Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 15:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mechanical Gadgets / devices and non-electronic stuff!!!

In this world of digital and electronics, we sought forgot the wonderful creations man ever made.

One thing I hate about electronic equipment is the cables and the dependence on charging the batteries!! To name a few: one cable to charge my cell phone, 4 AA batteries and their charger for my digital camera, my notebook pc and its wires(two-wires combination for the charger, one for the mouse, one for the earphones, one for the usb internet data card, one for the external optical drive too!!), one wire to connect my digital cam to the notebook, blah blah blaahhhh!!

Once in a while to get rid of all those wires especially for the sake of pictures, I prefer my film camera - a lovely 1965 canon canonet QL19!!:
Mechanical Gadgets / devices and non-electronic stuff!!!-ql19.jpg
Though my canonet has a small battery for metering and shutter priority mode, the camera can run even if the battery is removed. Thats what I call as pure camera. It also has a timer(mechanical again!!)

Another gadget I like is the bungee net. Simple one but very useful.
Mechanical Gadgets / devices and non-electronic stuff!!!-bungee-net.jpg
Thats my bungee net on a friend's bike.

Some more mechanical gadgets I would like to acquire:
1. Table clock (hand wound).
2. Bicycle.
3. Wrist watch.(hand wound)
4. Abacus.

PS1: Mechanical things run irrespective of power grid failure or cold temperatures or heck even after exposed to electro-magnetic pulse after a nuclear explosion!!!!

PS2: Please suggest some more mechanical devices / gadgets and share your gadgets / devices which you own or would want to own with pictures where-ever possible!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 4th January 2010 at 15:44.
Old 4th January 2010, 17:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Raj, tyring to keep things simple by going back to the good old days ?

Btw, gadgets are electronic, but mechanical stuff are devices ? And mechanical things may not always run after being exposed to cold temperatures.
Old 4th January 2010, 23:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Does tools count.
1. Three set of eastman.
2. Hitachi drill
3. Skill drill with speed and rev/fwd control. screwdriver bits can be added too
4. Hung chang analog multimeter, Voltcraft electronic MM.
5. Soldtron 15watt soldrering iron.
6. Yking chinese grinder.
7. Desi delhi made electric welding machine.
and the list goes on.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Does tools count.
1. Three set of eastman.
2. Hitachi drill
3. Skill drill with speed and rev/fwd control. screwdriver bits can be added too
4. Hung chang analog multimeter, Voltcraft electronic MM.
5. Soldtron 15watt soldrering iron.
6. Yking chinese grinder.
7. Desi delhi made electric welding machine.
and the list goes on.
oops, I think I have not put down the things properly!!!

I wanted to say gadgets/devices which can be operated by human power!

Some of the gadgets you have mentioned require a power supply or battery!!
Old 7th January 2010, 15:04   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Once in a while to get rid of all those wires especially for the sake of pictures, I prefer my film camera - a lovely 1965 canon canonet QL19!!
I happen to have a QL17 with a 45/1.7
Attached Thumbnails
Mechanical Gadgets / devices and non-electronic stuff!!!-canonet-ql17-451.7.jpg  

Old 8th January 2010, 13:14   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The only pure-mechanical device I have is my watch

On a related note, I wish car manufacturers would focus more on the mechanical side, rather than their increasing electronics dependence. Sure took European car reliability for a complete toss!
Old 8th January 2010, 13:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

In line, i have mechanical Ricoh watch which was gifted by my father 26 years ago when i ranked first in district in scholarship exam in 7th std . Even now, it is working precisely.
Old 8th January 2010, 13:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Does tools count.

and the list goes on.
Hey I have one of these too! Got my wife to buy it for me as a birthday present! Is yours the 550W?

I also bought a set of hole-saws from 2" to about 4" diameter. They're very useful for cutting holes in furniture e.g. used the 2.5" one to cut a hole for a light in a display cabinet.

Only thing I find is that the drill vibrates quite a bit, especially without the handgrip fitted. Previously used to use my dad's Black & Decker (also 550W) and that one was rock steady despite being over 15 years old!
Old 8th January 2010, 14:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The only pure-mechanical device I have is my watch

On a related note, I wish car manufacturers would focus more on the mechanical side, rather than their increasing electronics dependence. Sure took European car reliability for a complete toss!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
In line, i have mechanical Ricoh watch which was gifted by my father 26 years ago when i ranked first in district in scholarship exam in 7th std . Even now, it is working precisely.
Pictures please both of you rushab and ashish!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I happen to have a QL17 with a 45/1.7
Wow! Your camera is excellent condition!!

I too have the leather casing. Its amazing that the guy who sold the QL 19 kept the case so well till date!!
Old 8th January 2010, 17:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Hey I have one of these too! Got my wife to buy it for me as a birthday present! Is yours the 550W?

I also bought a set of hole-saws from 2" to about 4" diameter. They're very useful for cutting holes in furniture e.g. used the 2.5" one to cut a hole for a light in a display cabinet.

Only thing I find is that the drill vibrates quite a bit, especially without the handgrip fitted. Previously used to use my dad's Black & Decker (also 550W) and that one was rock steady despite being over 15 years old!
mine is a 380watt one. one German friend brought it for me.

don't use hammer option except for using on concrete. it will not vibrate.
Old 8th January 2010, 18:27   #11
BHPian

just love those Canon cameras. What excellent condition! reminds me of my old Minolta XD-7, those were the days when photogs were artists!
Old 8th January 2010, 20:51   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
just love those Canon cameras. What excellent condition! reminds me of my old Minolta XD-7, those were the days when photogs were artists!
Well I also had a Minolta Maxxum, a Canon AE-1 Program, a Nikon N80, etc.. but gave these away to relatives that could enjoy them. After all I can only use one camera. The QL17 is something that no relative cared to take so it still lies with me. in LA I have a Hassie 500C/M (Hassie Classic) with 80 and 160 mm lenses. It's used primarily for industrial photography and on every trip back to India I have too much to carry so am forced to leave it behind.
Old 9th January 2010, 11:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
...... The QL17 is something that no relative cared to take so it still lies with me.
I only I had a relative like you, I would have picked it up blindly!!

When I saw the QL19 on ebay, The prime reason to buy it was the f1.9 and later the focal length of 45mm (as rudra sir would say, tad wider than most of the cameras which came with 50mm) and boy! I just fell for its style. Every time I carry it to the photo-walk, the QL19 gets special attention and I become a celebrity !!

Quote:
in LA I have a Hassie 500C/M (Hassie Classic) with 80 and 160 mm lenses. It's used primarily for industrial photography and on every trip back to India I have too much to carry so am forced to leave it behind.
Holy moly!!! how could you?? I would have removed a few pairs of clothes to get that thing back if I was in your position? At least you could have got it back in installments!!!

The hassie 500 c/m had a revolutionary design, just like what they advertised, a system:
Mechanical Gadgets / devices and non-electronic stuff!!!-506486188_d40d06e07a_b.jpg

Source of the pic: wikipedia.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 9th January 2010 at 11:14.
Old 10th January 2010, 20:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actually few manufacturers are looking into Electronic Throttle now. Simple reason small engines with better feul efficiency and timing, since its a Camless design.

But the biggest benefit to car manufacturers that its cheaper to produce thn traditional engines while still providing better efficiency.

Ofcourse in the end even tough manufacturers will end up saving money, they will charge more for Electronic Throttle based engines.

Cheers
Old 11th January 2010, 10:24   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
the focal length of 45mm (as rudra sir would say, tad wider than most of the cameras which came with 50mm) and boy! I just fell for its style. Every time I carry it to the photo-walk, the QL19 gets special attention and I become a celebrity !!

Holy moly!!! how could you?? I would have removed a few pairs of clothes to get that thing back if I was in your position? At least you could have got it back in installments!!!

The hassie 500 c/m had a revolutionary design.
Well 28mm on a 1.6 crop will give you 45mm too and the camera will be much less intrusive.

The only time I care to get noticed for my camera is when I need the public to make way (school sports day for example - I borrow my niece's 70-200/2.8 etc... just so that the audience gives me elbow room thinking I am one of the school's official photographers).

I took the Hassie on a few trips and realised that the crowd that surrounds you and pushes you just to get a look at the camera does not aid in taking a good photograph.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks