Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 10:30   #1486
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Hi Behemoth, I tried this again on a C20 line in my house, where my microwave is connected. When switching on the converter, the DB MCB does not trip but the MCB on the converter itself is tripping. The Maxine converter has a C10 MCB on it. I fail to understand this design of theirs with no consideration to real life application. If their inrush current is high, shouldnt they design their device so that their own MCB doesnt trip? They claim to have 50 years of experience in this business and other than this, I have not had issues with their other equipment...
The problem is that even if i change my DB MCB to C32, due to frequent power cuts, when the power comes back, it will cause the inbuilt MCB on the converter to trip, due to which one cannot use this in a continuous operation...
Hi DIYGuy,
The MCB on your step down transformer is also underrated for this usage with the AMP. The AMP is a 500 VA unit, which typically takes 5A at 110V. The inrush current for this will be around 25A. This may be causing the MCB to trip. Best bet would be to get the C10 MCB changed to C16 MCB on the step down unit. If this still does not work, there may be an issue with your Amp and you should get it checked.

Since this discussion is going OT, would request you to PM me in case you need any further advice.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 10th January 2012, 10:45   #1487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Guys..

...the delivery on 14th Jan. Will share my experiences!

Regards,
Behemoth
Congrats on your purchase!
The Internet Radio is what keeps me going most of the time. The App control on the phone is really good too and streaming music from the phone is a big+. These are some of the things I like on my device. Have fun with yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi DIYGuy...

...Regards,
Behemoth
Will PM you, but this is something I have seen users on other forums floundering with too, with no real solution as a reply, so thought it might help others as well.
I want to mention that I am testing the Step down unit without connecting my amp, at zero load! All of the trip situations that I have mentioned till now are with the step down converter in a stand alone, without it powering any device/my receiver.
I do not witness a trip when my AV receiver is running. It is only the time I switch on the step down (with or without any load doesnt matter) and when the power comes back after a powercut (again with or without any load, doesnt matter).

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Thanks.

Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

I request you to read the Announcements Section before proceeding

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th January 2012 at 13:14.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:17   #1488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
some solution like this.

a) Transmitter ........
b) Receivers + amplifiers which will receive the audio signals via wireless and drive the Surround speakers

I want to use the regular surround speakers that i already have.
This is available (1# Stereo Wireless transmitter and 2# receiver + 20W plate amplifiers). Receivers and amplifiers are small enough to be housed on top of speakers or even inside speakers with DIY. Transmitter would connect to AV receiver.

Amplifiers are Class D, but good enough for surround.

But it requires 110V/220V socket to be available near speakers.

So, you would still have wires running to speakers. However, instead of running from AVR, wires would be running from electrical socket to speakers.

This solution makes sense if you can easily hide these electrical wires.
Old 10th January 2012, 13:28   #1489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are particular you can check out the multi-cd changers one gets for cars...
Thanks for the idea, diyguy. But what is the source of power for these car CD-Changers? And also - outputs?
Old 10th January 2012, 14:58   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Thanks for the idea, diyguy. But what is the source of power for these car CD-Changers? And also - outputs?
naveenroy, power will have to be 12V DC in all likelihood, you should be able to find that for home use quite easily. Output of this will have to be fed into any Amp or receiver or any device that can take in RCA Composite input (red/white)
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 20:16   #1491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
naveenroy, power will have to be 12V DC in all likelihood, you should be able to find that for home use quite easily. Output of this will have to be fed into any Amp or receiver or any device that can take in RCA Composite input (red/white)
Ok, this hunt begins. One last question - price ranges? Any specific manufacturers to look at? Me no car guy you see.
Old 10th January 2012, 23:39   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, this hunt begins. One last question - price ranges? Any specific manufacturers to look at? Me no car guy you see.
Sorry, i've never had a CD changer, but the common makes are Sony, JVC, Alpine, Pioneer...
If I were you, I would rather play my music off a USB stick or a Ipod like device, rather than the hassle of loading CDs and changing them often...
Old 11th January 2012, 03:42   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
thanks for the info and checked what you are using but my need is different.

I already have surround speakers. Cant we have some solution like this.

a) Transmitter which takes input from the receiver surround speakers out and transmits them as FM signal or whatever way it can with less loss.
b) Receivers + amplifiers which will receive the audio signals via wireless and drive the Surround speakers with wires connected from the receiver/amplifiers.

I want to use the regular surround speakers that i already have.

Looks like you need the rocketfish adapter. It is available in best buy in the US. Connect a transmitter to your receiver/audio head unit, rear speakers this way you have your front set speakers, separate from the rear set.

Thx
Prasad
Old 11th January 2012, 09:59   #1494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I were you, I would rather play my music off a USB stick or a Ipod like device, rather than the hassle of loading CDs and changing them often...
Ah, have the mp3 stuff. But need a source to play my collection of CDs. Thats why. And well, CDs are much better than badly encoded mp3s.
Old 11th January 2012, 10:06   #1495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, have the mp3 stuff. But need a source to play my collection of CDs......
It might be cheaper to RIP these CDs to some lossless format (E.g. FLAC). Though file size would be larger than MP3, quality would be exactly as a CD.

On top of that, you can then browse through your collection based on Artist, Album and many other ways on TV that is connected to HT and create playlists etc.
Old 11th January 2012, 15:26   #1496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
It might be cheaper to RIP these CDs to some lossless format (E.g. FLAC). Though file size would be larger than MP3, quality would be exactly as a CD.

On top of that, you can then browse through your collection based on Artist, Album and many other ways on TV that is connected to HT and create playlists etc.
Yeah, somehow feel nostalgic about them CDs and don't want to do away with them but rather use them. Also, if I was to rip them to flac, would have to find a media player that plays .flac etc.
Old 11th January 2012, 15:49   #1497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, somehow feel nostalgic about them CDs and don't want to do away with them
Then you need a CD Jukebox.

Amazon.com: Sony CDPCX355 300-Disc MegaStorage CD Changer: Musical Instruments

Jukebox that can handle 300 CDs would cost 15,000 (Price + Shipping + Customs)
Old 15th January 2012, 16:44   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
Will PM you, but this is something I have seen users on other forums floundering with too, with no real solution as a reply, so thought it might help others as well.
I want to mention that I am testing the Step down unit without connecting my amp, at zero load! All of the trip situations that I have mentioned till now are with the step down converter in a stand alone, without it powering any device/my receiver.
I do not witness a trip when my AV receiver is running. It is only the time I switch on the step down (with or without any load doesnt matter) and when the power comes back after a powercut (again with or without any load, doesnt matter).
Just to close the loop on this one, I changed the MCB on the Step Down Converter as well as in my DB to C32 and I no longer have the trip on zero load scenario, when powering on the converter. The inrush current was causing the MCB on the Step Down to trip as well as the DB MCB, inspite of no load connected to the step down. Hope this helps others in the future.
Old 15th January 2012, 23:34   #1499
Senior - BHPian

Sadly, my stereo amp - CA conked off yesterday. As I put on the power switch, I got a faint burning smell and the amp did not turn on. I have not inspected it inside though there is still a faint burnt smell coming from the amp. Any ideas what it could be and if easily replaceable. I had bought it second hand and want to know who I can approach to get it fixed.
Old 16th January 2012, 00:48   #1500
BHPian

Quote:
Sadly, my stereo amp - CA conked off yesterday. As I put on the power switch, I got a faint burning smell and the amp did not turn on. I have not inspected it inside though there is still a faint burnt smell coming from the amp. Any ideas what it could be and if easily replaceable. I had bought it second hand and want to know who I can approach to get it fixed.
Thats sad! From the symptoms sounds like the power supply got fried. Hopefully a replacement should fix it...this happened once to a friends desktop PC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks