Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2005, 21:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Need help to setup LAN

I'm in a bit of a fix. I have a cablenet connection at home, which is connected to my desktop. But I need to have internet connectivity on my laptop too. Spke to my ISP, but I can only use my connection on either of the two, something about a binding MAC address. So I was wondering if it is possible to route my internet connection via my desktop to the laptop? I don't care about the speeds, as I need this only to download software and virus definition updates and light browsing.

I tried manually configuring the notebook and the computer, but somehow it messed up so bad, it absolutely blocked any sort of internet access to even my desktop. Thank lord for system restore.

Second try, I used Windows network setup wizard on both the computers. It does detect a connection buttttt, when I try to ping the other IP address from either machine, I get a "Request Timed out." What am I doing wrong?

I am running Windows XP SP2 on both the machines, and my desktop has onboard LAN which is used for internet connectivity and an additional ethernet adapter to which I tried to connect the laptop.

Techies please help!!
Old 27th September 2005, 23:16   #2
SLK
Senior - BHPian

OK sounds like an easy thing to do...
all you got to do is...
1) In the advanced properties of your internet connection(desktop) turn on internet connection sharing.
2) your Extra ethernet adapter will then have an Ip 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0
3) now when you connect your laptop to your desktop using a cross cable and setting IP address as automatic for the laptop.... if all goes fine it should work.
4) incase it does not ... then type in the IP for the laptop as 192.168.0.2 and subnet 255.255.255.0 and in place for DNS type in the original DNS provided by the ISP (same as entered in your desktop)
5) if it still doesn't work.... try changing the hardware settings of your network adaptors to 10Mbps.
6) if still doesn't work?... I stay too far to help!

Ps: My 400th Post... shouldn't go waste!

Last edited by SLK : 27th September 2005 at 23:18.
Old 27th September 2005, 23:32   #3
cnu
BHPian

Yes. Setting up "Internet connection sharing" on the network adapter connected to the net is the easy way to go.

Here's some useful links:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp

Just remember to turn OFF the default Win XP firewall on both the computers as I have seen this creating connectivity problems many times. You can turn it on later after things work.

Good luck...
Old 27th September 2005, 23:40   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Would it not be simpler to buy a router?

GTo
Old 28th September 2005, 01:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ok gurus, tried everything you guys told me, but still no avail. This Windows firewall is weird, i turned it off through security settings, but at security center it still shows ON. I have a feeling that is the culprit. Could it be the LAN cable? I went to a comp periphery shop and asked for a 10/100 LAN cable, and they gave me one made by DLink.
Any other suggestions?

GTO, I don't know if a Router makes sense for just two machines. Besides a Router would never be as cheap as an Ethernet card, and I happened to have one lying around so I thought I'd give it a shot?
Old 28th September 2005, 02:00   #6
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Lan cable should be a cross cable only. (you have to specifically ask for a comp to comp cable, known as cross cable)... costs around 35-75...

Cross cable is used to connect between 2 comps.. but the other normal/straight cable is used to connect comp to hub/switches etc.

GTO: there is no need for a router .. as this way you use one comp as a router but again the main comp must be on to share net.
and when you have a server OS in your comp.. it can work as a very good router.....

Last edited by SLK : 28th September 2005 at 02:01.
Old 28th September 2005, 08:45   #7
BHPian

I would agree with SLK. Internet Connection Sharing should do the trick for you.
Use a cross over cable to make the connection between the PC and you Laptop.

If you are a wireless freak, I would suggest that you get a Dongel and use Bluetooth to communicate with PC and Laptop. In this way. You can share files, Access the network without thinking on the network issues.
Old 28th September 2005, 08:47   #8
BHPian

Here is how you go about doing it.

Install the Dongle on the PC, PC becomes bluetooth enabled
All laptops by default have a bluetooth device inbuilt.

You could use Bluetooth as a channel of communication between the two PCs.
No wires required.

Caution : The speed is an issue here
Old 28th September 2005, 10:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ported,
You are trying use the Win default connection sharing which -apparently- is not working for you.

Try download AnalogX proxy software from here and install it in your gateway PC. Your gateway PC is the one to that the cable modem is connected now.
http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm

Then, launch IE in your laptop; select TOOLS menu
Select Internet Options
Choose the tab Connections
Tick Use a proxy server....
Give the IP of your gateway PC as address and 6588 as Port.
Click OK. Close IE
Ensure proxy is running at gateway PC.
Launch IE and try. It should work

The AnalogX is free....

@GTO,Yes, the proper way to share internet is by using a router due to many a reason. But you dont really need it HERE as you are connecting just 1 machine and the data is not business-critical.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 28th September 2005 at 10:20.
Old 28th September 2005, 11:14   #10
BHPian

No sweat

Hi Ported,
It actually is VERY simple once you proceed in a methodical manner. Lemme try and help.

First, could you please revert with the following;
1. Do you have Win XP running on both the DT (Desktop) and LT (Laptop)? If yes, life just got simpler. If no, lemme know.
2. The Internet coming to your DT, how is it wired? LAN Card or ADSL modem? Very important in planning for further plan-of-action. I shall assume a ADSL mod connected via USB. Lemme know if it is different. (perhaps you connect via LAN card in which case you will need to get another LAN card for DT). Lemme know.
3. From 2, we presume that yr LAN card on DT and LT are free and vacant. Now, press 'win key'+'pause/break' on the DT and check your Hardware>Device Manager. There should be no Yellow exclamation marks for the Network Adapters - This indicates that in all probability you LAN cards are correctly installed with drivers.

Please do the above and revert so that we may proceed with the next chapter.

PS: Be patient - If it bleeds, we can KILL it!

Cheers
Old 28th September 2005, 11:29   #11
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
Try download AnalogX proxy software....
Sandeep,

What you are suggesting is installing a proxy server which is not required in this case.

Ported_head is having problem with basic connectivity. Once this is resolved, ICS should be fairly simple.

Ported_head,

See this link for disabling the firewall:
http://www.utmem.edu/helpdesk/sp2/sp2firewall.htm

The cable has to be a cross-over cable. Its easy to check if the cable is a cross-over or not. Just bring the two ends together and observe the order of the colored wires. If the order is same at both the connectors then it is not a cross-over cable. See this link http://www.incentre.net/incentre/frame/ethernet.html.

The other way is to just connect the cable to the two machines. Assign IPs manually so that both are in the same subnet for eg. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 (subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 for both) and simply do a ping (again firewall should be disabled before doing this). The machines should be pingable if the cable is a cross-over. If this works, then make sure to remove the IPs you entered and select the radio button "get IPs automatically"...

If you dont want to waste time doing all this by your own... then just check with the peripheral shop..
Old 28th September 2005, 11:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu
Sandeep,

What you are suggesting is installing a proxy server....
Thats right...Try installing the proxy if the WinXP ICS is continuing to refuse to work. After all the server is only 269k in size...

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 28th September 2005 at 11:45.
Old 28th September 2005, 13:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
Thats right...Try installing the proxy if the WinXP ICS is continuing to refuse to work. After all the server is only 269k in size...
Hi Sandeep,

I too use Proxy from analogX and vouch for it. However,Ported could have a problem in configuring his LT based email client if he intends to doa regular send and rcve. He will have to change the servers in the mail account server. Though it works very well but if ever he has to use a direct Internet/Dialup connection on LT, he will have to redo the settings (in my case, I have 14 mail IDs configured and that can be quite a pain!!).
Further, he will have to guide any AntiVir/others updates services to use proxy too.

With ICS in XP, all this is not required. You set the ICS and the client works as though it itself has a hardwired net connection - no changes whatsoever.

Ported, I await your feedback. Also as required, please check if your cable is Cross-Crimped.

Cheers
Old 28th September 2005, 13:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is almost OT...

@XSailor,
The mail client is a problem. I totally agree. But there is a workaround.

Set IE in your LT via Proxy. So whenever it is connected to a LAN you check mail using IE.

Download and install Opera or Firefox. In the case of Opera, it will auto-configure using the IE (windows) network settings. Reset these to your dialup connection's settings. And set "Browser Identification" to IE. There will be absolutly no change in look n feel of pages.

Use Opera for mailing when you connect directly via dialup.
Old 28th September 2005, 14:23   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Its mindblowing...absolutely mindblowing how we can get genuine and helpful non-auto related information so easily on Team-BHP.

Cheers

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks