Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2005, 14:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Never buy Nokia 6101

I just bought a Nokia 6101 10 days ago as a treat to myself for getting a new job. I have returned to Nokia after 5 years of using one Siemens phone and five korean phones. My last Nokia was 5110.

My new phone is being my biggest nightmare. This is the new clamshell model from Nokia. I spent Rs. 10,000 for this and got trobles from day 1 as free with the phone. The problems are date/time resets every few hours. The mini screen on the clam shell goes dead frequently. I gave the phone to the service center. They kept it for 5 days and said everything is fixed when returning. But the problems still persist. They put some scratches to open the cover and did not put it back propoerly. Today the camera stopped working. So many problems for a 10 days old phone.

I wanted to replace this. But both the dealer and Nokia Customer care confirm that they don't have replacement policy. Even I was ready to loose few hundreds. But the dealer said he can pay me only 7000. I felt like hitting me hard. It is the same guy who convinced me to go for this phone when I was looking at some other cheaper model. I don't know how many times I have to travel to the service center before I grow tired and throw this damn thing in the trash can. Till now I trusted Nokia to be the best in mobiles. But this is the worst phone I have ever used. BTW, this is the first Camera phone I ever bought.

Actually I want to buy a PDA phone and waiting for Windows Mobile 5 phone to show up in the market with reasonable price tags. I bought this Nokia as an Intermediate phone.

I am never going to buy Nokia phone and not going to suggest to anybody else.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 27th September 2005 at 14:32.
Old 27th September 2005, 14:34   #2
BHPian

if you have 10k to spend, look no furthur than k700i....... This Nokia pales in comparison.
Old 28th September 2005, 09:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I suggest you take it to a Nokia 'Professional Care Center' there is difference btwn them and a Nokia 'Retailer/Offical care center' The professional care centre places are usually the biggest retailers of nokia in that particular city so they have access to alot more technicans. I am sure they will be able to resolve the problem. U can find out locations for the same at www.nokia.co.in to find out exactly whr it is located in u r city. Since ur phone is in warranty dont let this go easily, take it up with the company they have to replace it or atleast repair it for you.
Old 28th September 2005, 13:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

hi satish.

why didnt u call me before buying a phone bro?

did u replace it?

call me if u requrie help. ps: i lost my phone ,so lost all the nos too,call me once when poss.
Old 28th September 2005, 19:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nokia has been bad on many departments last year. Their market share fell too. I think they were sleeping and taking rest for some time because they are back with some good things on the list now.

Nokia care centers have some good record. try to get it done anyways. For a new phone I would suggest go for a sonyericsson model that suits you.
Old 29th September 2005, 00:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

My advise would be to get the number of their regional service manager, call him and tell him that you are going to post your problems on the company noticeboard in case they do not help you..
Old 30th September 2005, 21:24   #7
F50
Senior - BHPian

Some how I feel Nokia was never good at making clam shell phones ... they make it just to show that they do have variety of phones to choose from ... I would prefer Nokia anyday ... but not clam shell ones... simple 6610 rules for me as of now
Old 1st October 2005, 04:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

every company has has got some defective phones. I personally dont like nokias but I think they make good phones.

for clamshell i siemens are the best followed by sonyericsson.
Old 1st October 2005, 06:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Never Buy A Nokia 9300

Let me add to the list: never buy a Nokia 9300. If you're looking for PDA functionality, this is NOT the device for you. Its a total waste of money, a pain to use and generally a useless brick.

Strong words, but I've just discarded mine after 5 months of trying to get some use out of it and have exchanged it for a Motorola A1000. For those of you who scoff at Motorola products, this one is ANYDAY better than that miserable junk that is the N9300.

Its almost as good as my iMate, which is saying quite a lot. AND it doesnt crash on you like the iMate, which makes me forgive any minor shortcoming vis-a-vis that product.
Old 1st October 2005, 09:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

The A1010 is out and it is a lot better than the A1000. BUt the sharp 903 model beats em all up when it comes to features.

How does this sound.

3.2 mp camera
640x480 video
stereo speakers with yamaha drivers
3g video phone

and much more
Old 1st October 2005, 12:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
The A1010 is out and it is a lot better than the A1000. BUt the sharp 903 model beats em all up when it comes to features.

How does this sound.

3.2 mp camera
640x480 video
stereo speakers with yamaha drivers
3g video phone

and much more
The difference is only in the camera, as for A1010 its a minor update to the A1000 - the additional features are not worth a fraction of the difference in cost.
Old 1st October 2005, 12:09   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
for clamshell i siemens are the best followed by sonyericsson.
motorola is the clamshell leader. Though they may be scoffed at in India, Motorola have huge market presence in the West. Same story with Siemens actually.
Old 1st October 2005, 12:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
motorola is the clamshell leader. Though they may be scoffed at in India, Motorola have huge market presence in the West. Same story with Siemens actually.
Rtech, there's a small correction. Siemens does not have a huge presence anywhere. Their market share plunged to such abysmal levels that they sold their handset business to Benq. Ditto with Alcatel, who sold out to Chinese phone maker Bird.
Old 1st October 2005, 12:19   #14
Team-BHP Support

You're right Steeroid. I actually meant the products Siemens sells. They had/have some really good phones. However, even me, a Siemen's loyalist, was forced to switch brands as they just seem to have dropped to such a low level now. There is just zero resale on any of their phones.
Old 1st October 2005, 15:29   #15
BHPian

My take on Motorola Phones:-
The phones are good and feature rich. I think the reason why they fall behind others in India are due to the fact that it is a media-shy co unlike the Korean cos or Nokia. The brand recall value of Nokia, samsung, LG is much better than Motorola....
Then their reputation was hit by poor batteries in few of their earlier products and this notion of a motorola phone having a poor battery life continues even today. Though IMO it is as good as others. Never had any problem with the batteries on my E398/v60...

The other common complaint abt motorola phones is its slow software....
Also, for someone who is used to the Nokia User interface, getting accustomed to the UI of Motorola takes some time...

-Haque

Most Viewed