Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2013, 13:48   #1921
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
hi guys,

confused between Pioneer RS 33 and Onkyo 3500. Need some advice.

Pioneer seems to be bassy and audio clarity is better in Onkyo!
Did you have a look at Yamaha yet? Try sampling Yamaha Home receivers as well. I was flat on getting an Onkyo but after hearing a Yamaha, I felt the sound quality to be better. The Yamaha comes with an active subwoofer which is an advantage over the passive one. I am talking of Yamaha RXV373 Home receiver and NSP40 speaker package.

All said, sound quality is very perspective and buy the one which sounds the best to your ears.
Old 7th October 2013, 13:55   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Did you have a look at Yamaha yet? Try sampling Yamaha Home receivers as well. I was flat on getting an Onkyo but after hearing a Yamaha, I felt the sound quality to be better. The Yamaha comes with an active subwoofer which is an advantage over the passive one. I am talking of Yamaha RXV373 Home receiver and NSP40 speaker package.

All said, sound quality is very perspective and buy the one which sounds the best to your ears.
Cool. Thanks for the advice. Will have to try out both Yamaha and Denon. Had bought my dad a YHT-196 last year and loved the Yamaha clarity.
Old 8th October 2013, 07:45   #1923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
Cool. Thanks for the advice. Will have to try out both Yamaha and Denon. Had bought my dad a YHT-196 last year and loved the Yamaha clarity.
I think it's the speakers that make the difference in sound clarity.. Pay attention to those as well.
Old 8th October 2013, 14:47   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
... with an active subwoofer ...
Active subwoofers are the norm rather than the exception in the HT market.
Old 8th October 2013, 23:58   #1925
BHPian

Sold My diminuitve Infinity Alpha sub woofer and bought a Klipsch SW-112.
Old 9th October 2013, 12:05   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
Sold My diminuitve Infinity Alpha sub woofer and bought a Klipsch SW-112.
Congratulations.

What kind of base does it produce? Tight? How much did it cost you?

I have a Bose Freestyle and looking for an upgrade.

MaSh
Old 9th October 2013, 22:14   #1927
BHPian

I have a Panasonic home theatre - SA- HT995. The dvd player is not playing DVDs well anymore. I would like to replace the DVD player to a more contemporary one instead of repairing it. Is there a direct fit replacement anyone can recommend?

I basically want to keep the tower speakers/sub woofer setup but change the head unit. This one doesn't come with an external amplifier so I guess I cannot just pick up any dvd player from the market. Pl help.
Old 9th October 2013, 22:52   #1928
BHPian

hello friends
i am getting an ONKYO TX NR 616 A/V receiver from US. Price seems affordable at 318 USD. Concerns are with US equipments because they work with 120V / 60Hz.
Since the power consumption of such a device which is essentially an amplifier is quite substantial, what do you recommend for voltage step down? a simple high wattage step down transformer or step down transformer combined with automatic voltage stabilizer or some thing else or something more? Which brand of such an equipment do you suggest?

also pls let me know what else I should take care of with an equipment from US? I happen to own Sony Bravia 42W670a model whose spec says it supports PAL, NTSC3.3x and NTSC 4.4x formats. One question is would a BD player playing PAL / NTSC format connected via this A/V receiver send this video signal directly to the LED TV? Do I have to worry if the US equipment would in some way not work with TV / BD player that receives / sends PAL signal?

thanks
Rajesh C

Last edited by cs_rajesh : 9th October 2013 at 22:56. Reason: added more queries
Old 12th October 2013, 23:08   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
hello friends i am getting an ONKYO TX NR 616 A/V receiver from US. Price seems affordable at 318 USD. Concerns are with US equipments because they work with 120V / 60Hz. Since the power consumption of such a device which is essentially an amplifier is quite substantial, what do you recommend for voltage step down? a simple high wattage step down transformer or step down transformer combined with automatic voltage stabilizer or some thing else or something more? Which brand of such an equipment do you suggest? also pls let me know what else I should take care of with an equipment from US? I happen to own Sony Bravia 42W670a model whose spec says it supports PAL, NTSC3.3x and NTSC 4.4x formats. One question is would a BD player playing PAL / NTSC format connected via this A/V receiver send this video signal directly to the LED TV? Do I have to worry if the US equipment would in some way not work with TV / BD player that receives / sends PAL signal? thanks Rajesh C
Go ahead and get the Onkyo. I got a Yamaha last year and no issues with power step down or video formats. I purchased a 1kva step down Maxine brand. It is toroidal. Also I have a power conditioner before the Yamaha which I got for 60$ in the US.
On the step down you shouldn't need a 1kva, I didn't plan my purchase well. I could have made do with .5kva I feel, not sure. Do the math well. I had an issue with the step down that it would trip its own MCB and often the MCB on my DB due to the inrush current spike. I had to change the MCBs to one that handled this short spike...
Old 12th October 2013, 23:19   #1930
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One question is would a BD player playing PAL / NTSC format connected via this A/V receiver send this video signal directly to the LED TV? Do I have to worry if the US equipment would in some way not work with TV / BD player that receives / sends PAL signal?
Go ahead Rajesh.

PAL and NTSC are a thing of the past now because they refer to composite analog signals. With digital video signals, it doesn't matter anymore.

What you should be worried of however, is the region coding of the BD player. Try to source a region-free BD player. Else you may have to source your discs accordingly. India belongs to Region C, US to Region A.
Old 14th October 2013, 23:02   #1931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Congratulations.

What kind of base does it produce? Tight? How much did it cost you?

I have a Bose Freestyle and looking for an upgrade.

MaSh
Thank you.
Technical Specifications for the Klipsch is as below:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 26Hz-120Hz ± 3dB
MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 116dB @ 30Hz
AMPLIFIER: BASH® Digital Hybrid
AMPLIFIER POWER: FTC Rated Power: 300 watts continuous @ <2% THD / Dynamic Power*: 600 watts
DRIVE COMPONENTS: 12" (30.5cm) Active non-resonant Woven Fiberglass driver
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass-reflex via front-firing slot port
INPUTS: L/R Line-level RCA jacks, L/R High-level speaker binding posts, WA port
OUTPUTS: None
HEIGHT: 16" (40.6cm)
WIDTH: 14.5" (36.8cm)
DEPTH: 19" (48.3cm)
WEIGHT: 46lbs (20.9kg)
An Attachment of the Carton.
It cost me AED 1400/-from the original retail of AED AED 3300/-.Discount was becuase of the Electronics fest we had last week.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-klipsch.jpg  

Old 15th October 2013, 08:10   #1932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hello friends
i am getting an ONKYO TX NR 616 A/V receiver from US.
thanks
Rajesh C
Hey Rajesh,

I hope you haven't bought this yet. If you haven't please hold. I have heard big issues about NR616. It is last year model and that's why you are finding it at low price. The new replacement 626 is better than this and it is around $150 more. But it has taken care of issues that plagued 616. I was told by a sales guy at Frys here that it has HDMI and overheating issues. Because of that, Best buy and Frys have removed Onkyo line from their home theater demo rooms.

Here is the thread to the issues. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415258/th...roblems-thread

hope you make an informed decision.
Old 15th October 2013, 19:25   #1933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Go ahead Rajesh.

India belongs to Region C, US to Region A.
Hi Gannu_1, thanks for the clarification. would it be possible to make any BD player region free with some code breaking??

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Also I have a power conditioner before the Yamaha which I got for 60$ in the US.
I could have made do with .5kva I feel, not sure. Do the math well. I had an issue with the step down that it would trip its own MCB
thanks DIYguy, yes for my purpose 0.5 KVA should be enough, but thinking abt longer run if I were to attach other devices that need stepdown and high wattage consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Hey Rajesh,

I hope you haven't bought this yet. If you haven't please hold.

But it has taken care of issues that plagued 616. I was told by a sales guy at Frys here that it has HDMI and overheating issues. Because of that, Best buy and Frys have removed Onkyo line from their home theater demo rooms.
Hi Chevelle, thanks but have already ordered and I think the parcel would have reached already.
I did happen to come across the thread from AVSforum earlier but saw that the complaint was raised in june 2012 and i made an optimistic assumption that probably such issues were sorted out in the same model this year. Further, no other reviews (esp ones from cnet or any other forum) made that mention of problems with 616. But yes, I didn't give a thought why the prices should be so cheap!!!

I did consider the 626 but featurewise I did not find additional features and dropped it out of consideration . On hindsight, that model would have made sense or should have picked yamaha v473 or some other.

Better hope this works fine. I shall ask my bro to open the box and check once in detail and if he finds any bugs, I shall ask him to return back.

Also read in that forum that firmware updates break even working features and i am wary of firmware updates also.

Are there any happy owners of 616?

thanks
Rajesh
Old 16th October 2013, 23:37   #1934
BHPian

My gear now consists of the following:
Denon AVR 4308
Kef Coda 90 Floor Standers
Klipsch SW112
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-avr4308.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-sw112.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-coda.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-fs-coda.jpg  

Old 19th October 2013, 15:20   #1935
BHPian

Just got my Klipsch Rf62 with centre and surrounds along with Marantz 6007 and I am very happy.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks