Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2005, 00:25   #1
BHPian

Guys i lost my cell help

people i lost my cell the SE w800i ........... i have the serial no the warranty and all... what should i do i have registered a FIR

guys i need help any one of you can help me please
Old 15th September 2005, 00:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatingdeath
people i lost my cell the SE w800i ........... i have the serial no the warranty and all... what should i do i have registered a FIR

guys i need help any one of you can help me please
Contact your operator, try speaking to the Credit or Fraud Management team. Ask them for the call details on your phone, and ask them to put the IMEI on trace.

Better still, lodge an FIR with the IMEI of your phone on it and on the basis of that contact ALL operators and ask them to put the IMEI on trace.

In case you dont know what your IMEI is, your operator should be able to give you the same from your previous call records (calls you made TILL you lost the phone).

If the phone is used in the same city (will probably be, unless the thief is really smart) you will then get the mobile number of the person currently using the phone. Then its upto the cops to contact the person and try to retrieve it.

All this is theoretical - its very difficult to get cooperation from all the operators, but you can give it a try. With luck the thief may have tried to call using your own SIM, or perhaps he has put in a SIM that belongs to the same operator as yours. Thats your best shot.

PS: DO ALL THIS NOW - MOBILE PHONES ARE MOBILE ASSETS AND YOUR BEST CHANCE AT RETRIEVAL IS DURING THE FIRST FEW HOURS AFTER THEFT. DONT WASTE TIME NOW ON THE FORUM.

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th September 2005 at 00:34.
Old 15th September 2005, 00:34   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

man really feel sad for u,a new cell and whamm..anyway u can get an FIR lodged and also block ur sim immediately..there is a provision to block ur cell from being used(not the sim but ur cell) too by using ur IMEI number,not sure if its been done on a regular basis though and it can be traced using this number so u can confirm with the cops and ur service provider..
Old 15th September 2005, 00:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
..anyway u can get an FIR lodged and also block ur sim immediately..
Allowing the thief to make a couple of calls helps trace the number used by him...its a call you have to make, and if your number is prepaid dont bother blocking since the money is lost anyway - at least you get a shot at contacting the thief, for what its worth...
Old 15th September 2005, 00:53   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Allowing the thief to make a couple of calls helps trace the number used by him...its a call you have to make, and if your number is prepaid dont bother blocking since the money is lost anyway - at least you get a shot at contacting the thief, for what its worth...
yup agreed its better to allow the thief to make a few calls,but one thing we got to keep in mind is no thief is that dumb to make that mistake of calling up from the same sim..the 1st thing he will do is chuck the sim out..and then maybe he might even sell it in the gray market where parts are interchanged,reprogrammed and if that happens its impossible to trace even with the IMEI..
Old 15th September 2005, 00:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

dude im so sorry to hear this ya how did you lose it ??i tried calling many times but its not recheable.have you already blocked your sim ?

do what Steeroid has said, it makes sence.i doubt cops will do anything now.mostly they will call you tomorrow morning only.any way see what you can do and if you need help call me.ill be up.ill try and help you out.

Rev
Old 15th September 2005, 00:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yup agreed its better to allow the thief to make a few calls,but one thing we got to keep in mind is no thief is that dumb to make that mistake of calling up from the same sim..the 1st thing he will do is chuck the sim out..and then maybe he might even sell it in the gray market where parts are interchanged,reprogrammed and if that happens its impossible to trace even with the IMEI..
All that takes time, which is why I suggested he gets on the ball immediately. Greed is the prime driver for theft, and so a thief will more often than not try the phone out at least once before he goes to the grey market. Especially if the SIM is not blocked - free phone plus free calls is too much of a temptation.

I've helped many people locate their phones (I am in the telecom industry) by letting them keep the SIM 'live'. Hell, I've even recovered my own phone in Nigeria (stolen by my own driver who was subsequently sacked).
Old 15th September 2005, 01:07   #8
BANNED

Quote:
All that takes time, which is why I suggested he gets on the ball immediately. Greed is the prime driver for theft, and so a thief will more often than not try the phone out at least once before he goes to the grey market. Especially if the SIM is not blocked - free phone plus free calls is too much of a temptation.

I've helped many people locate their phones (I am in the telecom industry) by letting them keep the SIM 'live'. Hell, I've even recovered my own phone in Nigeria (stolen by my own driver who was subsequently sacked).

all sounds good and hope that happens and our buddy gets his cell back..and just curious to know how many cells have u recovered in india,actually shocked that the cops cooperated..my mom too works for bsnl..buddy urs happened in nigeria but this is india where cops dont cooperate,service providers dont cooperate..my friend has lost his SE P910 about a few months back and still no news..so doubtful if its that easy to get these done in india..
Old 15th September 2005, 01:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.buddy urs happened in nigeria but this is india where cops dont cooperate,service providers dont cooperate..my friend has lost his SE P910 about a few months back and still no news..so doubtful if its that easy to get these done in india..
You ever been to Nigeria, dude? India is like heaven compared to that country. As for co-operation between operators, at least the guys here TALK to each other or even acknowledge each other's presence...

It is possible to get these things done in India, if you know whom to contact - the call centre is the WRONG place to start. I wonder which operator cheatingdeath was on...
Old 15th September 2005, 01:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

he was using bpl.he called the call centre and asked them to trace it but they denied.the cops have the power but they just dont co operate.some time back a friend of mine lost her phone and nothing happened.the cops didnt do sh**

Rev
Old 15th September 2005, 01:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is possible to get these things done in India, if you know whom to contact - the call centre is the WRONG place to start. I wonder which operator cheatingdeath was on...
i have also been in this situation once...how does one contact the operator other than the call centre ? do they have any procedure for stolen phones or do we have to try our luck?
Old 15th September 2005, 01:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

he was using bpl.he called the call centre and asked them to trace it but they denied.the cops have the power but they just dont co operate.some time back a friend of mine lost her phone and nothing happened.the cops didnt do sh**

Rev
Old 15th September 2005, 01:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech

Rev
PM me his number - let me see what I can do tomorrow. Its a bit too late for today, though and that may make all the difference.
Old 15th September 2005, 11:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh.. That is sad. :( I do not buy any expensive cellular phone for the simple reason that they are prime targets for theft. Easy to obtain and easy to dispose at profit. I am currently carrying a Samsung Slim around. It is a Relaince CDMA number so it is tougher for people to dispose, plus I do not really care because it costed me just 2,999/- and it has served me a year.
Old 15th September 2005, 13:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

I too had lost my mobile a year back. I was about to sell the mobile for whatever it was worth and buy a new one, but this happened in the meantime. I tried to call my number many times, but could not get to it. My sister got a call from my mobile, but the guy was speaking in Tamil and my sister could not understand a thing out of it. We also gave the guy a day's grace time and then I went and registered an FIR and got the SIM blocked. Well, I did not expect the police to trace my mobile, but my idea is that the guy whoever has got it should not use it for any anti-social activity. If he does so, then police will start looking out for me. That was the prime reason why I registered an FIR with them. Ofcourse, I bought a new cheap mobile which I am using till date.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks