Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 00:32   #61
BHPian

5800 navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Free navigation is not available on all Nokia 5800 devices. It depends on the product code of the particular device.

This is the list of latest firmware versions for different product codes -

Nokia 5800 Product Codes
It is possible to change the product code of a 5800 using NSS, refer link
Nokia 5800 Help Guide: Change your phone's product code with NSS | Nokia 5800 Blog

My phone, being more than a year old (so I presumed warranty was out anyway) was not among the supported product codes in the 5800 device line-up, so went ahead and tried the NSS software and could upgrade to firmware v40.0 via NSU... and subsequently updated maps to 3.x.

Had an opportunity to test the setup today eve, having absolutely no idea how would a MMI or SatNav device suggest routes, this being my first time using GPS navigation in India.
The navigation sucked BIG time is all I have to say. The start and end points set up as my office at CV Raman Nagar and Banashankari in Bangalore, about 19km as per the new maps application, the navagating lady in crisp UK English tried to lead me away all the time to some optimized route that I have never taken in entire of 3 years of almost daily office commute.. :-) I wish I could post the regular route here that I take daily for reference, might have made good sense to Bangalore BHPians.

Finally the lady agreed after numerous Route Recalculations that we are indeed on Inner Ring Road and I should continue course for 4KM.

That, AND exactly one more time at a turn that I got absolute good advice from the navigation, again in the Koramangala region, keeping a count was never so easy probably..hehe

Finally when I pulled to a stop in front of my home, the lady was still heard suggesting another 300 meters straight ahead and STOP!

So all in all, maps are good in the new avatar, navigation is best left alone to mature, maybe on highways where there are fewer turns and diversions would it produce better results. Neither it is easy to set up the destination, unless the spelling and dots and commas match EXACTLY; I wonder where they left the prediction and matching algos perhaps..

For the moment, in city traffic, I would use the Nokia navigation in a situation where I know the rough area to drive in to and then to locate a particular POI. Letting it all decide entire 20km of route could prove painful probably, long way to go..

Maybe Nokia is trying to revive its dwindling sales in light of the other smartphone offerings, so providing free navigation could have been a pretty darn good strategy, also keeping in mind some of the good points of the symbian platform over the competition. But, half-hearted approaches may backfire is all I can think of...

Cheers!
Old 28th January 2010, 15:17   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finally when I pulled to a stop in front of my home, the lady was still heard suggesting another 300 meters straight ahead and STOP!
She knew a better parking space!
Old 29th January 2010, 18:31   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
She knew a better parking space!
Yeah, maybe :-) Yesterday I was declared to have reached destination exactly on spot, parking available of course.

The battery goes down pretty fast if the backlight is kept on, turn the backlight off and just following the voice directions (with discretion of course) makes for a better usage scenario.
Old 30th January 2010, 16:07   #64
BHPian

Hi,
This is great news! Unfortunately I use a E51 which is not yet supported :(.

I currenly use the google map in the mobile, this is very good. The advantage it that even mobiles with out GPS can use this application. It works based on the tower location and the location is approximate. But a decent application with cost effectiveness .

Regards,
Vijay
Old 30th January 2010, 16:33   #65
BHPian

Seems like my 5800's product code is not supported yet. Just checked :-(
just a month old, so I cant void warranty by changing the product code also..
Old 30th January 2010, 16:54   #66
Senior - BHPian

Download the SIS file and install it directly. Product code would not be an issue i nthat case. SIS file URL is at nokia.com/maps.
Old 31st January 2010, 11:46   #67
Team-BHP Support

Folks, pardon my ignorance. Just to confirm my doubts, the maps recently released are OVI Maps right? Maps were already available under the Nokia maps section before? Is it that only voice has been added now?

So what IS different between the previously available maps and current one which have been released. Is it that they are more accurate? While downloading the maps for my humble nokia, I realized that the whole India map is only 28MB. So I kind of suspect that the new release is much more comprehensive.

Also the OVI Maps part says only selected models are supported, E72 being one of them. I thought since E71 is similar, it should work. Any findings?

Last edited by ampere : 31st January 2010 at 11:47.
Old 31st January 2010, 12:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

New maps were released around early December. Size of India maps is around 104 MB. Earlier maps covered less then 10 cities. Now it covers around 100 cities.

Maps would work fine on E71, though free navigation version is still not available. That is because this phone has older OS and Nokia is working on porting new version of maps to this OS.

Here is what I suggest you should do:

1. Download latest Nokia PC suite (now called OVI suite)
2. Connect your phone and upgrade maps
3. Download latest map data for India
Old 31st January 2010, 13:25   #69
BHPian

For all folks who are yet to get it working on Nokia 5800, rush to the nearest Nokia Care and get the firmware upgraded to v40. I got this done under 30 minutes and installed the news maps application. Did not face any issues at all. v40 also has other cool features like slide to unlock(ala iPhone) and contact+app bar on the homescreen plus speed improvements.
Old 31st January 2010, 13:28   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Simply because they'll make a lot more money from the % cut on GPRS charges. I'm pretty sure Nokia has a deal in place whereby it gets a certain $$$ from the GPRS income of your service company.
They are going to make their money from value added services like local listing etc. Already I see a icon for Burrp on my Ovi Maps after using it for one day. This widget is awesome! It shows the closest restaurants/bars etc to your current location with a simple one click direction to the that place. I'm sure Nokia is getting some revenue from Burrp for this widget.
Old 31st January 2010, 20:40   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

1. Download latest Nokia PC suite (now called OVI suite)
2. Connect your phone and upgrade maps
3. Download latest map data for India
Nokia Maps Loader, which obtains and loads maps on the phone and Nokia Maps Updater, which upgrades the software are available separately.

Due to errors occuring, I have not been able to upgrade to Nokia Maps 3 --- I intend to check this out at a Care Centre. However, I'll never use Nokia Map loader ever again! It is a dumb stupid piece of software that deletes all your existing maps before loading any additional map. There is an easier and quicker way, and that is to download the maps directly, then unzip them into the CITIES data structure. This site explains how and gives the direct links for the districts/counries.

I added Singapore (pretty small, obviously) in just a few minutes. Imagine if I had had to reload UK and India too.
Old 1st February 2010, 14:12   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Nokia Maps Loader, which obtains and loads maps on the phone and Nokia Maps Updater, which upgrades the software are available separately.

Due to errors occuring, I have not been able to upgrade to Nokia Maps 3 --- I intend to check this out at a Care Centre. However, I'll never use Nokia Map loader ever again! It is a dumb stupid piece of software that deletes all your existing maps before loading any additional map. There is an easier and quicker way, and that is to download the maps directly, then unzip them into the CITIES data structure. This site explains how and gives the direct links for the districts/counries.

I added Singapore (pretty small, obviously) in just a few minutes. Imagine if I had had to reload UK and India too.
Does this mean the maps will not work with any other phone today? I thought, at least the maps should be viewable, leaving the voice guidance part apart. I thought it you install the improved maps, you should get a better GUI.

Also I am not able to locate the ~104MB Map file. All the nokia apps point to the ~30MB file which is the old map version.
Old 1st February 2010, 15:17   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
For all folks who are yet to get it working on Nokia 5800, rush to the nearest Nokia Care and get the firmware upgraded to v40. I got this done under 30 minutes and installed the news maps application. Did not face any issues at all. v40 also has other cool features like slide to unlock(ala iPhone) and contact+app bar on the homescreen plus speed improvements.
How much we have to pay to Nokia to upgrade the firmware?
Old 1st February 2010, 17:41   #74
BHPian

Free of cost if your phone is in warranty

Quote:
Also I am not able to locate the ~104MB Map file. All the nokia apps point to the ~30MB file which is the old map version.
Have you tried updating through the Ovi Suite? It downloaded a ~104 MB file for me for India.
Old 1st February 2010, 18:01   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Does this mean the maps will not work with any other phone today? ...
As far as I know, the Nokia maps only work with the Nokia software. The direct links are just an easy way to add to the maps on your Nokia phone.

Most Viewed