Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 21:50   #1
BHPian

Can I connect extra speakers to my Philips DVD player?

Hi guys!
I own a Philips DVD player. As of now the audio is connected to my Onida TV which has good sound quality. It is connected to the TV through FRONT LEFT AND FRONT RIGHT OUTPUTS.
Now, my query is that I also own Navtech 2.1 multimedia speakers. Is there a way I could connect it to my DVD player?

Even if the subwoofer can't be used, is there any way to use the two speakers to give a surround effect and extra sound output?

I hope you get me.
Thanking you in advance
Abhinav Sharma
Old 25th February 2010, 21:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

if these are PC speakers, all you need is an RCA to female minijack cable.
Can I connect extra speakers to my Philips DVD player?-31telrscyl._ss400_.jpg
Dont bother learning the name just go to an electronic parts store , and tell them that you need a cable to connect your DVD player to PC speakers
Old 25th February 2010, 22:15   #3
BHPian

Nah! I need to use extra speakers with my DVD player IN TANDEM with my TV speakers. Where and how to connect?
The 2.1 speakers have an input cable of the type- 3.5mm male to RCA male.

P.S.-
I tried connecting the RCA jacks of the wire to the DVD's rear left and rear right sockets and the other RCA end to the subwoofer (that's where all connections happen) of the 2.1 multimedia speakers' input but there was no sound from the 2.1 speakers. Only, from the TV speakers.

I am as of now using the normal MP3 discs of bollywood songs you get from street hawkers to play sound on my DVD player, do I need any special media?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 25th February 2010 at 22:21.
Old 25th February 2010, 22:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

you need two splitter/Y cables
Can I connect extra speakers to my Philips DVD player?-31hacp4257l._ss500_.jpg

or try enabling the upmix/dolby surround/whatever upmix is available in the settings menu. ensure output is not set to 2.0/stereo

Last edited by greenhorn : 25th February 2010 at 22:31.
Old 25th February 2010, 23:25   #5
BHPian

Why do I need this Y-cable? What would it connect?
See, it's like I want TV speakers to be working as Front Left and Front right (which they are)
and my multimedia speakers as rear left and rear right (which they aren't don't know why) but there won't be sub involved. Although the sub may work if I connect the 2.1(subwoofer included) speakers to the rear left and rear out.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 25th February 2010 at 23:41.
Old 26th February 2010, 00:11   #6
BHPian

This is what I intend to do-
Attached Thumbnails
Can I connect extra speakers to my Philips DVD player?-audio-diagram.jpg  

Old 26th February 2010, 07:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Why do I need this Y-cable? What would it connect?
to get two sets of working RCA outputs which you currently dont have, since you're not getting any output from the rear channels ( probably because you dont have/have not enabled any upmix in the player)
Quote:
See, it's like I want TV speakers to be working as Front Left and Front right (which they are)
and my multimedia speakers as rear left and rear right (which they aren't don't know why) but there won't be sub involved. Although the sub may work if I connect the 2.1(subwoofer included) speakers to the rear left and rear out.
the Sub is an integral part of the speaker, and will work. I'm not sure you are going to get actual surround output unless you play surround material. if you play mp3's , and manage to get output from the surround outputs, most internal upmixes just mirror the output. So its essentially the same as the Y cable
Old 26th February 2010, 10:41   #8
BHPian

Yeah! You were right! I just enabled Pro-Logic II and all speakers as well as the sub fired up! Thanks a lot greenhorn. Although, I feel I shall need the Y-cable to add extra speakers to my DTH TV too as I didnt know of such a cable before, then I shall get much more pronounced sound on TV too. Thanks a lot.

Do you know if these cables are readily available. I seriously doubt it. Anybody who can get it for me or a DIY?

Is a DIY possible for such a cable?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 26th February 2010 at 10:52.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Investigate the cables/adapters available in the electronics spares shops first. Dont think it will be that hard to find

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks