Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 10:29   #1786
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

You yourself would also be able to do this. The connectors can be pried open easily with a sharp tool (if you want to avoid cutting the wire itself). Inside you'd be able to see the two wires. I am not sure how polarity would matter here, better ask someone knowing a bit about speakers. But if you're planning to do it yourself it's not rocket science and you'd easily be able to do it.
Old 20th February 2013, 10:41   #1787
BHPian

It's Audio Store, Ritchie Street. That guy deals with Denon , Pioneer and Yamaha. He refused to give any Denon products without bill ( not sure why).
Old 20th February 2013, 10:43   #1788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Roy
Don't connect the speakers together to the Avr as it will fry the receiver as connecting two speakers in parallel in the same output reduces the resistance and will overdraw current from each output.
Thanks, I suspected as much. Resistors in parallel will increase current and in series will decrease current flow.
Just wondering if it is possible to mount additional (CPU Style) cooling fans inside the unit, to allow for this?

Quote:
What you can do is connect the the additional pre-amp out to the input of the 5.1 speaker set if it has a built in sound processor and amplifier (eg comp speakers). If it does not have a built in amp, you will need to get another 5.1 amp which can be connected to the main amp through an optical or coaxial out which can give you a 5.1 signal.
I do have a spare amp, so I will try this. Thanks.

Quote:
It is easy to connect two subs as Onkyos normally have one sub out and one pre out on which you can connect the second sub (this is how I have connected my system too with an Onkyo 609.)
Haven't checked on this. Will try and get back. Thanks.

Quote:
Better spatial sound can generally be improved by increasing the distance between the front left and right speakers. In my onkyo 609 there is also a setting in which you define the angle between the front speakers as narrow and wide which changes the virtual sound effect for better Spatial perception.
Yes, I have that setting as well. But, the difference is not very perceptible, for most types of music I play. I need to perhaps increase the distance between the speakers and try fiddling with this again.
Old 20th February 2013, 11:16   #1789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi dre@ms,

I bought this setup from one of the shop in Ritchie St ( of course without bill)

Pioneer VSX-522K - 17K
JBL SCS 200.5 BK - 16K

Including Belkin HDMI and Spdif cable.

I did go through various options like Onkyo 4505,Denon 1312XP and Yamaha 298. But this deal seems to be fine with me as I can replace the AVR anyway with better buyback by the same dealer . He become a good friend of mine (after having a detailed discussions and debates).

I did the installation by own and it was very easy to do (though no OSD via HDMI).
Thanks for the breakup. After your post, I headed up to hifivision and was much impressed on the Denon+Wharfedale setup. Hope to get them one by one.

Any shops in Hyderabad where I can audition the above products.
Old 1st March 2013, 22:53   #1790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi dre@ms,

Pioneer VSX-522K - 17K
JBL SCS 200.5 BK - 16K
Wonder if I can source these from Delhi grey market? Do we need additional AVR with the above products? Essentially I am looking for a complete HT Pkg around 25-30K range.
Old 7th March 2013, 07:46   #1791
BHPian

Couple of queries from the experts after a round of googling and reading

I understand that a standalone AVR with configurable speaker options (Front, Center, Rear, Surround and Sub woofer etc) provides better experience than a HTiB, but is it really that significant in a small room of say 15x13? If so, I would like to start slow and get a good AVR coupled with front and center and add rear, surround, sub woofer later, will that work and provide good enough experience for movies and music from the start or sound inadequate until I add the rear/sub woofer etc?

Secondly I have an old Sony MHC-G88 lying around, which maybe used as pre-amp, the specs state 80W RMS per channel (think its 2.1), with two bookshelves (SS-H991, 8 ohm) and two surround speakers (SS-SR991, 16ohm). Can these be reused to limit the initial expense for now and replaced later?

I am planning to limit the initial expense for now to ~25-30K INR

Thank you all for your valuable inputs and guidance

Last edited by Shankyz : 7th March 2013 at 07:52.
Old 7th March 2013, 21:03   #1792
BHPian

Hi Shankyz

To answer your question, yes it does make a difference getting a dedicated AVR versus a HTIB even in that space. The difference however is subjective. If HTIB sounds good to you then thats what matters.

The most important part of the system are the speakers. Out of which the center being most important out of those. Followed by the fronts and lastly the rears. The sub depends on the speakers you get, if you get front towers with large presence then that sometimes means you dont need a sub. Remember to buy the same series of centres and fronts to maintain timbre. Rears are important but you maybe able to get away with less expensive solutions.

I would recommend starting with good speakers because they can last you long time, 15-20 years easy. AVR get updated every year and major changes every 3-4 years should keep you up to date. You can get a basic AVR now and then move up. Buy the best speakers you can afford now. You probably maybe able to use the sonys for rears.

I dont see the use of the Sony as a preamp and in most cases wont fit. Sony's have proprietary connectors for speakers. Either use the Sony in its entirety or get a new system. You should not mix and match. Its like fixing a Maruti gearbox on a Bimmer. If you find the Sony good enough to keep wanting to use it then dont change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post

I understand that a standalone AVR with configurable speaker options (Front, Center, Rear, Surround and Sub woofer etc) provides better experience than a HTiB, but is it really that significant in a small room of say 15x13? If so, I would like to start slow and get a good AVR coupled with front and center and add rear, surround, sub woofer later, will that work and provide good enough experience for movies and music from the start or sound inadequate until I add the rear/sub woofer etc?

Secondly I have an old Sony MHC-G88 lying around, which maybe used as pre-amp, the specs state 80W RMS per channel (think its 2.1), with two bookshelves (SS-H991, 8 ohm) and two surround speakers (SS-SR991, 16ohm). Can these be reused to limit the initial expense for now and replaced later?

Last edited by Raj1008 : 7th March 2013 at 21:07.
Old 8th March 2013, 00:18   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post

By Pre amp you mean you will connect your Sony music system to the Amp's front speaker Pre amplified out?

If yes, that should reduce the load on the amp and it will be able to power the other speakers better.

Please correct if my understanding is way off course.

MaSh
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:47   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone!

Is there someone in Bangalore who makes speaker boxes? I have some drivers and want to make use of them.

I did try searching on the net but to no avail, though many suggested SP road, but aahh... that's another ocean!

any pointers are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th March 2013, 02:47   #1795
BHPian

Found a very good link explaining hifi systems with unbiased and factual data rather than commercial centric jargon. Must read for anyone who is in the process of understanding how to build a hi-fi system

http://www.dt4u.com/dtsystems/hifisystems.php

Follow your way through all the pages, it's definitely worth your time!

Last edited by dgupta : 24th March 2013 at 02:49. Reason: Parent link instead of sub-section
Old 24th March 2013, 18:14   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Everyone!

Is there someone in Bangalore who makes speaker boxes? I have some drivers and want to make use of them.

I did try searching on the net but to no avail, though many suggested SP road, but aahh... that's another ocean!

any pointers are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
In South Bangalore near Jayanagar 9th/Block there is a shop opp Rajeev Gandhi Institute of Medical sciences.
I know he makes speaker boxes, seen it when passing by. But no idea on the quality of the boxes. You can go and checkout for yourself.
If you are unsure of the location here are some landmarks
- Same road has a BTS Bus depot. The other end of the road is MK Ahmed a prominent landmark.

Last edited by Fillmore : 24th March 2013 at 18:16.
Old 3rd April 2013, 20:17   #1797
BHPian

Guys which would be the best HT 5.1 under 10k?

Sound quality being most important
Old 14th April 2013, 14:30   #1798
BHPian

My Onkyo AV receiver has a pure audio mode, which I like to use when listening to music. However there is no output from subwoofer in this mode, example drum roll in Money for Nothing. User manual does not mention whether subwoofer pre-out is off or on in this mode. Cross over frequency is set at 80hz both in receiver and woofer. Does anybody know a work around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post

Perception of quality is subjective but great sound quality from a 5.1 HT system under Rs.10k seems like a misnomer to me. Consider a 2.1 system and increase your budget if you are particular about sound quality. Save up for it because a good music system / HT is a long term investment. Since there is no mechanical wear and tear, they normally last a long time, unless you are buying cheap local or Chinese products.
Old 16th April 2013, 18:22   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post

Please take a look at this http://www.fendaindia.com/products_view.asp?id=72.

http://www.fendaindia.com/products_view.asp?id=72

rgds,
Nikhil
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-f6000u.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-f6000u.jpg  

Old 24th April 2013, 18:35   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Guys,

Just completed my Home Theater setup today, I was adding each component separately to build completely customized Home Theater for the best experience in the last 6 months. Back in India I was using Samsung 32 LCD with Samsung home theater kit that is straight forward and no support for blu-ray as the player I had was DVD.

Now the one I build here in my house at NJ is with the following components:
  • LG 47LW5600 3D USB 1080p DLNA LED Smart TV 47" & LG wifi adapter and Passive 3D glasses [Skype, Netflix, Youtube .etc.)
  • Sony BDP-S480 1080p HDMI USB 3D DLNA Party Streaming Blu-Ray/DVD player
  • Sony HDMI Multi channel 7.1 AV receiver STR-DH520 - 3D Pass-through
  • Cable vision Optimum TV connection with HD DVR 1080p(Brand: Scientific Atlanta)
  • Polkaudio subwoofer RM705 100W
  • Sony front speakers SS-H991 x 2 - Rated impedance: 8oms Max, input: 125W, 3 way sys bass reflex type (Spk 6", Tweeter 2", Super Tweeter 1")
  • Sony front high speakers SS-SR991 x 2 - Rated impedance: 16oms
  • Sony center speaker SS-CN15 - Rated impedance: 8oms Max input: 120W Magnetically shielded type
  • Rocketfish RF-WHTIB rear(sorround) speaker wireless kit (receiver & sender)
  • Sony sorround speakers SS-SR15 x 2 - Rated impedance: 8oms Max input: 70W
  • Omni Mount sorround speaker stand x 2
  • Miyama two conductor speaker cables
  • Monster standard S16-4R-CL Standard 16 Guage four conductor speaker cable (wireless receiver)
  • WireLogic Hi-Speed HDMI cable with ethernet x 3
  • Monster subwoofer cable
though it damaged the pocket bit heavy but the end result was amazing. I just watched Avatar 3D version, Wow !
Just upgraded my home theater to the following configuration, just a DLP 3D enabled projector is missing and very soon it will be added to the home theater setup (the upgrades have been highlighted in bold):

• LG 47LW5600 3D USB 1080p DLNA LED Smart TV 47" & LG wifi adapter and Passive 3D glasses [Skype, Netflix, Youtube .etc.)
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - DNLA, 3D, SD, Wireless Network enabled Bluray Player
  • Onkyo TX NR1008 9.2 Channel 945 Watt Receiver
  • Cable vision Optimum TV connection with HD DVR 1080p(Brand: Scientific Atlanta)
  • Netgear Push 2 TV PTV1000 WIDI adaptor
  • Polkaudio subwoofer RM705 100W
  • Polk Audio Monitor 60 AM6025-A 2-Way Floorstanding Speakers 200w 8ohms 90db sensitivity x 2
  • Polkaudio Monitor Series silver edition floor standing speakers (rear upto 1000W) x 2
  • Polkaudio CS1 center channel speaker
  • Rocketfish RF-WHTIB rear(sorround) speaker wireless kit (receiver & sender)
  • Polkaudio C15 sorround Speakers x 2
  • Miyama two conductor speaker cables
  • Monster standard S16-4R-CL Standard 16 Guage four conductor speaker cable (wireless receiver)
  • WireLogic Hi-Speed HDMI cable with ethernet x 3
  • Monster subwoofer cable

Last edited by trammway : 24th April 2013 at 18:59.

Most Viewed