Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2010, 22:26   #46
BHPian

Yeah, the tablet could be the future of computing, though not this one, definitely. Over the years, tech has been condensed into tinier packages, and now with tablets, it's almost invisible. All that's left is a screen, and that's the least amount of hardware you require.
Old 1st February 2010, 09:05   #47
BHPian

No doubt ipad is an eye(i)candy but lags behind in practicality. I spoke to couple of people at my workplace and asked them if Ipad tickled their fancy? Many of them have iphones & blackberrys. None of them said they'd buy.We all know it lacks in some very common features like USB support and doesn't have computer like environment (where you can open word, excel, powerpoint etc documents).

Its just a big square thing with big screen to play music, play flash based games, watch movies, read ebooks and use online maps. all smart phones and laptops are capable of doing all of them. It has a bunch of features of a smart phone/ipod shoved into a box; size of a netbook. It can be replacement for a netbook but neither for a laptop nor for an Ipod. If you see the market share, how many netbooks have been sold? I reckon very few. I believe the main reason someone would buy it will be "I had a couple of extra buck lying around and found no other use for them so I bought this big apple thing". It will have a niche market for it.

Talking practicality, under which circumstances would you buy it. you'll buy it to carry around while traveling or flying abroad/around on business/non-business trips. With so much restrictions on flight luggage would you like to carry a laptop, a smart phone and Ipad apart from your usual stuff? Many won even I won't. So, best of luck Mr. Jobs with your new "CREATION".

PS:My post is not intended to hurt Apple fans.It reflects my personal views and of those I spoke to. There will be many people loving it from the moment they saw it.

Last edited by Punzabi : 1st February 2010 at 09:09.
Old 1st February 2010, 09:23   #48
Team-BHP Support

The Hitler's video review on iPad is already out on Youtube, can't post the link here because of all the profanity. But I was able get all the major negatives from that. I have not read any other reviews since I was put off by the positioning. I can't think of one reason why I would need it personally.
Old 1st February 2010, 11:35   #49
Team-BHP Support

12 Key features missing in iPad

1. iBooks is initially US-only
2. No built-in camera
3. No USB ports
4. No memory card read
5. Keyboard dock sold separately
6. No multi-tasking
7. No Adobe Flash support
8. Can only run Apple-sanctioned apps
9. Can only access iTunes videos and music
10. Lacks HDMI port
11. Screen is 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:9 widescreen
12. No full GPS support

Source: 12 Key Features Apple iPad lacks | Tablet | iBooks| Australia

You know what this reminds me of? The Apple Newton! Yes, I am one of few guys who has seen Apple Newton when it came out. I had a colleague who owned it and brought that curious thing to every team meeting to take down notes. It was just an expensive toy with little use.
Old 1st February 2010, 12:48   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
12 Key features missing in iPad

1. iBooks is initially US-only
2. No built-in camera
3. No USB ports
4. No memory card read
5. Keyboard dock sold separately
6. No multi-tasking
7. No Adobe Flash support
8. Can only run Apple-sanctioned apps
9. Can only access iTunes videos and music
10. Lacks HDMI port
11. Screen is 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:9 widescreen
12. No full GPS support

Source: 12 Key Features Apple iPad lacks | Tablet | iBooks| Australia

You know what this reminds me of? The Apple Newton! Yes, I am one of few guys who has seen Apple Newton when it came out. I had a colleague who owned it and brought that curious thing to every team meeting to take down notes. It was just an expensive toy with little use.
1. Just initially.
2. They should have room for upgrade.
3. And keep the current prices low.
4. And allow data to only be synced through iTunes + a document folder (new).
5. So?
6. Multi tasking will mess up whole innovation per app. But I do hope multitasking comes some day. Push notifications ftw until then. I think iPad doesn't have them yet as well though.
7. If I were Apple boss, I wouldn't want flash to compete with my business. Lack of flash isn't deal breaker. Hope new technologies in future can suffice the need.
8. It's the best thing they do for the end user.
9. And iTunes can deal with any music or video you have. But I do long for a music manager that's fun to use.
10. You'll still be able to see 720p for certain supported apps + a supporting cable for external display. This information is under NDA, which is why you don't know.
11. Yeah... But it would be very hard for developers to code for both orientations if it were 16:9, since the variation in width would be too much. And supporting both orientations is enforced.
12. GPS will be available in 3G model.

Look at the price and competition in that band, look at innovation, and apps.

Every reply is retaliation your points. Might sound like a fan boy, but any honest reply would also have been the same.

Cheers
Old 1st February 2010, 12:57   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
Every reply is retaliation your points. Might sound like a fan boy, but any honest reply would also have been the same.
No, it doesn't sound like fanboy. It sounds like company spokesperson.
Old 1st February 2010, 13:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No, it doesn't sound like fanboy. It sounds like company spokesperson.
agreed. kind of.

Was too eager to ease the anti-Apple hyper to which there are legit reasons. Even with restrictions and pricy affair, I like Apple products, hardware and software both.

s/retaliation/retaliating/g

Last edited by Gurpartap Singh : 1st February 2010 at 13:31.
Old 1st February 2010, 14:31   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Since we have no 3g here yet and god knows when they will get it after all the delays. Will it be possible to used a USB data card such as Photon or Broadband+ with the iPad?
Old 1st February 2010, 14:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

It would be a great device for Kids to play and learn. A netbook with a touch display would suffice for the adults.
Old 1st February 2010, 14:56   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Since we have no 3g here yet and god knows when they will get it after all the delays. Will it be possible to used a USB data card such as Photon or Broadband+ with the iPad?
No. You can't use the cards. Also you can't use the MTNL 3G sim since the iPad uses a mirco gsm sim.
Old 1st February 2010, 16:21   #56
Team-BHP Support

I think 3G sims can be chopped and made micro sim

Card tricks: why Apple put a microSIM into the iPad
micro-SIM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 1st February 2010, 16:52   #57
Senior - BHPian

Not very impressed with this. Reminds me of the giant marketing iphones they use in some stores in England. Cheap Chinese versions should be out soon.
Old 1st February 2010, 17:10   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Not very impressed with this. Reminds me of the giant marketing iphones they use in some stores in England. Cheap Chinese versions should be out soon.
They're out already. Mostly Android or Windows 7 based.
Old 1st February 2010, 17:21   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
They're out already. Mostly Android or Windows 7 based.
Are they like the ipad? I have seen touch screen tablet PCs years ago but was never very impressed with them.

Also ipad for some people is a very funny name. Pad means fart in some languages such as Punjabi.

Last edited by bigman : 1st February 2010 at 17:23.
Old 2nd February 2010, 08:24   #60
BHPian

Here is the image of a Chinese tablet P88 manufactured by Shenzhen Great Long Brother Industrial Co.
The iPad Thread-p88tablet1.jpg
Source: P88 tablet PC - non-existent Apple Tablet clone | UNOtech|technology news

Also the same company is pulling up its socks' to sue Apple as they claim Apple stole their design. They said they launched their product last year and Apple copied it & came up with Ipad.
Source: China Tablet PC Maker May Sue Apple Over iPad Design - PCWorld

O.T @Bigman: I really like your sense of humour . yeah its true you'll spell Pad (Fart in punjabi) same as I-pad but its the pronunciation that makes the difference. There are so many words in english that you'll find look very similar/exact to words in punjabi. for example HUT in Punjabi means 'move aside', CHUK (english slang) in Punjabi mean 'here you go', GOON in punjabi mean human feces

There are alot more and some are vulgar enough to land you in troubles and can't be posted here.

Most Viewed