Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2014, 11:00   #316
BHPian

Re: The iPad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
Is it possible to connect a USB Pen drive to an Ipad Mini and watch movies, the non retina version? If yes, could someone point me how to do it? This ipad is completely stock and got it as a gift back in the states. I checked Youtube and also Google it, but did not find suitable responses. TYA
You don't need to connect a USB drive to the iPad. Fire up your Wifi router and connect a computer which has the movies and other files. I use FileExplorer to connect to my Network File server and download/upload 'data' as needed. This app allows you to view most files including videos streaming in so you don't need to store them in iPad itself.
Old 25th November 2014, 11:41   #317
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You don't need to connect a USB drive to the iPad. Fire up your Wifi router and connect a computer which has the movies and other files. I use FileExplorer to connect to my Network File server and download/upload 'data' as needed. This app allows you to view most files including videos streaming in so you don't need to store them in iPad itself.
The reason why I said pendrive was due to the fact that I was looking at playing movies for the kid/wife when we are out traveling. At home, the Ipad usage is restricted to an hour ever alternate days and hence not an issue. But while travelling, to keep the kid occupied for a while when he is bored is the main intention.
Old 26th November 2014, 19:04   #318
BHPian

Pre Order Product Release Date: 6th Week Of November

You can Pre Order iPad Air 2 on SNAPDEAL and it'll be delivered in the 6th Week of November.

I was unable to attach the Screen Shot, therefore, I've copied only 1 line.

I wonder - How many Weeks are there in a month for SNAPDEAL ?????
Old 8th December 2014, 12:28   #319
BANNED

Is there a easy way to transfer songs from one Ipad to another Ipad or via Windows/itunes
Old 17th December 2014, 23:27   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Bought an iPad mini 2 from Dubai after waiting for one to be available here for months now. The only disappointing thing was that after switching it on here, I realized that face time doesn't work on UAE Apple products. Any way to install the same on my iPad? Also what cover are you guys using? I am not interested in spending 3k for just a cover.
Old 18th December 2014, 11:27   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Bought an iPad mini 2 from Dubai after waiting for one to be available here for months now. The only disappointing thing was that after switching it on here, I realized that face time doesn't work on UAE Apple products. Any way to install the same on my iPad? Also what cover are you guys using? I am not interested in spending 3k for just a cover.
I use a Capdase flip cover. Its got a nice feel to it and looks premium. It fits really well. The only problem is the rubber stands have come off after 3 months of usage. I bought it from E-Zone. Price: 2100/-

P.S: What is price difference between a UAE and India IPad?

Last edited by Pancham : 18th December 2014 at 11:31.
Old 18th December 2014, 13:19   #322
BHPian

Quote:
The only disappointing thing was that after switching it on here, I realized that face time doesn't work on UAE Apple products. Any way to install the same on my iPad?
AFAIK, the facetime lock (on UAE idevices) is hardware based and its not possible to enable the same.

EDIT: Seems there is conflicting info floating on the web about this - some say its carrier blocked and some claim it to be a hardware restriction...

Last edited by Puneet.S : 18th December 2014 at 13:27.
Old 18th December 2014, 15:18   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I use a Capdase flip cover. Its got a nice feel to it and looks premium. It fits really well. The only problem is the rubber stands have come off after 3 months of usage. I bought it from E-Zone. Price: 2100/-

P.S: What is price difference between a UAE and India IPad?
The price difference is not much. Hardly a couple of thousand. But the main reason for buying from there was the unavailability of the mini 2 in India from last 2 months and no clear information on its next stock arrival. Many stores were only interested in pushing the costlier mini 3 which is totally identical to the mini 2.

I saw a few cases on e bay listed for around 600 to 1k. How durable will these be?
Old 18th December 2014, 17:33   #324
Senior - BHPian

I have an iPad 3. For the past few days, the home button is not working consistently. Sometimes only double press works, Siri opens up, but home screen requires multiple tries. Tactile feel of button is good. I'm on the latest firmware. I thought 8.1.2 will rectify the issue, but it persists. Even a hard reset did not help. What can I do?
Old 18th December 2014, 17:37   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The price difference is not much. Hardly a couple of thousand. But the main reason for buying from there was the unavailability of the mini 2 in India from last 2 months and no clear information on its next stock arrival. Many stores were only interested in pushing the costlier mini 3 which is totally identical to the mini 2.

I saw a few cases on e bay listed for around 600 to 1k. How durable will these be?
Usually I stay away from Ebay(or any other online seller) cases. I find it very risky since I dont get a feel of the case, material used or how well it fits. I would rather get the case from a brick and mortar shop by paying a little more.

Also, past experience(not very positive) of some of my friends has also made me wary about purchasing cases online.
Old 26th December 2014, 12:13   #326
Senior - BHPian

I want to buy an iPad for my mother with basic purpose of her using whatsapp, viewing family photos & videos and watching videos on youtube.

Since I am new to the iWorld, I am not sure which particular model will suit her need well. There are numerous iPad variants on flipkart ranging from 15k to 60k and I am not able to figure out which one is current gen iPad or its predecessor.

Also couple of queries like Do iPads have external memory options? Is there any real difference between iPad mini and regular iPad size? How is the battery life of the iPad? I mean how long one can watch videos on it along with other things? What all other uses can an iPad put to?

Pardon my ignorance considering me totally new to apple products.

Any specific guidance, tips regarding the models including alternatives to iPad etc will be highly appreciated.
Old 26th December 2014, 12:34   #327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I have an iPad 3. For the past few days, the home button is not working consistently. Sometimes only double press works, Siri opens up, but home screen requires multiple tries. Tactile feel of button is good. I'm on the latest firmware. I thought 8.1.2 will rectify the issue, but it persists. Even a hard reset did not help. What can I do?
Looks like a hardware related issue. Does it have warranty/extended warranty? Approach the Apple Store and request their help. If it has warranty, in all probability they would happily swap the piece for you.
Old 26th December 2014, 14:29   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I want to buy an iPad for my mother with basic purpose of her using whatsapp
If whatsapp is required, iPad is not an option.

https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/what...310633997?mt=8

Quote:
NOTE: WhatsApp is a telephony application and as such iPod or iPad are NOT supported devices.
Otherwise, iPad Air 2 16 GB (WiFi only, cost 35k + 2k for accessories) is quite good. I bought one for my dad and it is working quite well.

Positives:
1. No need for passwords for non-sensitive things, fingerprint scanner actually works.
2. Battery life of 2 - 3 days with lots of youtube + facebook. Youtube playback of 8 - 10 hours on single charge
Old 26th December 2014, 18:58   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Since I am new to the iWorld, I am not sure which particular model will suit her need well. There are numerous iPad variants on flipkart ranging from 15k to 60k and I am not able to figure out which one is current gen iPad or its predecessor.
iPad Air 2 is the latest gen version, you could also look at the iPad Air 1 if you want to save some money as there is not a massive difference between the two.

Quote:
Also couple of queries like Do iPads have external memory options?
No. So choose the capacity wisely.

Quote:
Is there any real difference between iPad mini and regular iPad size?
iPad mini as the name suggests has a smaller screen compared to the iPad Air.
There is no difference in the hardware specs of the iPad Air 1 and iPad mini 2. But the iPad Air 2 has better specs and a fingerprint sensor.

Quote:
How is the battery life of the iPad? I mean how long one can watch videos on it along with other things? What all other uses can an iPad put to?
It has pretty good battery life. It would last a couple of days with regular usage. If you intend to watch continuous video then it may last 6-7 hours.
You could use it as an ebook reader, media streamer etc etc. If there is an app for it, then you can use it on the iPad.

I'd suggest going for the Wi-Fi version if it's going to be used mainly at home. Be prepared for a lot of lockdown. Many things have to be worked around by using some sort of app, which would have been child's play on Android devices.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by Marauder : 26th December 2014 at 19:00.
Old 26th December 2014, 19:13   #330
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Only one thing to be reconfirm - will whatsapp really not work in ipad as told by NFB? Or is there some other way around?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks