Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2020, 15:58   #511
BHPian

Re: The iPad Thread

Oh yes. Mistook the online store opening next month to the physical store opening from this piece of news.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/08/25...re-next-month/
Quote:
Apple Inc. is poised to open an online store for the first time in the fast-growing smartphone market of India next month, according to a person with knowledge of the matter, taking advantage of a relaxation of once-strict prohibitions against foreign direct retail.
The online store will be ready for operations just ahead of the festive Dussehra-Diwali spending season, according to the person, who asked not to be named discussing confidential plans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I am looking at purchasing a MacBook Pro, does it make sense to wait for the launch of the online store? Will Apple give out any extra discounts/freebies to commemorate the launch?
If it helps, Maple has been bombarding me with HDFC cashback of Rs 7000 on purchase of MB Pro.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 31st August 2020 at 16:04.
Old 31st August 2020, 16:11   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
This could be the reason for jamming the supply to all re-sellers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
jamming supply may be related to online store which opens next month (as per rumors).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
they keep saying it will be available in a few days, since the last 20-25 days
This is a global issue, not related to Apple India. US channels have also run out of stock.

E.g. : Go to Apple US / Canada or similar sites, select flagships stores for pick up such as LA, NYC, London. It shows popular products out of stock. Only product in stock are 1 TB and similar (not popular due to price, color and such).

E.g.: Apple's flagship store in NYC :

The iPad Thread-ipad_availability_usa_nyc.png
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 11:58   #513
BANNED

My 5 year old iPad mini 3 fell from my son' hand and got its screen crumbled on one corner along with a dented case. Thankfully, the display is working perfectly as the damaged part is limited to the thick bezel area. It's kind of workable now with a screen guard.

I had a guess, getting it repaired (glass and case?) at Apple ASC would cost me a new iPad. Although 5 years old, it is still extremely capable for its intended use (mostly by my son for his educational purpose).

Any suggestion on any 3rd party quality service provider out of Pune? I haven't contacted the ASC yet, assuming that would be fruitless.
Old 18th September 2020, 15:43   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Any suggestion on any 3rd party quality service provider out of Pune? I haven't contacted the ASC yet, assuming that would be fruitless.
There is a small shop in Aundh extremely close to the official reseller shop in Parihar chowk. I got my old iphone 6 repaired couple of years ago through them at a fraction of price quoted by Apple. Guy in the shop looked knowledgeable enough. Check if this helps. Don't have the contact details, unfortunately.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 14:32   #515
BHPian

Hey guys,

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am on the lookout for an iPad for writing notes during my online classes. I wanted to get the iPad Pro 12.9 inch 256 GB, but I am sceptical because of the bending issues, and now, apple has announced the Air 4. I am confused between the iPad Pro 12.9 inch, iPad Pro 11 inch and the iPad Air 4. What should i get?

Thanks

Abie

Last edited by Aditya : 20th September 2020 at 19:07. Reason: Capitalising first letter of each sentence. Please take care of this aspect for bettter readability. Thanks.
Old 20th September 2020, 17:43   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A D over CARS View Post
I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am on the lookout for an iPad for writing notes during my online classes. I wanted to get the iPad Pro 12.9 inch 256 GB, but I am sceptical because of the bending issues, and now, apple has announced the Air 4. I am confused between the iPad Pro 12.9 inch, iPad Pro 11 inch and the iPad Air 4. What should i get?

The question is very subjective and depends on what you wish to do with your device. With the new iPad Air 4, Apple has brought it more close to the Pro. Like it is compatible with magic keyboard, has USB C so more connectivity options with accessories and such.
Looking at Apple India page, the base models of iPad Air 4 and Pro are priced at 55K and 72K respectively. I know you want the higher capacity model but their prices of 256GB will increase proportionately.
So now you need to see if the additional 17K for the Pro over the Air is worth for the additional features you get with the Pro? The pro does start with 128GB though. But the next model in both cases is 256GB.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th September 2020 at 19:06. Reason: Quoted text edited
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 21:07   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A D over CARS View Post
The 12.9-inch iPad Pro is a serious overkill for writing notes. The entry-level iPad would work perfectly well for that, as well as for browsing the web and streaming media, if that is how you intend on using it. If you'd like a more capable iPad then the just announced iPad Air is a brilliant machine and is even more advanced than the Pros in some instances. The bending issue that you mention seems to be limited to the 2018 iPad Pro models (which have since been replaced by the 2020 iPad Pro models) and, even then, isn't a big deal. I wouldn't get a 2018 iPad Pro today, but not for this reason.

I recommend you get the 128GB entry-level iPad (2020) if you want a very capable, value for money device that will last you for a long time. If you don't mind spending more money and would like a nicer, much more powerful iPad with the latest processor, significantly better cameras, and almost all the bells and whistles of the Pros then get the 256GB iPad Air (2020). I am not recommending the base storage versions of either iPad as I don't think they offer sufficient space. If I were you I wouldn't spend extra for the Cellular models either as you can always use hotspot from your phone in case you need Internet on the go.

Either ways, wait till September 23 as Apple is launching their online store in India on that day. If the pricing is in line with other retailers then it would be much better to buy directly from them. They might even have some nice launch day deals.

Last edited by Anjadekar : 20th September 2020 at 21:08.
Anjadekar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 12:04   #518
BHPian

Was trying to get my hands on the entry level iPad 8th Gen but stocks are scarce for the 128 GB Wi-Fi only variant (Space Grey). Finally got the iPad Air 3rd Gen at a discount . Pretty happy with the decision to go for the Air. Its got a better, slightly bigger and laminated screen with truetone and better cameras overall. Hate that lightning port though.

Last edited by Laxman9192 : 4th October 2020 at 12:06.
Old 19th October 2020, 15:50   #519
BHPian

Folks, need suggestions. Thinking of getting the latest iPad Air 4 64GB. Was wondering is the Apple Pencil useful?
Getting this instead of spending additional 15k on 256GB model.
Old 19th October 2020, 17:33   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Folks, need suggestions. Thinking of getting the latest iPad Air 4 64GB. Was wondering is the Apple Pencil useful?
64gb for iPad is more than enough unless you plan to download hell lot of media for offline consumption because as opposed to phones, no space is taken up by whatsapp and photo gallery. Now for the second part - Pencil is useful only if you are into note taking or have a habit of writing or are super creative (Drawing, shading and stuff) otherwise it is of no use and doesn't feels natural to be used with iPad for other tasks. So my suggestion would be to save your money. Also unless the screen size or form factor is your key parameter for buying the air, normal iPad will also work out fine for other tasks.
It is much like the latest Mac Pro Desktop, if you have to ask its usefuleness, you will not be needing it in all probability. My personal suggestion is - Unless there is a specific use case in mind, it is always better to invest in an ultrabook than an iPad.

PS: I am an owner of 3rd gen iPad (now disposed) and 2nd gen iPad Pro with pencil. and for all my use case I wouldn't have needed anything more than an iPad mini or normal iPad.
roamer012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 19:12   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
64gb for iPad is more than enough unless you plan to download hell lot of media for offline consumption because as opposed to phones, no space is taken up by whatsapp and photo gallery. Now for the second part - Pencil is useful only if you are into note taking or have a habit of writing or are super creative (Drawing, shading and stuff) otherwise it is of no use and doesn't feels natural to be used with iPad for other tasks. So my suggestion would be to save your money. Also unless the screen size or form factor is your key parameter for buying the air, normal iPad will also work out fine for other tasks.
It is much like the latest Mac Pro Desktop, if you have to ask its usefuleness, you will not be needing it in all probability. My personal suggestion is - Unless there is a specific use case in mind, it is always better to invest in an ultrabook than an iPad.

PS: I am an owner of 3rd gen iPad (now disposed) and 2nd gen iPad Pro with pencil. and for all my use case I wouldn't have needed anything more than an iPad mini or normal iPad.

This is nice advice. Our minds always want the higher versions even when sometimes we don't need. I sometimes see people using iPad to sketch and all and my wife is good artist (sort of). I sometimes feel iPad air would be nice with pencil but then I also get second thoughts that after initial novelty, I don't think the pencil may be used or I will be forced to find uses to justify uses. I was planning to buy iPad 8th Gen but only if there was some design change but now when I saw there is none, I dropped the plan and sometimes I feel, I don't even need the iPad.
Old 19th October 2020, 21:58   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
This is nice advice. Our minds always want the higher versions even when sometimes we don't need. I sometimes see people using iPad to sketch and all and my wife is good artist (sort of). I sometimes feel iPad air would be nice with pencil but then I also get second thoughts that after initial novelty, I don't think the pencil may be used or I will be forced to find uses to justify uses. I was planning to buy iPad 8th Gen but only if there was some design change but now when I saw there is none, I dropped the plan and sometimes I feel, I don't even need the iPad.

Do yourself a favour. Do not watch any Youtube videos where apple fans go crazy over anything that is apple especially the iphones and ipads. No doubt, The devices are great but it will be a waste of money if they are not used regularly and to their full potential. Simply, treat ipads or big screen tablets as convenience devices when it comes to browsing or streaming the content. You could go for ipad 7th gen costing 25900 and works with cheaper version of 1st gen pencil. If you have citibank credit or debit card then Reliance digital has cashback offer of 3k , so a very capable ipad you could get it for 23000 and could last minimum 3-4 years. You can even buy a cheaper pencil from amazon if you want to scribble now and then. Also, run away when someone utters "apple echosystem" its nothing but a money blackhole 😀
hondafanboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 00:10   #523
BHPian

Quote:
It all depends on what your use case is. For example, someone who wants to occasionally browse the web and stream shows needs a very different machine from a professional graphic designer or someone who is on the road a lot and intends to use the iPad much more intensively.

I do think that anything under 128GB is just not enough space to use the device freely. Is there a reason you are inclined towards the Air instead of the regular iPad? How do you intend to use your iPad?
Anjadekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 09:27   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Do yourself a favour. Do not watch any Youtube videos where apple fans go crazy over anything that is apple especially the iphones and ipads.
So i take it that I should not be taking advise on Honda products from you. Apologies in advance, couldn't resist this.
Old 20th October 2020, 10:46   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not to confuse you any further but it depends on your usage. I bought the iPad Pro 2017 and a Pencil on July 1, 2018. I have used the iPad and the Pencil every single day since (well almost). I take notes on it. Simple. Previously, I had to carry note books and I would lose them. Or I needed older data from 1-2 years back and would not know how to find the old notebooks. Or I would be travelling and not have access to notes from 1-2 year back. All these issues vanished with the iPad-pencil combination. An expensive combination no doubt but it turned out to be really useful.

I think you can do fine with the 8th Gen iPad which costs 26.9K with HDFC discount. I got the Pro because (1) Pro versions were cheap back then (base model costed 40k in one of the BBD / Amazon sales) (2) since I would be using the pencil everyday I preferred a better glass-pencil lower latency experience.

And 64GB is a lot in an iPad. Mine still has 40GB free space after 2 years of use. In a phone, may be not; but an iPad with 64GB is good enough IMHO.

Last edited by Pancham : 20th October 2020 at 10:48.
Pancham is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks