Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 18:13   #76

OVI Suite

I have installed OVI suite. Using that I could download 100+MB map file of India alone to my E71. First impression is that, whatever cities currently covered by Nokia maps are well covered and has lot of POIs. However number of cities covered are less compared to other maps like Garmin, MMI etc.

BTW, I have no voice navigation enabled, the phone being E71. Waiting for a software update in April.
Old 1st February 2010, 20:20   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopan View Post
I have installed OVI suite. Using that I could download 100+MB map file of India alone to my E71. First impression is that, whatever cities currently covered by Nokia maps are well covered and has lot of POIs. However number of cities covered are less compared to other maps like Garmin, MMI etc.

BTW, I have no voice navigation enabled, the phone being E71. Waiting for a software update in April.
When I use OVI suite, I only see the 28MB India map. Is that the method you used? By the way which version of OVI suite you are using?

Last edited by ampere : 1st February 2010 at 20:36.
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:27   #78
Senior - BHPian

The Nokia map always shows my position where my home is even after I am at my office. Why it does not get the latest GPS data and show me where am I? Any settings I need to do?
Old 2nd February 2010, 20:03   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
The Nokia map always shows my position where my home is even after I am at my office. Why it does not get the latest GPS data and show me where am I? Any settings I need to do?
I am just guessing, do you by chance see a faded red dot when you are in office? Also look out for any distance shown along the red dot at 3/4th way top-left on your phone screen. If you see some distance mentioned, try tapping on the red dot at top left and it might update you to the office location on map.

Another silly guess/ suggestion, maybe you should go out of your office and try connection to GPS satelite in open space

Cheers!
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:35   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
I am just guessing, do you by chance see a faded red dot when you are in office? Also look out for any distance shown along the red dot at 3/4th way top-left on your phone screen. If you see some distance mentioned, try tapping on the red dot at top left and it might update you to the office location on map.

Another silly guess/ suggestion, maybe you should go out of your office and try connection to GPS satelite in open space

Cheers!
Correct it shows a faded spot. I did not notice any distance though. Also When I went on the terrace, the gps got the satellite lock.

Off topic: I have an interesting reading about 5800 XM. I am not sure everybody has noticed it or not:

1. The phone was trying to get a lock on the satellite for a long time. It had lock on satellite almost 7 hrs before this. So it was kind of a cold start for it.
2. The satellite status dialog shows 5-6 satellites with the strength as almost > 70% but then it is in grey color.
3. Only when the phone actually gets a lock these strength bars change their color to light blue.
4. It seems the GPS chip can see satellites but then the software is not able to get lock and it struggles for 3-4 min in cold start.
5. I guess this is a firmware problem with 5800 OR its the normal and expected behavior of any gps enabled phone. This is my first gps experience so I am not sure.

Any thoughts guys?
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:15   #81
Senior - BHPian

This is normal for GPS.

A bar just means that GPS chip can listen something on that satellite's channel. Once it starts getting proper timing data from satellite then it becomes a solid bar.
Old 8th February 2010, 06:50   #82
BHPian

I am using 5230 and I downloaded the software over the air (Its around 8 MB). Not many POIs, but the voice direction is good (I installed US Male). The POI search works well when the mode is set to online. I guess I have to connect it with OVI suite and download the maps to a microSD card.

I am using Aircel in Bangalore and the connection speed is great.
Old 8th February 2010, 10:05   #83
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have updated Maps and downloaded India Maps. How do i use navigation and How do i get voice navigation ?

I am using a Nokia 5800. Should i upgrade the software ?
Old 8th February 2010, 22:42   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
I have updated Maps and downloaded India Maps. How do i use navigation and How do i get voice navigation ?

I am using a Nokia 5800. Should i upgrade the software ?
Not sure about 5800. In 5230, you have to go to settings, navigation. Under voice guidance, select the voice and the voice files will be automatically downloaded (if it is not available offline).
Old 12th February 2010, 10:49   #85
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

i have downloaded these but still no idea how to use it !
Old 12th February 2010, 19:47   #86
BHPian

Nokia Maps

Here is a screen-shot of Nokia Maps on my model 5230.
I am yet to use it extensively.
Attached Thumbnails
Nokia offering maps and navigation for free-scr000006.jpg  

Old 14th February 2010, 17:33   #87
BHPian

My experience with the navigation - it is not aware of the dividers or new constructions. Sometimes it will ask you to take turns in non existent roads or take a right on a road with divider in the middle and no place to take turns. Also, it always tries to navigate through major roads, not shortcuts, which is great for safety.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:09   #88
BHPian

hey i have a mac, is there a way to download maps 3.03 directly to my phone?
Old 16th February 2010, 19:16   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
hey i have a mac, is there a way to download maps 3.03 directly to my phone?
yes there is a map loader available for mac, download from ovi maps website.
you can download & install maps/voices on nokia through that.

also, like ovi suite, mac features nokia multimedia transfer for phones.
Old 18th February 2010, 13:06   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Nokia Maps is Free because so is Google Maps.

That's healthy competition at work. No way, that anyone would pay for a service when a competitor gives away the same for free.

As regards the business model - think classifieds! There's a huge (gigantic) opportunity to charge businesses tiny amount for placement on maps, think about it, a cent from even 1% of all shops & establishments in India per year would be like a billion dollar enterprise.
Methink that Googke Maps may be free but, unlike Ovi, one has to remain connected to internet for Google to work. This is not so for Ovi. So the internet cost makes a lot of difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks