Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:29   #271
BHPian

Re: The iPad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Folks - I need some review on Mini, I just sold of my Asus TF101, best Tab I had for years. I have zeroed upon Ipad Mini for the next buy.

Can anyone tell me the shortcommings? I'm looking for Cellular services pad, so that my folks at home can use with an ease.

Is it a good buy?
If you are of the type - "Want More for less price", then look elsewhere, as the iPad mini is as expensive as tablets get.

We recently got an iPad mini with Retina Display, 32 GB in space gray, with WiFi & 3G for 44.9k.
Considering the fact that it's got a slightly inferior screen than the iPad air, and the whole "expandable memory" concept is not supported by Apple, I'd say that the mini is quite expensive.

BUT, and this is going to come from an Apple/iOS fan, the user experience, comfort, application support, screen clarity, touch screen experience, stellar battery life is IMO, unparalleled. Android/WP8 lovers might tend to disagree, and I don't intend to fight about that. To each his own.

We got this purely from a usability perspective. The wife's office laptop is just too big and bulky to use.
And regular laptops these days are just not worth it anymore. Macbook's cost close to 100,000/- INR these days, and was simply not on the agenda.

Overall, I'd say its an expensive product that caters to pretty much all kinds of needs, as long as you are willing to pay for it .

Here's Anandtech's review of the iPad mini, in case you missed it.
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:41   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Folks - I need some review on Mini, I just sold of my Asus TF101, best Tab I had for years. I have zeroed upon Ipad Mini for the next buy.
I’ve an iPad mini, and in my opinion it’s a great product. I like it better than the regular iPad due to the handy size. The new retina display model should be even better.
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:31   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks - I need some review on Mini, I just sold of my Asus TF101, best Tab I had for years. I have zeroed upon Ipad Mini for the next buy. Can anyone tell me the shortcommings? I'm looking for Cellular services pad, so that my folks at home can use with an ease. Is it a good buy?
Its NOTHING great. IMO The device is Pointlessly expensive and even the Apps are mostly expensive. Mine doesn't have GPS, the Wi-Fi reception is crap (had to install a 2nd router in another room barely 20 meters away) & sound quality is nothing great, btw greedy Apple doesn't even give earphones!

I didn't like the way the new iOS 7's interface was made to look like Android, yet they made the icons look like as if its some cartoon. ONLY thing I liked till date was the Battery consumption, IIRC the iPad was ~30k for a 32gig iPad Mini with wifi only.

I can do SO MUCH more with just my android phone. I then got an Android tablet with MUCH BETTER specs & a faster processor. Android seems MUCH more customisable & user friendly. It also has a large collection of interesting apps for free.

There was some offer going on & I'd bought a "Spice Stellar Mi1010" for just 8-9k with a 10" screen and that gave me 5 hours of battery life with heavy usage. IIRC it had a quad core processor, a 7100mAh battery, ran high resolution videos really well and the sound quality was excellent. It had a USB port & a HDMI port, also a micro SD card slot. Only thing it was abit heavy (~ 650 - 700gms) and it dropped from 10ft once (it survived a few 2ft drops before), & the screen broke, after which I sold it off to the service center fellow since the repairing cost was 5k and I felt the iPad would suffice for time being.

Currently keeping an eye out if I came across any good offers.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 23rd January 2014 at 13:33.
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:58   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Its NOTHING great. IMO The device is Pointlessly expensive and even the Apps are mostly expensive. Mine doesn't have GPS, the Wi-Fi reception is crap (had to install a 2nd router in another room barely 20 meters away) & sound quality is nothing great, btw greedy Apple doesn't even give earphones!
Thanks GrammarNazi: I had a droid and I'm still inclined towards the Asus Ponepad phablet. My usage is only for my folks at home. It needs to be simpler and lighter to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
If you are of the type - "Want More for less price", then look elsewhere, as the iPad mini is as expensive as tablets get.
Excuse me!!! Ipad Mini cellular starts from 27 k so I think its quite affordable.

Wanted the opinion on if its a good buys and thanks for the link, its quite informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I’ve an iPad mini, and in my opinion it’s a great product. I like it better than the regular iPad due to the handy size. The new retina display model should be even better.
Thanks San, I would go in for the regular model. Yeah mainly the handy size is what is pulling me towards it.

Last edited by Twinn : 23rd January 2014 at 14:05.
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:12   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I bought a leather case off eBay for Rs.600/-. Its the same thing that capdase sells. It's held up very well since the last 1 year. EDIT : Just checked, they're now selling at ~300/-
Both are 2 different story altogether, check them out in person, hand in hand, and you will know what I mean, and then you can take a call
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:15   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Folks - I need some review on Mini, I just sold of my Asus TF101, best Tab I had for years. I have zeroed upon Ipad Mini for the next buy. Can anyone tell me the shortcommings? I'm looking for Cellular services pad, so that my folks at home can use with an ease. Is it a good buy?
Strictly my opinion - I don't see an alternate to iPad as yet. I have gone for the base model and am more than happy with it.
Old 24th January 2014, 10:08   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Both are 2 different story altogether, check them out in person, hand in hand, and you will know what I mean, and then you can take a call
Saw a few pics on the internet. IMO I don't find it as "2 different story altogether" from any angle. Slight design change of the same utilities.

Anyway. Mines held up well over the last year, its been good enough to hold up the iPad while watching videos / skype chats & protected from a 4' fall once.

I'd give it a chance, moreso since it now only costs 300 compared to the 2.5k one that capdase sells.
Old 25th January 2014, 16:41   #278
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I gave iPad to my 1 year old and he knows exactly what to do with the device. Magical. My wife's S3 not so as he does not like the interface. Same apps but the response time can make or break an experience.

Similarly, I gave iPad iPod to mother she too liked it over galaxy tab. Again, no bias towards the way materials felt but the way it just works.

I still think until Kitkat comes to the masses iOS is the king for most.

I recommend iPad Air over iPad mini. The experience just is better from what I have observed.

I head mobility division of a enterprise solution company and can talk about various products for many UX UI tweaks but have to admit iOS is better right now. Complex closed but better.
Old 26th February 2014, 15:06   #279
Team-BHP Support

I hope Apple will finally take security seriously...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ap...pert-1.2549294

http://gizmodo.com/why-apples-huge-s...ary-1529041062

Last edited by Samurai : 26th February 2014 at 15:07.
Old 4th March 2014, 19:59   #280
BHPian

Finally, the much awaited Apple car play is official now. Here's the Volvo's demonstration of Carplay integration in XC90.
Old 14th April 2014, 22:30   #281
BHPian

Has anyone in possession of an ipad4 recently upgraded to ios 7.1? I have done so and have found the occasional lag. It isn't as smooth any longer as it was with ios 6.1.3.

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 15th April 2014, 00:18   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
Has anyone in possession of an ipad4 recently upgraded to ios 7.1? I have done so and have found the occasional lag. It isn't as smooth any longer as it was with ios 6.1.3.

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP

Sure, I am using the old mini upgraded to the latest, since this is recently bought and I upgraded straightaway so did get the opportunity to try the previous os version and compare
Old 29th April 2014, 04:26   #283
Senior - BHPian

My iPad Air now runs iOS 7.1.1, got updated a week back.
Old 20th June 2014, 11:08   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently bought an iPad air and am absolutely new to this apple experience. How do I attach a file in yahoo mail on the iPad? Unable to find a link for the same.
Old 20th June 2014, 13:32   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
... How do I attach a file in yahoo mail on the iPad? ...
You don't. You have to email the file - the interface is at the file, not in the email. On iOS, there is nothing called 'a file' (that is a desktop concept) - it is identified with an application that stores it as data.

For example, if you want to send out a pic, you have to fire up Photos, get to the pic you want to send out (you can select more than one pic), and touch the 'arrow coming out of box' button that appears on the bottom left. If you select email as the method, iOS brings up Mail which starts an email with the pic(s) as attachment.

Most Viewed