Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2005, 00:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
@ported head, what does your DNS server entry say?
There is no DNS entry for the Laptop, it's set on obtain automatically.

Just checked, no entry on the Desktop end either.
Old 1st October 2005, 00:49   #32
SLK
Senior - BHPian

put this one in the laptop only ...217.115.138.24.......... NOT desktop
Old 1st October 2005, 01:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
put this one in the laptop only ...217.115.138.24.......... NOT desktop
SLK, what does this do?
Old 1st October 2005, 03:19   #34
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well I am assuming that your desktop acquires the DNS server's address through DHCP so you can't see it in Lan (tcp/IP) settings. So put an open DNS manually.. might just do the trick.

BTW if you try can you open website on your laptop using the IP only i.e try http://66.94.230.44 for yahoo!. If this works ... putting a DNS would help, otherwise some problem with gateway (ICS).
Old 1st October 2005, 08:16   #35
BHPian

Um...

Hi Ported,

Um...This can get frustrating. When I started fooling-around with basics of LAN last year, this is exactly where I reached; No-effing-where .

But do not despair. Once you have done it a few times around, it will be a walk-in-the-park.

Tell you what, if you are on Messenger/Skype; just pm me and i'll add you to my contact - then we can try it step-by-step in real-time.

I say it again; If it bleeds, we can KILL it.

MSN id is on my profile and skype id I can pm you.

Lemme know (I'll be logged-in between 0930 to 1900 today).

Cheers
Old 1st October 2005, 08:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
Lan cable should be a cross cable only. (you have to specifically ask for a comp to comp cable, known as cross cable)... costs around 35-75...

Cross cable is used to connect between 2 comps.. but the other normal/straight cable is used to connect comp to hub/switches etc.

GTO: there is no need for a router .. as this way you use one comp as a router but again the main comp must be on to share net.
and when you have a server OS in your comp.. it can work as a very good router.....
when in uk, we used routers 2 share net. they costed 40-60 pounds for a motorola unit and they wer plug and play.

and guys, there r wireless routers 2. the advantage is that u can connect ur desktop 2 teh router directly and the lap can browse wireless. ( provided the lap has wifi)
Old 1st October 2005, 08:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
Ported,
You are trying use the Win default connection sharing which -apparently- is not working for you.

Try download AnalogX proxy software from here and install it in your gateway PC. Your gateway PC is the one to that the cable modem is connected now.
http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm

Then, launch IE in your laptop; select TOOLS menu
Select Internet Options
Choose the tab Connections
Tick Use a proxy server....
Give the IP of your gateway PC as address and 6588 as Port.
Click OK. Close IE
Ensure proxy is running at gateway PC.
Launch IE and try. It should work

The AnalogX is free....

@GTO,Yes, the proper way to share internet is by using a router due to many a reason. But you dont really need it HERE as you are connecting just 1 machine and the data is not business-critical.

yah, its a nice and easy one. Give a try.
Old 3rd October 2005, 15:58   #38
cnu
BHPian

ported_head: Whats the update pal ? Any luck ?

(P.S: I was busy with some other stuff hence this late reply.)
Old 22nd October 2005, 12:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys, for the late update. Was caught up with some routine stuff, plus really sore fingers.

Ok, the story so far, we are 3 pages down and 40 posts down, but we still couldnt get the ICS thingy to crack, so much for Msft's user friendly Windows XP.

The LAN works just fine, and when I go to network connections on my notebook, it shows an Internet Gateway too such as: Internet Gateway: Local Area Connection on WIN 1: Connected.

But I still can't open any websites. Do I need to configure my browsers? What are we missing out on? If need be, I can install AnalogX, but will need guidance to configure it.

Take it away guys.
Old 22nd October 2005, 12:36   #40
Team-BHP Support

have you configured the default gateway?
Old 22nd October 2005, 12:58   #41
Team-BHP Support

@ported_head did you try this link
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Step by step. Read through fully. XP has an amazing quality, when you do something like this and even one step os slightly screwed up, you are screwed for good. So undo all settings and start from scratch. ICS is very very easy to setup and works without a hitch in XP.
Old 22nd October 2005, 12:59   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
Sorry guys, for the late update. Was caught up with some routine stuff, plus really sore fingers.

Ok, the story so far, we are 3 pages down and 40 posts down, but we still couldnt get the ICS thingy to crack, so much for Msft's user friendly Windows XP.

The LAN works just fine, and when I go to network connections on my notebook, it shows an Internet Gateway too such as: Internet Gateway: Local Area Connection on WIN 1: Connected.

But I still can't open any websites. Do I need to configure my browsers? What are we missing out on? If need be, I can install AnalogX, but will need guidance to configure it.

Take it away guys.
Hi Ported its high time, u need a professional expertise now,It dosent take so long to configure internet sharing its a meagre 30 min job max... I wanted to post earlier but i didnt, i was amazed with the kind of response u were getting from other members to setup ur stuff, the best part was what GTO had pointed about the I.T information which we were sharing in an Automotive forum.. i mean thats great ... its the effort from other members which counts most , so i thought let it go for a while and see how things shape up, its unbelievable though,
Pm me and i will send my Engg to setup ur stuff.
Rocam
Old 22nd October 2005, 14:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
have you configured the default gateway?
Errrr.....I guess not. But the IP address is set to obtain automatically, so the gateway values get blanked out too. What do I do?

What puzzles me is, the notebook shows an internet gateway as the LAN to WIN 1, shouldn't that be sufficient?
Old 22nd October 2005, 21:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

A router is a simple solution for such a problem. Just clone the MAC address for your PC and then plug everything via the router.
Old 23rd October 2005, 04:08   #45
SLK
Senior - BHPian

.. did you set up the DNS manually?... let everything be what it is.... just try setting DNS manually.
Since you are getting " Internet Gateway: Local Area Connection on WIN 1: Connected." ... everything seems to be working fine.... DNS can be the only problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks