Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2013, 10:43   #181
BHPian

Re: Apple's Tablet aka iPad announced! EDIT:New iPad Mini Launched & New iPad Refresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
So inform eBay that I didnt get the shipment?
I suppose that you don't have to inform eBay (probably you can leave a feedback saying that you have not received. I'm not sure how it works, have never been in such a situation). Tell i2c that you will not book it again and want the item as per your earlier booking.
Old 12th March 2013, 10:45   #182
BHPian

Re: Apple's Tablet aka iPad announced! EDIT:New iPad Mini Launched & New iPad Refresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
I suppose that you don't have to inform eBay (probably you can leave a feedback saying that you have not received. I'm not sure how it works, have never been in such a situation). Tell i2c that you will not book it again and want the item as per your earlier booking.
Ok, will inform i2c that I am not in a situation to spend more money for the second order. Let me see what he has to say for it.
Old 12th March 2013, 14:26   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, will inform i2c that I am not in a situation to spend more money for the second order. Let me see what he has to say for it.
Do not buy from the seller till you get the case sorted. Else you might get 2.

eBay is strict with sellers. Thus you should not strike a deal with him.
Old 13th March 2013, 11:11   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Do not buy from the seller till you get the case sorted. Else you might get 2.

eBay is strict with sellers. Thus you should not strike a deal with him.
Ended up claiming a refund with eBay. The enthusiasm with the seller day before was lost yesterday. I waited for him to call, but he never did. When I called he was asking me whether I have ordered in a very low\sad voice. I told a no and also intimated I cant do. Informed him will inform eBay and they would contact him and he can give the reason for the non-shipment. He was full of joy and informed me he is just another courier company and doesn't know rules of eBay. He will write an email to his HO regarding this case too.

All well settled, let me see how long will this refund take to arrive. Fingers crossed.
Old 13th March 2013, 12:48   #185
Senior - BHPian

^ sorry state of affairs. Unprofessional approach on part of the seller. Your -1 will hurt him in long run.

I saw that Amazon has started shipping to India. Try that.

Sorry for your lost time.
Old 13th March 2013, 13:01   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
^ sorry state of affairs. Unprofessional approach on part of the seller. Your -1 will hurt him in long run.

I saw that Amazon has started shipping to India. Try that.

Sorry for your lost time.
Thanks pal. I have tried in Amazon, but whenever I select the items I need and provide my shipping address, getting an error that it cant be shipped to my address. Need to explore. Any other websites I can try for these parts? I need the digitizer+tools+adhesive and the wifi flex cable.

Tried the global store but the items I need doesnt get listed there. If i choose eBay again, any store I select the international reseller is the same seller from whom I had a tought time, i2c.

Last edited by dre@ms : 13th March 2013 at 13:10.
Old 14th March 2013, 01:06   #187
BHPian

Great twist to my episode. i2c manager called me up and informed that DTDC has updated the status of my shipment as DELIVERED in their website, that too on 4th of March.

Immediately I checked and it was true. The manager then informed he is gonna get the details on how this is possible.

I am gonna call up DTDC tomorrow and check with them too.

Is something fishy going on here?
Old 15th March 2013, 21:03   #188
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Great twist to my episode. i2c manager called me up and informed that DTDC has updated the status of my shipment as DELIVERED in their website, that too on 4th of March.
Is something fishy going on here?
They sometimes do so that in order to meet the delivery deadlines. Its a BAD practice. Talk to the manager of the courier company & ask him who signed & you need POD. Or else you would raise a complaint ticket.
Old 15th March 2013, 23:08   #189
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Having resisted the urge for a tablet this long, I am swinging towards an ipad now. I am not sure if the 4th generation tablet has been released yet in India. I am keen on the 10" size, and not the mini.

Any clues on the pricing? I guess I'll settle for the 16 GB one with wi-fi. I'm not sure if I'll need the 3 G version, as it costs more, and also entails another sim card purchase and pre-paid re-charges every month.

And what is this 'retina display'? Is it something to die for, or does it make sense to go for an older-gen ipad?

A friend is visiting from the US in May. Is it worth buying from there?
Old 16th March 2013, 03:24   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys

Having resisted the urge for a tablet this long, I am swinging towards an ipad now. I am not sure if the 4th generation tablet has been released yet in India. I am keen on the 10" size, and not the mini.

Any clues on the pricing? I guess I'll settle for the 16 GB one with wi-fi. I'm not sure if I'll need the 3 G version, as it costs more, and also entails another sim card purchase and pre-paid re-charges every month.

And what is this 'retina display'? Is it something to die for, or does it make sense to go for an older-gen ipad?

Lol you have got to be kiddin me. The 4th gen was released in India quite a few months ago. Infact I am typing from the exact model you are looking at but with 3g, got it in December for about 40K. I suggest you go to one of the imagine stores and see for yourself, if you can make out the difference between retina and non retina, they have both on display to play around with. Price difference between US and India isn't much, at least not worth losing out on warranty for.
Old 16th March 2013, 08:20   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys

I am not sure if the 4th generation tablet has been released yet in India. I am keen on the 10" size.

Any clues on the pricing? I guess I'll settle for the 16 GB one with wi-fi. I'm not sure if I'll need the 3 G version

The 4th generation has been released a while back. The Retina display may not be something to "die for" but as an overall package (faster processor, better display, new connector), the 4th gen is worth the price difference. And having owned the 1st Gen (which conked out), 2nd Gen (still going strong) and the 4th Gen in the family, I can clearly make out both the speed and display resolution differences. BTW, go for the 3G - wifi is not ubiquitous yet, and for some reason (perhaps to do with antenna size), 3G on my iPad works much better than 3G on smart phones.

The iPad comes with an international warranty but as someone mentioned, the price difference is not much - the iPad with cellular is available for Rs. 39,900 here while it costs USD 629 + sales tax in the US - so if you are buying in a zero tax state like Delaware, it would come to Rs. 34,500 while in high tax NYC it would be USD 682 or Rs. 37,500. Difference is worth it in my view if you can buy in a zero tax state - but not in NYC.

Last edited by Hayek : 16th March 2013 at 08:25.
Old 16th March 2013, 10:57   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
They sometimes do so that in order to meet the delivery deadlines. Its a BAD practice. Talk to the manager of the courier company & ask him who signed & you need POD. Or else you would raise a complaint ticket.
Finally got hold of Anandbagh branch manager, he did some checks and confirmed my item is misplaced. Have sent my eBay invoice to him, he will penalise his franchise and return my cash. Fingers crossed.
Old 16th March 2013, 19:02   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
The 4th gen was released in India quite a few months ago. Infact I am typing from the exact model you are looking at but with 3g, got it in December for about 40K. I suggest you go to one of the imagine stores and see for yourself... Price difference between US and India isn't much, at least not worth losing out on warranty for.
Valid point indeed. Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
The 4th generation has been released a while back....
The iPad comes with an international warranty but as someone mentioned, the price difference is not much - the iPad with cellular is available for Rs. 39,900 here while it costs USD 629 + sales tax in the US - so if you are buying in a zero tax state like Delaware, it would come to Rs. 34,500 while in high tax NYC it would be USD 682 or Rs. 37,500. Difference is worth it in my view if you can buy in a zero tax state - but not in NYC.
Thanks a lot. I was chatting with my pal in Texas and he too said the ipad with 3G costs USD 629. But I am not sure if he committed a typo, because he said it was iPad 2 LTE. Isn't the 4th generation called Ipad 4? And assuming LTE is 4G, will it be useful in India?

And as regards your Ipad 1, how long did it last before it conked off?
Old 16th March 2013, 19:21   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

he said it was iPad 2 LTE. Isn't the 4th generation called Ipad 4? And assuming LTE is 4G, will it be useful in India?

And as regards your Ipad 1, how long did it last before it conked off?
The fourth generation is just called the iPad with retina display. But he is clearly wrong on iPad 2 - 16 GB costs a lot less than USD 629. LTE is 4G - no use in India since even the LTE that Bharti has launched in a few places, and Reliance Jio will launch nationally use a different technology which is not used anywhere in the world yet. But the LTE iPad also has 3G built in - for use in India, ensure that he gets you the AT&T version from the US and not the Verizon version since the Verizon version uses a different technology to our networks.
Old 16th March 2013, 21:44   #195
BHPian

My internet speed is 256kbps. Recently I have bought an ipad 4th generation.Somehow the appstore is not opening although I have tried various things.Today I took it to the apple store and voila the app store opened with a glitch. The manager there told me that my net connection must be slow. So I wanted to ask you what is the minimum speed requirement to open app store. Fyi net surfing is ok in my ipad.

Most Viewed