Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2022, 23:46   #676
BHPian

Re: The iPad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-power View Post
I feel that the aspect ratio of the iPad (mini or otherwise) is not video friendly. An 8 inch Android tablet with 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio would display a bigger video image than the iPad which will display thick black bars on the top and bottom. Somebody buying the iPad primarily for video consumption need to keep that in mind. I'd buy an iPad for productivity, not entertainment.
I once tried the exact same video on 2nd Gen iPad mini (borrowed from neighbor) and my Amazon Fire 7. On the mini, the video size (black bars not counted) was 7 inches while the same video on my 7inch fire 7 tab was occupying full screen real estate (no black bars or very little) and giving me 7 inch actual video.
Old 17th January 2022, 15:11   #677
Senior - BHPian

Out of curiosity, I tried playing the same video - a webseries - on 10.5 ipad pro and Realme Pad 10.4. side by side, you can see how the aspect ratio reduces the actual video size.

I have not zoomed in additionally, as can be seen by the matching corners of the video.

The iPad Thread-pxl_20220117_092947417.jpg

On realme pad, it is around 10.3-10.4 inches when measured diagonally, whereas on ipad 10.5, it is slightly less than 9.6 inches.

The iPad Thread-pxl_20220117_093011069.jpg

This confirms my recommendation that if you want to get a tablet for media consumption, Android tablets with wider aspect ratio are better than ipad.

Last edited by ani_meher : 17th January 2022 at 15:12.
ani_meher is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 16:45   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Out of curiosity, I tried playing the same video - a webseries - on 10.5 ipad pro and Realme Pad 10.4. side by side, you can see how the aspect ratio reduces the actual video size.
Even I was considering iPad Mini 5 for media consumption and I saw that the actual video's size was 7 Inches (borrowed neighbors' iPad Mini 2 and using a tape measured the size). Then I checked same video on amazon fire 7 tablet which is a 7 inch tablet and entire screen gets filled with video so essentially, for video, my 7 Inch cheap tablet still suffices.

For now, I have dropped plans to get the Mini for video consumption but paying <10K for a tablet vs 30K+ for iPad makes no sense for me.
Old 18th January 2022, 13:36   #679

To be fair to the latest iPad mini, it has the widest aspect ratio (3:2) among all iPads. iPad Air 4 come close at an odd 23:16 while all other iPads have the squarish 4:3 aspect ratio.
Old 3rd February 2022, 14:58   #680
Senior - BHPian

PSA: Samsung S7+ tablet, one with 12.4inch 120 HZ OLED screen and 6GB/128GB is available at flipkart for 41k. Price is 51k, with 10k off for ICICI. I would say for 41k, it is a great deal.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 16:56   #681
BHPian

Unfortunately the touch on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 has gone a bit funny. Seems to be a manufacturing defect. When I visit the UK later this year I will try to claim a battery replacement where they instead give a refurbished iPad, same model, for £99 - lets see how that works.

Meanwhile I am getting a 2021 iPad Pro from the US (killer price). My question:

If I buy AppleCare+ in the USA, would I be able to make a claim in India? Apple has a month to month subscription there which I find more reasonably priced so thinking of adding that to cart with my iPad. But wonder if I can make claims internationally i.e. outside the US?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 21st May 2022, 19:14   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Unfortunately the touch on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 has gone a bit funny. Seems to be a manufacturing defect. When I visit the UK later this year I will try to claim a battery replacement where they instead give a refurbished iPad, same model, for £99 - lets see how that works.

If I buy AppleCare+ in the USA, would I be able to make a claim in India? Apple has a month to month subscription there which I find more reasonably priced so thinking of adding that to cart with my iPad. But wonder if I can make claims internationally i.e. outside the US?

I would hazard yes, because thats how Apple works - global warranties for all their products.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 00:24   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post

Apart from iPhone, all Apple products have international warranties.
GreyNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 00:57   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I would hazard yes, because thats how Apple works - global warranties for all their products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
Thanks for the responses.

AppleCare+ is actually more of an insurance policy rather than a warranty, as it covers accidental damage. So would this still work internationally?
Old 22nd May 2022, 11:16   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
iPhone has international warranty as well. Been so since a long time. Check the link, it’s dated 28th October, 2017.

https://indianexpress.com/article/te...s-now-4907026/

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 22nd May 2022 at 11:17.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 00:15   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
iPhone has international warranty as well. Been so since a long time. Check the link, it’s dated 28th October, 2017.

https://indianexpress.com/article/te...s-now-4907026/

Cheers
I stand corrected. Thank you!
Old 3rd January 2023, 14:18   #687
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Need some advice on buying an iPad. Our last tablet purchase was the iPad 1 and it's use is only as a ebook reader now. The fact that it is even being used is itself a wonder.
Our phones are all Android, work laptops are either windows or macbooks. So our ecosystem covers windows, Android and Apple.

Anyway, we saw the Mac Book Pro 13 inch with the pencil and it seemed quite good and has prompted us to buy something similar. Only, the pro iPad is fairly expensive for our usage.

Now, when I see amazon.in, i see the iPad 9th gen for about 30k, the iPad air for about 50k and the pro at 70+k. I am veering towards buying the iPad 9th gen + 1st gen Pencil.
Is there a strong reason to go towards the iPad air instead?

Does pencil 2 have any major advantages over pencil 1?

The current intention is that it should work with the procreate app with reasonable fluidity.

At a later point, I might use it as a home laptop too with a keyboard attachment.
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:11   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Need some advice on buying an iPad.

The current intention is that it should work with the procreate app with reasonable fluidity.
My 2 cents. We had an IPad at home which we replaced with an IPad Air (4?) in 2020. The reason was the Apple Pencil 2 and how quick, efficient and smooth (my wife's words) my home minister found the Air + Pencil 2 combo. And since she is pretty good at art and a heavy user of procreate, I agreed. (what else can we husbands do after all).

Long story short, to her the difference in usage was substantial for us to spend the extra money and buy the IPad Air + the gen 2 Pencil.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 3rd January 2023 at 16:14.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:58   #689
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Need some advice on buying an iPad.
Now, when I see amazon.in, i see the iPad 9th gen for about 30k, the iPad air for about 50k and the pro at 70+k. I am veering towards buying the iPad 9th gen + 1st gen Pencil.

At a later point, I might use it as a home laptop too with a keyboard attachment.
I had a Gen 1 iPad since 2011. I used it mainly as a consumption device. Reading, surfing, youtube and all.

I moved to an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil 1 and the magic keyboard in 2018 and have been using it as my primary device and complete laptop replacement. I gave away my MacBook Air to a young person in the family when I switched to iPad.

Last year I decided to gift that iPad Pro to a young person in the family and make myself upgrade. My iPad Pro was working perfectly and delivering all that I needed. I used to sketch on it and use it for work, reading kindle, playing music, web surfing, watching youtube and all the rest of it.

I was toying with buying the new iPad Pro and Apple Pencil 2. I then realised that the new gen iPad Air was also compatible with Pencil 2 and with the addition of the compatible magic keyboard, it would do all that the iPad Pro would do and at a lesser price.
So Ive upgraded to the iPad Air as described above. Not a single regret so far.

I also have an iPad Mini and Apple Pencil 1 - this works as a nice reading device because it is so small and compact and light.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed