Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 10:03   #16
BHPian

I read something like this years back. Some american company took a patent for a TV which smells like flowers when there is flowers on the screen, and an indian person had opposed this patent saying that he had invented that technology where tv smell like basmati rice when rice is shown in the tv.

Smell cannot be transferred through cable. it can be coded at the receiving end and decoded at the transmitting end. There is nothing to worry as it is the person at the receiving end who decides what smell to smell .

I dont think the receiving end manufacturers would incorporate cyanide or anthrax as a smell.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

As Dueller and Chipz mentioned, smell cannot be transmitted as it is, but can be transported, if viable. Of course it may be possible to have devices determine the smell causing chemicals or organisms, encode them and transmit and then re-create at the receiving end using some device. This may be viable for a limited number of smells. I also hear that many fragrance companies are looking at using a similar tech for their ads. Digiscent, a USB device, which can emit certain smells based on the input it receives. Some websites may use this technology. See another one called SmellIT.

I think the same approach can be used to transmit "weather" also. The air-conditioning in theaters could be controlled by some encoding in the movies and try to recreate desert and snow scenes. It will be interesting to watch such a Hindi movie, with most song scenes shot in Switzerland

Last edited by vasoo : 7th April 2010 at 10:49.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

If smell can be somehow encoded, it can very well be transmitted through an MPEG transport stream. Then set top box or DTV at home should be able to produce the same smell by precision mixing of some chemicals within cartridges like an ink jet printer's The smell maker can be triggered based on the program time lines - indicates when to trigger one particular smell based on the content being shown - the time lines of the programs are already transmitted to STB.

There are error correction mechanisms already employed in digital transmission so the possibility of an error is very minimal.

Since transmitting all known smells is very difficult, (not because of bandwidth, but the encoding and reproduction of all smells) a fixed set of smells can be defined and they can be triggered. in this case, encoding a smell is plain and easy - just use different numbers for different predefined smells.
Old 7th April 2010, 13:38   #19
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Newspaper head lines:

30 million Britons died in terrorist smell attack while watching theri favourite soap opera.

Prime minister murdered over the phone by a radical cell.

Bank robbers first phoned the bank to knock out staff before entering bank to serve themselves.
Oh i was not thinking on those lines. What i was thinking:

1: Priyanka Chopra launching a new line pf perfume and we can taste the smell...

2. Chef sanjeev Kapoor making delicious food in his five star kitchen and it smells as good as it looks.

3. Making a video with the smell of course to prove to GM folks that my spark takes outside odour even when the knob is in recirculation mode.

There can be so many uses of it.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If smell can be somehow encoded, it can very well be transmitted through an MPEG transport stream. Then set top box or DTV at home should be able to produce the same smell by precision mixing of some chemicals within cartridges like an ink jet printer's The smell maker can be triggered based on the program time lines - indicates when to trigger one particular smell based on the content being shown - the time lines of the programs are already transmitted to STB.
I was also thinking that if there can be a DTH kind of thing in the future which can be adopted very easily in our homes and lives. I can see it coming sooner than later.
Old 27th June 2010, 00:08   #20
kkg
BHPian

[
Quote:
QUOTE=vasoo;1824789]

I think the same approach can be used to transmit "weather" also. The air-conditioning in theaters could be controlled by some encoding in the movies and try to recreate desert and snow scenes. It will be interesting to watch such a Hindi movie, with most song scenes shot in Switzerland
[/quote]

I was going through the TSK's latest Ladakh trip and my room's AC was doing its best to create that magic effect of the snow and chill around. No point saying it failed BIGTIME.

I again felt the need of some magical technology which can transport our senses to whole new level. Hope it comes early than we depart..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks