Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2005, 17:52   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Its mindblowing...absolutely mindblowing how we can get genuine and helpful non-auto related information so easily on Team-BHP.

Cheers

GTO
Hey GTO,

Glad we could make YOU feel proud

Cheers
Old 28th September 2005, 17:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor
Hi Ported,
It actually is VERY simple once you proceed in a methodical manner. Lemme try and help.

First, could you please revert with the following;
1. Do you have Win XP running on both the DT (Desktop) and LT (Laptop)? If yes, life just got simpler. If no, lemme know.
2. The Internet coming to your DT, how is it wired? LAN Card or ADSL modem? Very important in planning for further plan-of-action. I shall assume a ADSL mod connected via USB. Lemme know if it is different. (perhaps you connect via LAN card in which case you will need to get another LAN card for DT). Lemme know.
3. From 2, we presume that yr LAN card on DT and LT are free and vacant. Now, press 'win key'+'pause/break' on the DT and check your Hardware>Device Manager. There should be no Yellow exclamation marks for the Network Adapters - This indicates that in all probability you LAN cards are correctly installed with drivers.

Please do the above and revert so that we may proceed with the next chapter.

PS: Be patient - If it bleeds, we can KILL it!

Cheers

Whoa, lots of support, thanks guys. I'm sure we can deal with this one.

@ XSailor: I have Windows XP SP2 running on both the systems. The internet connectivity to my desktop is via the onboard LAN card. I have another D-Link 10/100 Mbps Ethernet adapter lying around, which I intend on using to connect my laptop. Did the preliminary checks you asked me to. We are good to go. What's the next chapter?

@cnu: I checked, my LAN cable is a crossed cable, the colours do not match.
Shoudl I wait till Xsailor reverts back to me with some further help, to proceed with the proxy server installation? Configuring Emails client is not an issue as mail will be through web based email only. The idea here is only basic internet connectivity, for getting updates for the OS and antivirus and light browsing only.

In the meantime I am checking out the linkys, will revert ASAP.
Old 28th September 2005, 18:16   #18
BHPian

@ Ported. So far, all good news.

Now, connect both the DT and LT and assign IP address.

1. On DT, you will have two LAN connections - one for Inet and other is the LAN we wanna setup to share the Inet. Leave the Inet as it is - all good there. For the LAN change IP to 192.168.0.1 and subnet to 255 times three and a zero.

2. On the LT, do the same but change IP to 192.168.0.2 and give the gateway an address of 192.168.0.1.

3. Try pinging both the machines DT from LT and v/versa using the appropriate IP add of self as well as other.

4. If all turns out well, proceed with DT network setup wizard. You can clik on 'set upa home...' on the left pane. Select and keeping feeding the appropriate info. OF course, remember to check 'this m/c is connected to Inet directly..blah blah'. In the end just finish wizard without accepting offer to make network setup disk.

5. On LT, same procedure except that you have to select 'this m/c uses another m/c to connect to the net'.

6. Once all thsi is done -Voila. You are good to go.

Lemme know.

Cheers
Old 28th September 2005, 18:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ok I am totally stumped, still no result from pings from either machine. Turned off the firewall properly too on both the machines. Checked the cable again, it's a crossed lan cable exactly the way it says on the site. Any other suggestion? I have a feeling I am missing out on something here....

One question, do I have to enter any values in the default gateway and DNS server options in the Properties of my Ethernet Adapter for LAN to my desktop?

And what about this NetBIOS proeprties? Though I have no clue what it is, that and DHCP? Just listing out all possibilities..

Last edited by ported_head : 28th September 2005 at 18:55.
Old 28th September 2005, 23:40   #20
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
One question, do I have to enter any values in the default gateway and DNS server options in the Properties of my Ethernet Adapter for LAN to my desktop?
No. These are not required. Only the IP address and the subnet mask are mandatory. I am assuming that you have done the following:
- Assign the IP 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 on say desktop
- ping 192.168.0.1 on desktop. Did this work ?
- Assign the IP 192.168.0.2 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 to the laptop
- verify ping 192.168.0.2 on laptop.
- Ping 192.168.0.1 from laptop.
- Ping 192.168.0.2 from desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
And what about this NetBIOS proeprties? Though I have no clue what it is, that and DHCP? Just listing out all possibilities..
You dont need to tune any of these.

On the other hand, when you connect the cable, is the LED on the network card on your desktop glowing ? This LED should glow if the hardware connection is detected at both ends.
Old 29th September 2005, 00:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu
No. These are not required. Only the IP address and the subnet mask are mandatory. I am assuming that you have done the following:
- Assign the IP 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 on say desktop
- ping 192.168.0.1 on desktop. Did this work ?
- Assign the IP 192.168.0.2 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 to the laptop
- verify ping 192.168.0.2 on laptop.
- Ping 192.168.0.1 from laptop.
- Ping 192.168.0.2 from desktop
Did all of the above, and I am getting positive pings for each of the above. What next? Looks like we are getting somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu
On the other hand, when you connect the cable, is the LED on the network card on your desktop glowing ? This LED should glow if the hardware connection is detected at both ends.
Yeah the LED is glowing at both ends so hardware seems to be fine.

What next? What next?
Old 29th September 2005, 00:25   #22
cnu
BHPian

Ok, just follow the steps listed here to setup ICS:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp

You have detailed steps for the desktop as well as the laptop(client) at that link...

And remember to remove the IP that was manually entered on the desktop and just select "Obtain IP automatically" radio button.. (same thing has to be done on the laptop but this is covered in one of the steps at the above URL)

Good luck..

Last edited by cnu : 29th September 2005 at 00:28.
Old 29th September 2005, 00:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

cnu: Couple of problems pal, only if networking was easy!

I got the LAN working, I can view Shared Documents folders on either side and can transfer files in between them too. Buttttt, there is still no internet connectivity. Followed all the steps to the tee in the linky you gave me.

Secondly, when I try to get the desktop to obtain IP address automatically for the LAN connection, the network conks off and shows limited or connectivity.
What am I doing wrong?
Old 29th September 2005, 01:24   #24
cnu
BHPian

Ok.. we can check one at a time...

On the desktop:
- You enabled ICS on the LAN connection that is connected to the internet.
- You selected "Obtain IP address automatically" for the LAN connection that is connected to the laptop.
- Reboot the PC
- Now go to command prompt and give the following command:
c:\> ipconfig
- This should list down both the ethernet adapters along with the IPs associated with them.. Do you see an IP 192.168.0.1 against the adapter connected to your laptop ? (windows should have assigned this static IP to the adapter connected to laptop after ICS was enabled)...

What does ipconfig show after ICS is enabled ?

----------
Ok.. just found the recently updated procedures from microsoft...
Verify the steps at this link again : http://support.microsoft.com/default...22120121120120
(Use IE only to view this link...)

Last edited by cnu : 29th September 2005 at 01:37.
Old 29th September 2005, 07:45   #25
BHPian

In addition to what CNU had posted, You will have to define the Gateway on the Laptop to specify the desktop
Old 29th September 2005, 09:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks
In addition to what CNU had posted, You will have to define the Gateway on the Laptop to specify the desktop
Gateway defination is only needed if you 'Specify' a particular IP to the LT eg. 192.168.0.2. If you allow'obtain IP auto...', no need to setup the gateway on the LT.

Did you run the networking wizard for XP on DT and LT?

If you still find this an issue, do install Analogx Proxy.

Keep us updated.

Cheers

Last edited by Xsailor : 29th September 2005 at 09:58.
Old 29th September 2005, 11:26   #27
Team-BHP Support

@ported head.
The setup you want is somthing like this
<Internet>----------<Desktop>-----------<Laptop>
Now for you desktop, you will have a gateway, it the router which will be used to access the internet.
For your Laptop your Desktop is the gateway

My guess is that you are connected to the internet. why you cannot surf is that you do not have a DNS server setup. See, for your Laptop, the internet gateway is your Desktop IP address. I suggest run treewalk DNS server(Free download) on your desktop and then give the address of your desktop as your DNS server for LAPTOP.
Also you need to manually specify the IP addresses. You cannot use DHCP because you are not running a DHCP server on the Desktop(Automaticaly obtain IP addresses).

the simplest solution is 300rs. Buy a 2 port hub. connect your router ethernet line to hub and connect both to hub!
Old 29th September 2005, 11:27   #28
Team-BHP Support

DNS DNS... Look at my lower post
Old 30th September 2005, 23:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu
Ok.. we can check one at a time...

On the desktop:
- You enabled ICS on the LAN connection that is connected to the internet.
- You selected "Obtain IP address automatically" for the LAN connection that is connected to the laptop.
- Reboot the PC
- Now go to command prompt and give the following command:
c:\> ipconfig
- This should list down both the ethernet adapters along with the IPs associated with them.. Do you see an IP 192.168.0.1 against the adapter connected to your laptop ? (windows should have assigned this static IP to the adapter connected to laptop after ICS was enabled)...

What does ipconfig show after ICS is enabled ?
Sorry guys, could not reply earlier. The status as of now is that, the LAN works fine, as in to transfer files between the notebook and the desktop.

cnu, this is what the IPCONFIG command shows up:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix : mshome.net
IP Address: 192.168.0.234
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

I tried the exact steps on the Microsoft support as well, even the last connection setup config part, and still no avail.

Thanks.
Old 30th September 2005, 23:53   #30
Team-BHP Support

@ported head, what does your DNS server entry say?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks