the router? There are typically four lights on any modem:

- Power - shows power status
- LAN - Goes Green when a computer is connected.
- DSL / Link - Shows the status of the physical line - if there's an issue with your line this should go Red / Amber
- Data - blinks when there is data transfer.

A wi-fi router might have another blinking light that displays status of wireless data transfer.

Did you try connecting your PC/Laptop through the physical LAN switch? I had an issue with my laptop disconnecting the wireless connection intermittently.
Old 9th February 2012, 16:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
When the internet connection snaps, what is the status of lights on the router? There are typically four lights on any modem:

- Power - shows power status
- LAN - Goes Green when a computer is connected.
- DSL / Link - Shows the status of the physical line - if there's an issue with your line this should go Red / Amber
- Data - blinks when there is data transfer.

A wi-fi router might have another blinking light that displays status of wireless data transfer.

Did you try connecting your PC/Laptop through the physical LAN switch? I had an issue with my laptop disconnecting the wireless connection intermittently.
Thanks for the reply,

All the lights that you have mentioned remain on. Even while using LAN the problem persists.

The problem with the BSNL technicians (especially the one allocated in our area) is that he comes whenever we complain, he fiddles with the modem/ DP and magically internet works for the next 30-45 mnts whilst he is there. some times it continues for 3-4 hrs also

But again definitely by the next day we are back to square one.

On reading about the government grievance forum here on T-bhp, I even put my problem there. But to no avail.
Old 9th February 2012, 16:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply,

All the lights that you have mentioned remain on. Even while using LAN the problem persists.

The problem with the BSNL technicians (especially the one allocated in our area) is that he comes whenever we complain, he fiddles with the modem/ DP and magically internet works for the next 30-45 mnts whilst he is there. some times it continues for 3-4 hrs also

But again definitely by the next day we are back to square one.

On reading about the government grievance forum here on T-bhp, I even put my problem there. But to no avail.
You can also try to use a different wireless channel. You can use channel 1, 6 or 11. But since you say that the problem exists even with a wired conection then I guess there is something wrong with the modem/router. Can you give us the exact make and model of the modem?
Old 9th February 2012, 16:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
You can also try to use a different wireless channel. You can use channel 1, 6 or 11. But since you say that the problem exists even with a wired conection then I guess there is something wrong with the modem/router. Can you give us the exact make and model of the modem?
Man, I am really sorry for bugging you guys so much. A heartfelt thanks for helping me out here.

The modem says BSNL Broadband AN 1020-21. The technician had said its a chinese make.

We actually got a new modem last week from BSNL. The older modem had the same problem + with it, the PC was not even catching the wi-fi signal apart from the internet problem.

If I remember correctly the channel is on auto. I will go home and set it to 1, 6 or 11 as you have suggested.

So now as I read the situation I think the line is ok, the splitter is ok and the pc is ok. Now that leaves only the modem. Do you think I should try and get a another modem from somewhere and try it with BSNL line??
Old 9th February 2012, 16:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man, I am really sorry for bugging you guys so much. A heartfelt thanks for helping me out here.

The modem says BSNL Broadband AN 1020-21. The technician had said its a chinese make.

We actually got a new modem last week from BSNL. The older modem had the same problem + with it, the PC was not even catching the wi-fi signal apart from the internet problem.

If I remember correctly the channel is on auto. I will go home and set it to 1, 6 or 11 as you have suggested.

So now as I read the situation I think the line is ok, the splitter is ok and the pc is ok. Now that leaves only the modem. Do you think I should try and get a another modem from somewhere and try it with BSNL line??
Chill bro, no need to be sorry. I would recommend that you get a better modem/router of your own and use it. I have been using a DLink DSL2640T and have found it to be a great value for money router with a built in ADSL modem.

Also changing channels will not help in your case as you have the problem when your PC is wired directly to the modem. Also in your modem settings see if you can disable uPnP. Try this and see if it helps.
Old 9th February 2012, 17:08   #36
Team-BHP Support

Deky just go ahead and buy that new modem yourself and install. See if BSNL can take the modem back and refund the deposit money. I wasted quite a few months behind this and had to figure out myself, hence sharing
Old 9th February 2012, 18:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Chill bro, no need to be sorry. I would recommend that you get a better modem/router of your own and use it. I have been using a DLink DSL2640T and have found it to be a great value for money router with a built in ADSL modem.

Also changing channels will not help in your case as you have the problem when your PC is wired directly to the modem. Also in your modem settings see if you can disable uPnP. Try this and see if it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Deky just go ahead and buy that new modem yourself and install. See if BSNL can take the modem back and refund the deposit money. I wasted quite a few months behind this and had to figure out myself, hence sharing
Thanks guys for all the help

I have asked a professional networking guy to visit my place. I have also asked him to carry a spare wi-fi modem/router.

Lets see if it works with another modem then I can procure one of my own.

Luckily BSNL modem is only on rent, so hopefully I can return them and stop being charged.

Regards
Old 15th February 2012, 11:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

An update:- Am using a spare modem for the last 4 days and the internet has not given any problem at all. So I guess the problem was with the modem provided by BSNL.

Thank you guys for all the help and support!!
Old 15th February 2012, 12:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An update:- Am using a spare modem for the last 4 days and the internet has not given any problem at all. So I guess the problem was with the modem provided by BSNL.

Thank you guys for all the help and support!!
Excellent. Good to know that the problem has been identified and sorted.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 13:02   #40
mgh
BHPian

Airtel configures TCPIP to obtain DNS server address automatically.
Instead change DNS servers to Open DNS servers
or to Google Servers

There is a problem with the airtel DNS servers sometimes, which leads to dropping the connection for a short while.
I used to have the problem of intermittent line drop
Shifted to open DNS servers- no problems after that.
I have heard that the above is also very useful with BSNL broadband.

Last edited by mgh : 15th February 2012 at 13:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks