Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2005, 10:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay
Steeroid,

So does this phone have "Push Email TO Phone" feature?Can we push the corporate email onto the phone?I hope it does not require as complicated / Pricey setup like the Blackberry's though!
Please let me know the prices.
Had a look at a P990i prototype last week. Have concerns with the memory on that one too. Has options for Memory StickPro Duo and Memory Stick.
Am not very sure about the ranges of the memory though. The prototype tested said about 80Mb on the phone.

Cheers,
-Ajay
Ajay

Push Email is no longer a Blackberry exclusive feature. Everyone from Microsoft to Nokia is into it these days and there are plenty of independent solutions available in the market today. Solutions like Gartner's SEVEN mail (www.alwaysonmail.com) cost about $50 a year, not including cost of SMSs...there are other solutions for Symbian UIQ like MailX which are free to download but will cost you in terms of GPRS usage + SMS which is fair enough.

However, the moot point is - HOW BADLY do you need emails pushed to your device? 99% of today's email-compatible devices come with the option of timed retrieval, wherein you can set the interval at which your device will automatically check for emails...IMHO this is good enough, since you can set up your device to check your mail as frequently as you want...every 5 mins if you are desperate, or every 15 mins/30 mins if you're a normal sort of guy. Once this is done, you dont need no Blackberry or any such 'PUSH EMAIL' client on your phone.

That said, most phones today come with in-built Push Mail support. All Windows Pocket PC devices will be compatible with Microsoft Exchange 2003's push email capabilities. All Nokia devices will be compatible with Nokia's push-mail solution and so on and so forth. RIM will probably end up as a vendor of stupid black bricks/paperweights, which is what their Blackberrys have been but for the push mail capabilities.

Now to my question - WHERE did you get to test the P990i prototype that you described??? With expansion slots, memory shouldnt be an issue as the Memorystick PRO duo goes upto 2 gb and more...enough memory to carry your music for the morning jog. Besides, these are Symbian devices which require less memory and manage the available memory better than Microsoft devices like the iMate which are memory and processor hogs. Greedy pigs...

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th October 2005 at 10:31.
Old 11th October 2005, 10:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Thanks Devarshi. I bought an iTech Blueband for about $80. Connects nicely to the JAM, the A1000 as well as my laptop, but the sound quality is nothing to write home about...
Correction - sound quality from the PDAs is pretty good. Just realised that my laptop doesnt support A2DP since its on Bluetooth 1.1 and I was getting MONO sound from the laptop. No wonder it sounded crappy.

Sound quality thru the included Bluetooth HiFi transmitter is pretty damn good from my worldspace radio...perhaps I should use the transmitter on my laptop too, instead of using the built in bluetooth.

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th October 2005 at 10:38.
Old 12th October 2005, 02:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

wasnt here for sometime. good to know you rectified the problem and are now enjoying the stereo bluetooth. I myself am on the lookout for a new phone.

p990 didnt impress me due to its smaller screen. I love big screens and want a multimedia powerhouse.
Old 12th October 2005, 04:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Ajay

However, the moot point is - HOW BADLY do you need emails pushed to your device? 99% of today's email-compatible devices come with the option of timed retrieval, wherein you can set the interval at which your device will automatically check for emails...IMHO this is good enough, since you can set up your device to check your mail as frequently as you want...every 5 mins if you are desperate, or every 15 mins/30 mins if you're a normal sort of guy. Once this is done, you dont need no Blackberry or any such 'PUSH EMAIL' client on your phone.

-Thanks very much for the information. I would need this thing up and running for my phone asap. The amount of travelling I do now.
Phew!!

Now to my question - WHERE did you get to test the P990i prototype that you described??? With expansion slots, memory shouldnt be an issue as the Memorystick PRO duo goes upto 2 gb and more...enough memory to carry your music for the morning jog. Besides, these are Symbian devices which require less memory and manage the available memory better than Microsoft devices like the iMate which are memory and processor hogs. Greedy pigs...
Happen to work with one of the competitors of Sony Ericsson.Found one of the prototypes which our guys were using to evaluate. Dont ask me from where they got it
But the feedback I got from the team here who is involved in developing cell phones is the P990i is a very good product.

Cheers,
Old 12th October 2005, 04:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
wasnt here for sometime. good to know you rectified the problem and are now enjoying the stereo bluetooth. I myself am on the lookout for a new phone.

p990 didnt impress me due to its smaller screen. I love big screens and want a multimedia powerhouse.

-I think P990 does have a big screen!
Well, the initial impression I had of the phone was it does have a whole lot of mutlimedia capabilities and it is significantly lighter, easier to handle than the earlier P series grandies.
This one resembles the last generation iPAQ. Dont know about the worldwide market release times though.

Cheers,
-Ajay
Old 13th October 2005, 03:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

p990 has a big screen but it is smaller than the p900 earlier series.

the release date is Jan 2006 when I supppose differnet companies will launch atleast 50 new handsets. LOL!
Old 21st October 2005, 08:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:

the release date is Jan 2006 when I supppose differnet companies will launch atleast 50 new handsets. LOL!
-Yes kinda weird that they are launching this in Jan.
But it worth an effort I guess to wipe out the corks' and get the product in for sale rather than getting your stuff back on service links immediately after selling them. Think thats what happens when you have 50 new handset launches In a six month time frame.

THanks,
-Ajay
Old 21st October 2005, 14:06   #23
BANNED

Quote:

P-990 Won't be released until april 06 due to it's software not ready .
Old 21st October 2005, 23:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

any links?????????

its all ready for the launch .reviews have also been placed already. Because if sonyericsson wants some share from Motorola then they will have to release this product before the A1010.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks