Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 09:57   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He told me that even a 4Mbps plan has only 100kbps upload.
Nonsense. I have a 2Mbps Airtel connection and get 600-800kbps upload BW.
Quote:
I need an Internet connection in practically the center of Bangalore, in an apartment complex, with an ability to upload 1Mbps and download 2Mbps with at least 2 static IP addresses. That is the minimum criteria.
I don't think Airtel gives you static ip. I used to have a Hathway cable BB which had static ip but their service was pathetic.

Why don't you use your company's name and get a business connection? There are many small businesses that are run from houses/apartments in Bangalore so your case is not an exception.
Old 6th April 2010, 13:01   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
I don't think Airtel gives you static ip. I used to have a Hathway cable BB which had static ip but their service was pathetic.
I currently have 5 static IP addresses from Airtel on my 512Kbps connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Why don't you use your company's name and get a business connection? There are many small businesses that are run from houses/apartments in Bangalore so your case is not an exception.
That's exactly what I tried to do. I am trying to get a business connection. Looks like I am talking to the wrong sales team considering how inflexible they were, very unlike my previous experience with Airtel.
Old 6th April 2010, 13:10   #18
Team-BHP Support

Samurai, ADSL is Asymmetirc DSL for a reason.
But don't worry there is hope.
I use airtel connection which goes 512kbps in the day, and 1Mbps in the night. I pay 1500/month, and it includes IPTV.
the good thing about this connection is that I get 512kbps upload always.
My picture uploading to smugmug always stays around 50-60KBytes/second.
This is what I have noticed with all airtel plans 512kbps onwards.
your upload is capped around 512kbps, and download can be 1mbps/2mpbs etc.,

Now why am I different from others, I think its IPTV line which is configured differently.
Alternatively there is Railtel and tata indicom as mentioned elsewhere.

So you have 2 options - Get the 1000 rs plan from airtel which is 512kbps day and 1mbps night. You will get 400-500kbps mostly upload, but as you said, if it goes down, you can't complain.
Try Tata Indicom or Railtel. Since you are a Tata indicom customer(corporate) contact your agent in Manipal.
they can pull some strings here and there and help you out
Old 6th April 2010, 13:25   #19
BANNED

In hyderabad, beam cable provides 2Mbps unlimited connection for 1000 per month. It's damn good. I usually get around 225 KBytes/s as download speed.
Old 6th April 2010, 21:19   #20
BHPian

Guys, pls understand Samurai's situation..requirement of connecting to office and carrying out operations using remote desktop etc, is not the same as downloading/streaming videos. For this, latency should be minimum, and speed should be stable, otherwise typing/using a mouse will be a nightmare. Imagine working/monitoring some critical data on a remote machine.

Among the retail/non-business solutions, your best best will be the Tata Indicom 1 Mbps unlimited one as I mentioned earlier. Apart from same upload/download speed, tata indicom claims on the website about max 1:22 contention ratio. Hence, at any point of time, the speed will not differ widely. It comes to 2950/-+S/tax per month. 1 Static IP free.

I have got this plan both at home & office. Windows Vista / Windows Server 2003 Server Remote Desktop works like a charm at High Color 16-bit resolution.

The only issue with this wireline broadband is when the local server is down (normally gets rectified within 2-4 hrs, 1 or 2 times a month) or when cable-cut situation occurs (this problem has come down drastically..last almost 2 years no cable cut has happened..after satellite dish are more commonplace and local tv cable guys do not compete with the dsl cables). For contingency, I do have Airtel at office and Reliance Netconnect at home, which are adequate for those "cannot avoid moments"....

Also note that Tata Indicom along with VSNL takeover, have the best broadband infrastructure of their own apart from Reliance optical fibre network. Smaller /local players simply operate on a lease & sell basis.
Old 7th April 2010, 00:05   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Among the retail/non-business solutions, your best best will be the Tata Indicom 1 Mbps unlimited one as I mentioned earlier. Apart from same upload/download speed, tata indicom claims on the website about max 1:22 contention ratio. Hence, at any point of time, the speed will not differ widely. It comes to 2950/-+S/tax per month. 1 Static IP free.
You have understood my requirement correctly. I checked with my Tata Indicom account manager, unfortunately they don't have this plan available for Bangalore.

Meanwhile Condor sent me this BSNL plan list: .:BB COMBO:.

Apparently BSNL offers high upload speed. If that is true, that 2799 plan should work out for me.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
You have understood my requirement correctly. I checked with my Tata Indicom account manager, unfortunately they don't have this plan available for Bangalore.

Meanwhile Condor sent me this BSNL plan list: .:BB COMBO:.

Apparently BSNL offers high upload speed. If that is true, that 2799 plan should work out for me.
My personal experience with BSNL is bad. I was one of the earliest customers of BSNL broadband in Bangalore. It worked like a charm till the time it picked up. But once the subscriber base grew, the problems started. I never had issues in speed, however, I connect to my office through VPN, and there was frequent disconnections, going up to around 1 every minute, which was simply not acceptable. Tried everything, changing cables, modems, complaints, what ever is suggested in Broadband forum, but nothing worked.
That's when I shifted to You Broadband, which I had mentioned earlier.
Old 9th April 2010, 16:16   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

My recent personal experience with BSNL, also bad. So bad, I've been with Airtel for the last couple of years. Also their upload speeds, at least when I was a customer, were modem-like or worse!

My Airtel 2Mb plan is giving me >800kbs upload speed; same experience as bullinb. At the moment, I'm waiting for a 4mbs upgrade to come through. If the upload stays the same, I won't mind; if they reduce it, I will!

I heard that BSNL are improving their plans, because they are not only not winning the broadband game, they are, in consequence, loosing landlinline connections of customers who have been with them for decades.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th April 2010 at 16:18.
Old 9th April 2010, 16:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My recent personal experience with BSNL, also bad. So bad, I've been with Airtel for the last couple of years. Also their upload speeds, at least when I was a customer, were modem-like or worse!

My Airtel 2Mb plan is giving me >800kbs upload speed; same experience as bullinb. At the moment, I'm waiting for a 4mbs upgrade to come through. If the upload stays the same, I won't mind; if they reduce it, I will!

I heard that BSNL are improving their plans, because they are not only not winning the broadband game, they are, in consequence, loosing landlinline connections of customers who have been with them for decades.
BSNL support is disgusting, The internet was down for 10 days which was followed up by a dead phone line..I surrendered my internet connection after they failed to rectify problem for more than 10 days, my dad had to run around difference bsnl office to return the modem. BSNL employees are total corrupts, no wonder they are making losses, whoever comes from BSNL to rectify problem demands money before starting their work..

Airtel 4 mbps seems very unlikely if you are placed more than 3 kms from the central office aka CO/Exchange. I am using airtel 1mbps connection now, yesterday the internet was done night time & when I called up,

me - hello, your tool shows that the connection from CO to the core is down.

support - "Sir, the whole of tamilnadu is down, they are updating some DNS", connection will be back in an hour..

me - Do you know the QoS parameters set for my connection, Is it best effort?

support - sir, the connection will come back in a hour, apologies for the disruption

me - how about enterprise customers who are on assured/expedited class, were they also affected..

He did not quite understand my question, I kept the phone after that..

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 9th April 2010 at 16:41.
Old 9th April 2010, 17:00   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BSNL support is disgusting, The internet was down for 10 days which was followed up by a dead phone line..I surrendered my internet connection after they failed to rectify problem for more than 10 days, my dad had to run around difference bsnl office to return the modem. BSNL employees are total corrupts, no wonder they are making losses, whoever comes from BSNL to rectify problem demands money before starting their work..
Similar experience. We kept the landline, and I had bought the modem, but we still had to go to two or three offices to cancel the broadband and return a wireless phone they gave us which we never wanted.

I have had very little trouble with my Airtel; downtime has been occasional minutes; at the end, with BSNL, it had been days.
Old 9th April 2010, 17:56   #26
BHPian

^/^^ +1

Years back taken BSNL..worked like a charm till it worked..once no link was there, repeated support calls went up in smoke..stopped paying the bills, both landline/broadband got disconnected. Saved the trouble of running around for surrendering..security depost almost equivalent to pending amt got forfeited. Never bothered since.
Old 9th April 2010, 21:43   #27
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, I too remembered my own BSNL experience and decided to skip it. Applying for the 4Mbps connection from Airtel tomorrow.

If upload speed gets bad enough, I'll use the video-conf in view-only mode, that will also allow me to take the meetings without dressing up for it.
Old 9th April 2010, 22:27   #28
BANNED

I think I'm the only lucky BSNL Broadband customer out here... Having a Unlimited Broadband connection (now U750+) since 2+ years and till now no problems at all.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:03   #29
Team-BHP Support

I finally have the 4Mbps Airtel connection with 2 static IP addresses.

This is the speed I got:

Old 22nd April 2010, 10:14   #30
BHPian

I have BSNL unlimited 750 plan . The result of speed test is as under

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks