Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2014, 21:40   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: AC gas recharge, big scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
What will be the cost of replacing the condenser coil to a copper one. 1.5T Voltas. Is it around 7-10K or higher?
I replaced the back coil on my Samsung from the original aluminum one to copper and it cost me rs 2800. The front coil should be cheaper. Its a 1.5 ton window ac
Old 13th August 2014, 08:30   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this thread today and please tell me the solution to this problem. I live in punjabi bagh, Delhi and have been facing this AC gas leak issue from last two years. The same excuse of an open drain which is located a little far with no stench in the air, is given each time. I have got 4 split units of O General and all 4 are facing this issue, forcing me to spend thousands on this gas leak issue. The ACs just stop cooling after a little time and the same reason is offered as an explanation. Surprisingly the refrigerator and cars have not faced this issue. What can I do ?
Old 13th August 2014, 12:38   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Came across this thread today and please tell me the solution to this problem. I live in punjabi bagh, Delhi and have been facing this AC gas leak issue from last two years.
These guys are just making money off you. The gas leak in an AC is that high only when the connections have not been sealed off properly.
I remember technicians have tried to dupe me the second time (were able to do it once) I simply asked them if they know their job, escalated it to their superiors and problem solved - not only they filled it up for free, it has yet to 'leak' away from the last 2 years.

Try contacting some technician you can trust first though.
Old 14th August 2014, 08:57   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

I have contacted 3 different set of teams and all 3 came up with the same reason for the gas leak issue. So now I have come to believe there explanation. They even showed me the pipe which has literally gone black. Now what I am thinking is wouldn't some sort of paint or anti rust coating prevent this corrosion of the copper pipes?
Old 14th August 2014, 15:56   #80
BHPian

Quote:
I have contacted 3 different set of teams and all 3 came up with the same reason for the gas leak issue. So now I have come to believe there explanation. They even showed me the pipe which has literally gone black. Now what I am thinking is wouldn't some sort of paint or anti rust coating prevent this corrosion of the copper pipes?
Facing similar gas leakage problem for the past many years being in same part of Delhi as you. Every year I have to get the gas recharged, and get the leaked joints or pipes welded. Irrespective of the brand, this problem is quite common in my neighborhood. Though OGeneral's worked flawlessly for the initial 2-3 years, but have now joined the others for an annual repair. No coating has been able to solve this till now, but I feel Window A/c's are more prone to this problem. Installed 2 Godrej split's last year on somebody's recommendation, and they have been doing fine as of date. Let's wait till next year to get the actual result.
Old 14th August 2014, 16:18   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Facing similar gas leakage problem for the past many years being in same part of Delhi as you. Every year I have to get the gas recharged, and get the leaked joints or pipes welded. Irrespective of the brand, this problem is quite common in my neighborhood. Though OGeneral's worked flawlessly for the initial 2-3 years, but have now joined the others for an annual repair. No coating has been able to solve this till now, but I feel Window A/c's are more prone to this problem. Installed 2 Godrej split's last year on somebody's recommendation, and they have been doing fine as of date. Let's wait till next year to get the actual result.
The problem for me has increased many folds now since all the ACs in the house are in there 4th year now. The guy who came last time told that 2 ACs have become faulty beyond repair due to this corrosion thing and apparently there compressors have conked off. The other 3 ACs have already got 2 gas fills each in this season itself and already 2 of them have again stopped cooled.
Few people I have talked to are of the opinion that Windows AC are less prone to develop this.

What is the solution to this. I cannot go on buying a new AC every 3 years!!
Old 14th August 2014, 18:25   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Every split ac must be installed , leak tested , vacuum leak tested and then charged with refrigerant.

The next time you face this issue , the best thing to do is to remove all refrigerant , leak test the whole unit with soap solution - the charging valves , the piping,the condenser(outdoor unit) and see if pressure holds.

If the pressure does not hold there could be a leak in the piping , the charging valves , the condenser or the evaporator( indoor unit).

Get the leaky part/portion changed , leak test all joints again , pull vacuum and see if it holds for at least 30 minutes.Then break the vacuum with refrigerant and charge as per the manufacturer's recommendations
Old 15th August 2014, 13:56   #83
BHPian

Quote:
I guess this issue is more severe around your house than. Out of my 5 Ac's, only the General Window has developed a leak twice this year, else the rest of them hold good for atleast a season after repairs. And though my dad deals with the AC guy, AFAIK he guarantees the repair atleast for 1 season. So the General will be repaired again FOC if I am right.

But, do post here if you find a permanent solution to this.
Old 28th November 2014, 19:07   #84
Max
BHPian

My split air conditioner gas leaked 2 time few years ago because installer put valve to connect 2 pipes. We took off the valve and got it welded. That fixed the leakage problem.

Quote:
The problem for me has increased many folds now since all the ACs in the house are in there 4th year now. The guy who came last time told that 2 ACs have become faulty beyond repair due to this corrosion thing and apparently there compressors have conked off. The other 3 ACs have already got 2 gas fills each in this season itself and already 2 of them have again stopped cooled.
Few people I have talked to are of the opinion that Windows AC are less prone to develop this.

This should not happen so early, that also in window air conditioners!! Are you using hard bore well water while servicing? Or may be you stay in factory / industrial area with air pollution? or near sewer? Hydrogen sulphide turns copper black.

Quote:
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2013/846405/
Hydrogen sulphide (H2S) is considered one of the most corrosive atmospheric pollutants. It is a weak, diprotic, reducing acid, readily soluble in water and dispersed into the air by winds when emitted from natural, industrial, and anthropogenic sources. It is a pollutant with a high level of toxicity impairing human health and the environment quality. It attacks copper forming thin films of metallic sulphides or dendrite whiskers, which are cathodic to the metal substrate, enhancing corrosion. H2S is actively involved in microbially influenced corrosion (MIC) which develops in water, involving sulphur based bacteria, in oxidizing and reducing chemical reactions. H2S is found in concentrated geothermal brines, in the atmosphere of geothermal fields, and in municipal sewage systems. Other active atmospheric pollutants include SOX, NOX, and CO. This investigation reports on the effects of H2S on copper in microelectronic components of equipment and devices, with the formation of nonconductive films that lead to electrical failures.
I have never seen gas leakage problem happening every year in mumbai.

Quote:
http://www.answers.com/Q/Does_copper_rust_or_not_rust
No, Copper Does Not Rust... It Corrodes
However, it will oxidize and turn dark brown and then green over time. The Statue of Liberty looks green because copper has a property of turning green due to carbon dioxide and the moisture in the air. That is not rusting; it is called copper patina.
More info
Exposure to air or oxygen causes the brownish film on copper piping. Water - especially mineralized water - causes greenish or bluish corrosion.
Buy an air conditioners with Blue fin condensers. I have seen Panasonic air conditioners which contains blue-fin condensers.

Quote:
https://www.bijlibachao.com/air-cond...nium-coil.html

The most common solution is to pre-coat the coil with anti-corrosive materials, used by brands such as Voltas etc. Another name for this technique used by brands such as Panasonic, Electrolux, O General, Blue star etc, is “Blue fin condenser”. In this, the condenser coil is protected from the humidity and moisture.This technique can be very useful to people living in the coastal areas or close to salty water body.

Last edited by Max : 28th November 2014 at 19:19.
Old 30th April 2016, 10:18   #85
BHPian

This is a very common problem in Noida, and i don't think its a scam. The open drains do release gases into the atmosphere and the copper tubes react and get corroded. Since the system is pressurized, it is pretty easy for any of the corroded spots to develop a leak. Is anyone aware of some coating that we can do on the entire tubing system to prevent corrosion? Like we use paint on our cars, or galvanization of iron. There must be some way to stop corrosion.
On a different note, i am looking to buy a 2 Ton Window AC for our living room. Advice on best brand with minimal gas leakage. I am looking at Hitachi. Is Voltas better or equal to Hitachi in terms of cooling and quality of part used?
Old 4th May 2016, 21:43   #86
BHPian

Just came across this thread, and my parents are facing the exact same problem in Rohini area. There's a large open drain close to the society they live in and everyone in the society seems to be facing the same problem. My parents have 3 ACs Whirlpool, Carrier and Hitachi and I have seen a myriad of other brands in the neighboring apartments but there's no difference.
I wonder if this is such a common problem, no manufacturer has tried to come up with a product that's immune to open drains??
Old 6th May 2016, 07:24   #87
BHPian

I wonder if the noxious fumes from the nearby drains could develop leaks in our airconditioners, what havoc that must be doing on human bodies.
Old 6th May 2016, 10:13   #88
Senior - BHPian

I really do not think an A/C requires a 'gas recharge' for atleast 10 years. I have a 2007 purchased window A/C running in some outhouse and it has not required a gas recharge till now and really cools instantly. Doing frequent gas recharges may compromise the seals and system because I doubt the mechanic thoroughly knows what he is doing or is cognizant of keeping seal integrity once it has been opened up so many times the high pressure is bound to create leak in some old part somewhere near the replaced seal.
Old 7th May 2016, 06:24   #89
BANNED

@lurker; I agree, that any decent Window unit should not need a recharge unless there is a leak. However, a split has more reasons to leak so may need a recharge after say five years.

A counterpoint, how many of us have had our refrigerators recharges?
Old 16th June 2016, 18:32   #90
BHPian

I am just back from a quarrel with the ac service guy. My 3 year old Bluestar 1 ton split I have, stopped cooling and I had to call the customer care. Two guys came over, did a check up and said gas level is zero and they have to take it to their service center, to refill and to check for leaks. When I asked for the minimum psi for this gas, he replied 40. I asked him to check again and this time the manometer showed 40. When I stared at him, he said the minimum psi should be 70. I asked him to leave. (They were asking for a visiting charge of 500 for this research work).

This thread is an eye-opener. What is the optimum level of psi needed ? Any help is appreciated. Any pointers to cleaning the indoor unit, fixing the occasional water drip would be great. Thank You !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks