Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Gmail or Yahoo mail ?
I prefer Yahoo mail 32 15.24%
I prefer Gmail 178 84.76%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2013, 17:22   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Web Mail - your preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
The new CEO maybe making news , but is she doing anything to improve on these reliability issues ?
Making news for the wrong reasons actually. Banned work from home for employees while at same time built a nursery for her kid next to her office space (though it is said that she paid for it).

Looks like she is determined to finish the whole thing, Carly Fiorina (of HP) style.

My Yahoo is still in use because I have enrolled that one to many of the places. Slowly moving all communication to Gmail.
Old 31st March 2013, 18:36   #77
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Did you know that many years ago Carly Fiorina was the one that had visualized an all in one communication and information smart device, strapped to the wrist in place of a wrist watch?

Take a look at what Apple and Google and Sony and everyone else is upto nowadays! Looks like they are all attacking the last bastion left on one's person, the wrist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Making news for the wrong reasons actually. Banned work from home for employees while at same time built a nursery for her kid next to her office space (though it is said that she paid for it).

Looks like she is determined to finish the whole thing, Carly Fiorina (of HP) style.

My Yahoo is still in use because I have enrolled that one to many of the places. Slowly moving all communication to Gmail.
Old 31st March 2013, 21:13   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Did you know that many years ago Carly Fiorina was the one that had visualized an all in one communication and information smart device, strapped to the wrist in place of a wrist watch?
Visualization is one thing, delivering is another. Carly was famous for talking big and delivering tiny. What really bugged me was that she replaced the great Lew Platt, who was a very down to earth person unlike the flashy Carly Fiorina. He was hugely successful unlike Carly, yet he was sent home for lacking style. I had the privilege of shaking hand with Lew Platt in 1995 at HP Bangalore, he was a towering personality even in physique, yet would put you at ease.

True leaders make a huge difference in rise and fall of huge companies. Remember how in late 90s we all believed IBM would vanish within couple of years, Sam Palmisano managed to bring it back to life, and how. I don't need to mention what Steve Jobs did to Apple after joining back in the late 90s.

Marissa Mayer needs to perform a similar miracle to save Yahoo from the brink.
Old 31st March 2013, 21:25   #79
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Visualization is one thing, delivering is another. Carly was famous for talking big and delivering tiny. What really bugged me was that she replaced the great Lew Platt, who was a very down to earth person unlike the flashy Carly Fiorina. He was hugely successful unlike Carly, yet he was sent home for lacking style. I had the privilege of shaking hand with Lew Platt in 1995 at HP Bangalore, he was a towering personality even in physique, yet would put you at ease.

True leaders make a huge difference in rise and fall of huge companies. Remember how in late 90s we all believed IBM would vanish within couple of years, Sam Palmisano managed to bring it back to life, and how. I don't need to mention what Steve Jobs did to Apple after joining back in the late 90s.

Marissa Mayer needs to perform a similar miracle to save Yahoo from the brink.
Appreciate that sentiment. Even Im not pleased with the 'long on promises and short on delivery' school...
Old 31st March 2013, 21:58   #80
Senior - BHPian

I started with Yahoo, way back when Google wasn't even born. Then along came Google, but there was no email. A few years later there was Gmail, but I wasn't very much excited. I did ask one of my colleagues to 'invite' me to open an account (back in those days you could get a Gmail account only if someone else invited you, so it wasn't open to everyone).

I still use Yahoo more than the Gmail, simply because it's the oldest email address and registered at many places.

Today when I compare the email services, both are more or less on par, as far as my user experience goes. I actually would rate Yahoo higher than Gmail. Reason: When I want to empty my Spam folder, in Yahoo I select all emails and click Delete. A message comes up asking for confirmation. I click Yes, and the deletion starts. Almost the same process happens at Gmail, however there's a subtle yet important difference. In Gmail after I confirm that I want to delete all the emails, there's a Cancel button right under the cursor. By mistake if I sent in two clicks (faulty mouse or over-sensitive touchpad), I would first confirm and then cancel the entire operation. Poor UI methinks.
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:17   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not know why but Yahoo mail has gone worst from bad. Its almost inacessible since last 1 week AFAIK, and even when it was working, it was horrible sine they changed to the 'new' design. Until it was that 'classic' version, things were fine but now its worse. I cannot check my email or send any
Thankfully, I had previously made the transition to Gmail which is a lot simpler and 'no nonsense' kind of mailbox. But the major concern with Gmail is with privacy. I can see small ad banners related to contents in my mail box.

Regards,
Saket
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:37   #82
Senior - BHPian

It is just a matter of perception that gmail is good, but Yahoo mail is really refreshed now and on par with gmail. As far as work from home policy is concerned they still have it and employees still use when needed, Carly did the right thing in streamlining the WFH policy because it definitely hurt people who had not turned up at office for years and were no way contributing also, but for a genuine case it is still there. The only disadvantage with gmail I have found over the years is it is easy to hack the gmail account as the security features are really basic.

Last edited by deehunk : 3rd May 2013 at 11:41.
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:54   #83
Senior - BHPian

These day I feel that Yahoo is the best email service provider and next best is Outlook.com. Few days back Yahoo changed their UI/Display fonts and Messenger (option for floating windows) is neatly integrated with email UI.

Cheers!
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:15   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The only disadvantage with gmail I have found over the years is it is easy to hack the gmail account as the security features are really basic.
Google introduced 2 factor authentication much earlier than Yahoo. Also everything in Gmail worked on https long back. Yahoo introduced this recently. this prevents session sidejacking. So now Yahoo is on par with Google. But minimum password length for Yahoo is 6. While for its Google its 8. Also Yahoo has max password length of only 32. Google is more than 32. Hence Google account is more secure than Yahoo account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I do not know why but Yahoo mail has gone worst from bad.
I POP all my Yahoo mails to Gmail !

Btw, Google has fixed storage space. But Yahoo doesn't have such limits.
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:31   #85
Senior - BHPian

I use all three Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail.
I have yet to find one better than other.
Old 4th May 2013, 14:01   #86
Senior - BHPian

[quote=msdivy;3111856] Hence Google account is more secure than Yahoo account.

I have always found the otherway, also experienced it few times.
Old 4th May 2013, 14:25   #87
Senior - BHPian

I started with a Yahoo account, then asked my friend to invite me to gmail. Then I used an outlook.com account recently.

Yahoo, I use sparingly. Still kept it because some of the old contacts and the necessity of some communications required.

Gmail, I use as the main account. I like it more so, because of the integration with Android smartphone. Very nice

Outlook.com, I use frequently. I am beginning to use it more often, but it cannot replace Gmail. Still I like the interface of the entire outlook.com website.
Old 10th May 2013, 14:10   #88
BHPian

I thnk it goes to your age. People like me who started using emails when Gmail was not created, will be still using Yahoo as main email account.

Now I use yahoo, gmail and live (outlook). As most of the time, I access emails from my Windows phone, there is hardly any difference as Windows phone interface is same for all emails.
Old 10th May 2013, 14:39   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I thnk it goes to your age. People like me who started using emails when Gmail was not created, will be still using Yahoo as main email account.
I don't think it is age, just preference. I started using email in 1993, but my first webmail was Hotmail in 1997. Although I got a yahoo account little later, hotmail remained my primary until I got gmail in 2005. After that gmail become my primary.
Old 10th May 2013, 14:46   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

I started using email in late 90's and started with Hotmail which was primary for a long time and then Yahoo.

Later used rediffmail for a pretty long time as well. But, when gmail came it bowled me over akin to majority of other people for following reasons :-

1. Huge email space they offered was unheard of those days
2. Clean and uncluttered look
3. Super fast referesh rates of their emails
4. Higher MB attachment

I still have yahoo but, Gmail is now my primary and dont think anyone else will come and change that anytime soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks