Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I finally have the 4Mbps Airtel connection with 2 static IP addresses.
Which plan is this, 899/m or 1099/m? Thinking of going in for one of those.

Shan2nu
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:34   #32
Team-BHP Support

This is impatience 1699 I think, it gives 50GB per month.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:43   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Who can get "impatience" plan? I tried for 4Mb and they said "not feasible"! I heard of people being denied in Delhi too. You are lucky.

I get 2Mb Airtel with no problems, and my modem says the connection is good for 16!
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Who can get "impatience" plan? I tried for 4Mb and they said "not feasible"! I heard of people being denied in Delhi too. You are lucky.

I get 2Mb Airtel with no problems, and my modem says the connection is good for 16!
Did you get beetel ADSL2+ modem?
Old 23rd April 2010, 00:02   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I think it depends on the distance of your house from the nearest Airtel POP. In my case the POP is in the basement of my apartment building.
Old 23rd April 2010, 00:45   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, I think I have Beetel ADSL2+ modem.

Samurai, you're lucky: but they are advertising these plans as being generally available in certain cities, which doesn't seem to be strictly true. Yes; distance is everything to ADSL.
Old 29th April 2010, 21:52   #37
BANNED

Samurai @ basic house connections or consumer connections are always 1:8 or 1:4 depending on the provider . No one will offer you a 1:1 upload ,download connection .

With airtel if they give u static IP then it is a business plan and not a home plan .
For 1:1 plan you will have to get a leased line from Spectranet , Primus , Aircel etc .
I Do not know about the service providers in bangalore , but in chennai spectranet and primus have a very support .The downside is that a leased line plan might be too costly for your purpose , but the kind of support that you get is unparalleled .
Especially the spectranet and primus guy are great . Primus is the only TATA company which actually provides support ..LOL . The SLA is at 99% for a leased line .

Rather than go for a 4 mb home plan or business broadband , try to go in for a 512 mb leased line .
Old 30th April 2010, 10:00   #38
Team-BHP Support

greatmana2000, since you also commented on my E1 termination thread, it should be apparent that I am quite familiar with the technology involved.

In addition to the voice E1, I do have a 2Mbps (1:1) leased line at my office which costs around 50K per month. That is not an option for a rented apartment in a highrise building, considering both budget and feasibility.

I know that the A in ADSL means asymmetrical, so I was not expecting 1:1 performance, by merely 1:4.

Quote:
Rather than go for a 4 mb home plan or business broadband , try to go in for a 512 mb leased line .
That is a strange advice considering I have already taken a 4Mbps connection and it is working out fine for me. And this is a home connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I finally have the 4Mbps Airtel connection with 2 static IP addresses.

This is the speed I got:

Old 30th April 2010, 10:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Why did not you try with http://www.railwire.co.in/ . Raiwire gives excellent U/L, D/L speeds. You can get more information from their website. I am using for last 6 month (of course not for that much speed). I did not face any issue.

Last edited by anujmishra : 30th April 2010 at 10:26.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:11   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

In addition to the voice E1, I do have a 2Mbps (1:1) leased line at my office which costs around 50K per month. That is not an option for a rented apartment in a highrise building, considering both budget and feasibility.

I know that the A in ADSL means asymmetrical, so I was not expecting 1:1 performance, by merely 1:4.

That is a strange advice considering I have already taken a 4Mbps connection and it is working out fine for me. And this is a home connection.
Samurai .. the cost of leased lines have come down so drastically with competition that today you get a 1MB leased line for as low as 80 thousand per annum . MY 2MB leased line cost me 1.5 PA .The reason why i suggested spectranet is because when they came into the market they did a nice shakeup with the pricing and I am glad they came in because the likes of airtel , reliance , vsnl were charging a bomb .. somewhere to the tune of 3 lakhs .

The reason for suggesting a leased line is simply for the support . I have had positive experiences with spectranet , primus . The worst experience has been Youtelecom . The buggers never turned up and I had to terminate the line within a month .
with primus I had the support guys always calling me up , within 5 mins to check why the line was disconnected , whenever I switched off the router for routine maintenance .

With a lilttle pushing , they also give a cisco , or meipu router in chennai for no additional cost .

Since u already have a line I know these options do not make any sense . Just posted for info .

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 30th April 2010 at 17:14.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Samurai---it is good to know that you have finally found a solution.

I too am a disgruntled bsnl customer---today is my last day with being their customer, am changing to beamcable from tomorrow. I've been using bsnl's unlimted plan since July 2005, and in those days their service was good.

But whenever I needed them most, they've invariably let me down----times when I planned to work from home. Their *** is the worst I've seen so far. I even had to change my modem twice, and this one still goes off on its own.

I hope my experience with beamcable will be better. So far they've been prompt in getting the wiring done, and for Rs 1000 per month, I get 2mbps unlimited surfing. The good thing is that they don't need a modem (so one plug connection less) and that they have a power back up of 4 hours. Let me see how it goes from tomorrow.

BTW, can any of you tell me what is the advantage of a static ip address?
Old 30th April 2010, 18:11   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

For most of us, there is no advantage at all in having a static IP address.

If you have systems which the outside world needs to access (common examples would be running your own web server, mail server, VPN connections from other locations, home workers, etc) then it is very helpful.
Old 30th April 2010, 18:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info, Thad.

I just now tested both connections, and there is a heck of a lot of variation:-

BSNL

Download speed : 0.25 Mbps
Upload speed : 0.26 Mbps

Beam Telecom

Download speed : 1.98 Mbps
Upload speed : 1.26 Mbps
Old 1st May 2010, 00:51   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For most of us, there is no advantage at all in having a static IP address.
Correction... I should have said most of using a PC at home --- for browsing, mail, downloads, etc etc. Since I've been living a relaxed life for a few years, I tend to forget the demands of work <Blush>.

However, those that do need one are likely to know, already, why they do.
Old 1st May 2010, 09:48   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Why did not you try with http://www.railwire.co.in/ . Raiwire gives excellent U/L, D/L speeds. You can get more information from their website. I am using for last 6 month (of course not for that much speed). I did not face any issue.
I generally avoid government service providers unless I have no choice. They are not customer oriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Samurai .. the cost of leased lines have come down so drastically with competition that today you get a 1MB leased line for as low as 80 thousand per annum . MY 2MB leased line cost me 1.5 PA.
You can't compare city rates to rural rates. In my case, Tata was the only vendor willing to provide fiber connectivity to my rural office. As for the home connection, getting a leased line to rented highrise apartment is not practical or affordable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks