Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2018, 14:03   #391
BANNED

Re: The iPad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Can a present ipad user comment whether he/she felt the need for 4G connectivity, or is the wi-fi connection enough?
I have been using iPad for past for past 6 years, both cellular and wifi only models, never had to use a SIM for net connectivity! I’m sure being in Pune you will never need one, JIO Wifi would suffice. After that first cellular purchase the current iPad’s are wifi only models. I feel cellular model is an unnecessary add on.
Old 10th February 2018, 21:50   #392
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the timely replies Bought an ipad for 24600 from reliance digital. Bill mentions this 10k cashback. Stock fast running out!
Old 15th February 2018, 14:01   #393
BHPian

Bought an I pad for Rs.22990 from Bajaj Electronics with Rs.10000 Cashback from HDFC , Nett price Rs.12990 . There was huge rush for Ipad and many of them were purchasing 3-4 pcs .

Overall very good deal and mine is imported in Dec'17 .
Old 18th February 2018, 00:47   #394
BHPian

I am a dedicated iPad user since year 2012. For me purpose of iPad is pure entertainment. I currently own a iPad 3 which is almost redundant due to its slow performance and lack of iOS support since last 2 years now. iOS 9 is the last support my device received from apple.

That said i am eyeing iPad Pro 9.7 inches which is too expensive. Is it worth the money when for me iPad is only for pure entertainment value like watching movies, gaming browsing etc. without compromising on performance (especially speed). Is iPad air a better bet? Need your help guys!
Old 19th February 2018, 14:39   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
I am a dedicated iPad user since year 2012. For me purpose of iPad is pure entertainment. I currently own a iPad 3 which is almost redundant due to its slow performance and lack of iOS support since last 2 years now. iOS 9 is the last support my device received from apple.

That said i am eyeing iPad Pro 9.7 inches which is too expensive. Is it worth the money when for me iPad is only for pure entertainment value like watching movies, gaming browsing etc. without compromising on performance (especially speed). Is iPad air a better bet? Need your help guys!
As far as I know, there is no iPad Air line anymore. The Pro line packs the best hardware and features and costs a lot more than the iPad 2017. For your usage, I think the iPad 2017 is more than enough. Although the screen is not as great as the Pro, it still offers more than enough value for the price.

There were some great offers last week where the effective price was in the range of 12500 to 18000 rupees depending on where you bought it from. It was an incredible buy at that price. I bought one last week at around 16200 as most of the stores had exhausted their stock.
However, there might be a new iPad this year along the same lines offering a better display so might want to wait for that.
Old 19th February 2018, 16:47   #396
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestion for a good case for ipad?

I use iPad in potrait view, and most cases offer stand in landscape view. I tried the rotating case, but the support grooves dig into the ipad display and leave vertical marks!

I found a case called Fintie tuatara which is rugged and has a rotating stand, but its shipped cost to India is around 3k, twice of that in US! I would appreciate if anyone has any suggestion on a good case. Preference is for strength and a kickstand.
Old 19th February 2018, 17:32   #397
BHPian

Quote:
...iPad 3...
...watching movies...
iPad is the best tablet out there. I still use an iPad 3. It does most stuff I want...

But...

If watching movies is an important use case, you would be better off with a tablet with a wide aspect ratio. Watching a movie in an iPad is like watching on a 21" CRT. A 2.35:1 movie would appear as a ribbon on the 4:3 screen.
Old 19th February 2018, 23:32   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
iPad is the best tablet out there. I still use an iPad 3. It does most stuff I want...
Glad to know about it. For me opening a simple app like facebook or native photo app on iPad 3 takes forever. You are fortunate i must admit

Obviously iPad 3 was launched during March 2012 in India and i was one of early bird to grab it (128 GB wifi + cellular). if you are able to pull juice out of this almost 6 year old device it's an achievement for sure
Old 19th February 2018, 23:49   #399
Senior - BHPian

I think your battery may be acting up. It leads to performance deterioration in apple devices.

I bought a Targus 3d case for my ipod. An elegant magnetic case which provides a good protection. The sound casing improves the volume of the ipad by a notable margin. Costed me 2k at croma.
Old 20th February 2018, 12:28   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Glad to know about it. For me opening a simple app like facebook or native photo app on iPad 3 takes forever. You are fortunate i must admit

Obviously iPad 3 was launched during March 2012 in India and i was one of early bird to grab it (128 GB wifi + cellular). if you are able to pull juice out of this almost 6 year old device it's an achievement for sure
Maybe it depends on what you run on it. I just make do with Chrome and occasional Youtube and Prime Video. RAM hogs like Facebook are on the phone. With larger phones the iPad has become redundant, and that is a reason why despite its dying battery I am not upgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I think your battery may be acting up. It leads to performance deterioration in apple devices.
Not with iOS 9 I think.
Old 20th February 2018, 21:59   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Not with iOS 9 I think.
I believe thats the best part about iOS 9 and older generation iPad like ours. battery lasts longer even now than expected especially so when i compare it with my iPhone 6 plus running on iOS 11. As our fellow TBHPian NiXTriX2004 suggested here best bet for me is to wait for new iPad to launch this year and eye for an iPad Pro so that i can use this for another 4-5 years at least the way i used iPad 3
Old 21st February 2018, 13:02   #402
BHPian

After the Feb 14 offers, iPad is out of stock at most places but fortunately got hold of a recent batch of 2017 iPad in Gold color. Expected delivery today from the warehouse.
Hole to the pocket - 27900 - 5% discount - 3.5k GV = 23100 with 5k cashback and no cost EMI

Hope the Apple case the magnetic one holds good for this model too.

If anyone looking to purchase this specific case, please head out Reliance Digital Ormes road branch, they are selling it for Rs.199. Only 2 available in Grey shade.
Old 25th April 2018, 14:22   #403
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone updated Ipad 2017 9.7inch to latest OS 11? My ipad has tried sneaking update every now and then, and even downloaded the updated. Now it is tricking me to try and update the current OS 10.3.3 to new one.

I am reluctant because the wifi switch is now hidden in settings, and iOs 11's quick wifi no longer disables wifi/bluetooth, it only toggles it.

I heard that updates may slow ipads. Curious to know if anyone using 2017 ipad has any experience with the new update.
Old 27th April 2018, 15:49   #404
Senior - BHPian

I finally took plunge and updated ipad 2017 to iOs 11.3. Everything works smooth! Good to see that keyboard finally has twin keys. Recommended update!

Also, Apple released a new version 6th Gen ipad 2018 at similar MRP of 28000, it has newer A10 processor and support for Apple Pencil.
Old 4th May 2018, 18:54   #405
BHPian

Has anyone got the refund that was promised during the Feb promo (valentines 10,000 cashback on HDFC in 90 days) ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks